Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 03:06 AM   #16051
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Dave, do you use the original hood, the rectangular one? I was lucky when I bought mine that the seller offered both lens and case and the original pouches for each, and at least the original front cap, I forget whether I got the original rear cap with this lens.

Mine also came with the original two-part rectangular hood, which consists of a 58mm-77mm step-up ring, then the hood itself which has a 77mm thread. As Jorgario has discovered, you can't even use a 58mm filter on full frame without vignetting -- you have to use a 77mm filter on the step-up ring.

I'm not sure if a standard any-brand 58-77mm step-up ring plus standard 77mm hood would work. The step-up ring that comes with the original hood is a clever design specially for the job, and I think you might get vignetting with just an off-the-shelf replacement. It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried that approach.

Since I usually use my 20mm on APS-C these days, I just use a round metal 58mm wide angle hood with no problem with vignetting.

01-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #16052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Mine also came with the original two-part rectangular hood, which consists of a 58mm-77mm step-up ring, then the hood itself which has a 77mm thread. As Jorgario has discovered, you can't even use a 58mm filter on full frame without vignetting -- you have to use a 77mm filter on the step-up ring.

I'm not sure if a standard any-brand 58-77mm step-up ring plus standard 77mm hood would work. The step-up ring that comes with the original hood is a clever design specially for the job, and I think you might get vignetting with just an off-the-shelf replacement. It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried that approach.

Since I usually use my 20mm on APS-C these days, I just use a round metal 58mm wide angle hood with no problem with vignetting.
Interesting, I have similar issues with hoods and filters on my Soligor 20mm CD f2.8 lens... so I usually just use a manual shade (my left hand cupped around the sunny side of the lens) amazingly, I can actually see the haze/flare dissapear in the viewfinder when I have my hand just right.

I've also seen little goose neck, clamp held shades that you can mount in a flash show, and bend the goose neck arm holding the card stock into place to shade your lens (i think you can also put reflectors into the holder for macro work)
Eric
01-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #16053
abw
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Interesting, I have similar issues with hoods and filters on my Soligor 20mm CD f2.8 lens... so I usually just use a manual shade (my left hand cupped around the sunny side of the lens) amazingly, I can actually see the haze/flare dissapear in the viewfinder when I have my hand just right.

I've also seen little goose neck, clamp held shades that you can mount in a flash show, and bend the goose neck arm holding the card stock into place to shade your lens (i think you can also put reflectors into the holder for macro work)
Eric
I've got that same lens (but branded under the Cambron name, PK mount) and have not been able to find a hood that does not vignette on it.
01-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #16054
Pentaxian

Truthfully, the original Takumar hood gives so little flare protection that I've often used my hand as a shade as well. I know what you mean about seeing the flare appear and disappear in the viewfinder, and since I sometimes like a bit of flare in a photo it's great to be able to control it that way.

01-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #16055
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Eric
Interesting hand approach to "hooding" your lens. I usually wear a medium-brimmed hat when out with my cameras, and have often used the hat as my hood supplement--works very well.
01-13-2019, 03:14 PM - 7 Likes   #16056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This works for me as well.

From my first outing with the Super Tak 28/3.5 (earlier version) in Jan. 2016. Mine suffers from softness at the right edge, but still works ok for verticals like this. One day I hope to get it repaired or replaced - it's a wonderful lens

Last edited by paulh; 01-13-2019 at 03:53 PM.
01-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #16057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tak20 and hood

I rarely bother with hoods. I don't find flare to be a problem with the SMC Takumar 20mm except rarely and I can usually eliminate it by using a hand, or angling the lens downward a little sometimes. I did notice that filters caused noticeable vignetting so I don't use them anymore with this lens (and don't miss them).
I'd like to invite anyone who uses the Tak20 to join the new Takumar 20mm f4.5 Group on Flickr. We're up to three members. It would be nice to get everyone with the lens into the group.

01-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #16058
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If filters cause vignetting, rather than use a filter the size of the lens's filter rings, use one or more step-up rings and use a somewhat wider filter. Some step-up rings are very slim. In this case the slimmer the better.

The angle of the light penetrating the outer margins of the filter could cause vignetting, too, of course. The more angle, the more filter material reducing the light. One would assume that this kind of vignetting would be more pronounced with deeper filters, and somewhat less with lighter filters. Testing the lens with different density filters could show if that was the reason. If not, I'd suspect it to be mechanical vignetting from the filter's outer ring acting like a too-narrow hood.
01-16-2019, 09:00 AM - 8 Likes   #16059
Pentaxian

Takumar 55mm f/1.8 on Fujifilm X-M1

Mara
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #16060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lovely image, Jonathan!
01-17-2019, 01:29 AM - 10 Likes   #16061
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

That's absolutely wonderful. Photography that makes you really feel something.

Here's a path to nowhere with the 20mm (yep, posting metaphors for my own life again):

01-17-2019, 02:49 PM - 11 Likes   #16062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note to self: take gloves to shoot sunset next time the temperature is 2°. K10D with SMC Takumar 35/3.5

01-18-2019, 03:13 AM   #16063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Lovely image, Jonathan!
That's absolutely wonderful. Photography that makes you really feel something.
Many thanks
01-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #16064
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Note to self: take gloves to shoot sunset next time the temperature is 2°. K10D with SMC Takumar 35/3.5

We you new to this thread. I do not recall seeing your alias before. Nice entry
01-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #16065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
We you new to this thread. I do not recall seeing your alias before. Nice entry
Thank you!