Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 03:16 PM - 5 Likes   #16111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I tried the SMC Takumar 35/3.5 on my K3 for the first time today and like the results.

02-10-2019, 05:16 PM - 5 Likes   #16112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Takumar 35mm 3.5

I also like this Lens ,In fact today shot it on my Sony A-700. A picture of Mt Sinai Harbor NY
Attached Images

02-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #16113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm not sure if a standard any-brand 58-77mm step-up ring plus standard 77mm hood would work.
Hi, I just tried this yesterday night and I doesn't even work with the first step-up ring (58-62) !

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 06:52 PM ----------

A little late answer but I was doing a travel around Mexico City and no time to see PF !!

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 07:00 PM ----------

Dartmoor, I guess you are referring to this hood: Asahi Pentax Metal Lens Hood for Takumar 20mm f/4.5 24mm f/3.5 NEAR MINT RA14 | eBay
02-11-2019, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #16114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
Hi, I just tried this yesterday night and I doesn't even work with the first step-up ring (58-62) !

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 06:52 PM ----------

A little late answer but I was doing a travel around Mexico City and no time to see PF !!

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 07:00 PM ----------

Dartmoor, I guess you are referring to this hood: Asahi Pentax Metal Lens Hood for Takumar 20mm f/4.5 24mm f/3.5 NEAR MINT RA14 | eBay

Thanks, that's useful info that confirms that it's best to use the correct original hood with the Tak 20 on full frame. The one in your ebay link is the correct hood. (Edit: As Ray Allen has pointed out below, the hood in the ebay auction is actually for the 24mm and will vignette if used on the 20mm for full frame. My photos below are of the correct 20mm hood.)

The only thing that really bugs me about the original hood is that you have to remove the rectangular part to be able to put a lens cap on the step-up ring -- either that or remove the entire hood, including step-up ring, and put a cap on the lens itself. What I'd really like is a rectangular cap that could be pushed onto the front of the hood while the whole thing remains on the lens. I suppose it would be possible to 3D print one, but I haven't got a clue how to go about it.

Edit: For anyone who might not be familiar with the original hood, I've just done some quick snaps.

The lens with no hood:

The lens with the original step-up ring:

The lens with the full original hood:

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 02-12-2019 at 01:27 AM.
02-11-2019, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #16115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeannie waits for me near the walkway that separates two ponds. S-M-C Tak 20/4.5 on *ist D:
02-11-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #16116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto-Takumar 55mm f2.0 lens

Two more with the auto-Tak 55 f2. The frog photo was strongly cropped. It was shot at f4. The flower shot was cropped a bit and shot at f 2.8. The colors of the flowers are not entirely faithful. They seem to be refractive colors, like those of Morning Glories, and if you've ever taken a shot of Morning Glories you know how disappointing the images are. The colors of the original were striking, but probably not quite so bold. I thought if I could increase the overall brightness the colors would be closer to what they were, but when I tried it the pinks "bloomed" and destroyed any detail in the petals.I hope the image works though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 02-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
02-11-2019, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #16117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, that's useful info that confirms that it's best to use the correct original hood with the Tak 20 on full frame. The one in your ebay link is the correct hood.

The only thing that really bugs me about the original hood is that you have to remove the rectangular part to be able to put a lens cap on the step-up ring -- either that or remove the entire hood, including step-up ring, and put a cap on the lens itself. What I'd really like is a rectangular cap that could be pushed onto the front of the hood while the whole thing remains on the lens. I suppose it would be possible to 3D print one, but I haven't got a clue how to go about it.

Edit: For anyone who might not be familiar with the original hood, I've just done some quick snaps.

The lens with no hood:

The lens with the original step-up ring:

The lens with the full original hood:
I would like to clear up some misinformation about the 20mm and 24mm lens hoods. The Ebay item indicated that the hoods were the same and that is incorrect. Both lenses have a filter thread of 58mm so while the 24mm hood will fit on the 20mm it will vignette. The 20mm hood comes in 3 pieces to allow 77mm filters to be inserted.

I have an excellent version of the 24mm lens complete with hood and cases. I don't have a 20mm lens.

Here are the details of both lenses and their filters from Gerjan van Oosten's book The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide. I have a copy from the original 1500 print run and, no, you don't have enough money to buy it from me.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/QWTKWp]Super Takumar 20mm_ACD[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/]Ray Allen[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2dBgYn3]Super Takumar 24mm_ACD[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/]Ray Allen[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

02-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #16118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I would like to clear up some misinformation about the 20mm and 24mm lens hoods. The Ebay item indicated that the hoods were the same and that is incorrect. Both lenses have a filter thread of 58mm so while the 24mm hood will fit on the 20mm it will vignette. The 20mm hood comes in 3 pieces to allow 77mm filters to be inserted. I have an excellent version of the 24mm lens complete with hood and cases. I don't have a 20mm lens. Here are the details of both lenses and their filters from Gerjan van Oosten's book The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide. I have a copy from the original 1500 print run and, no, you don't have enough money to buy it from me.

Good catch, Ray. I hadn't spotted that the ebay auction was actually for the 24mm hood rather than the 20mm, as they look so similar at a glance. To be clear: my own photos above are of the correct 20mm hood, which I have used many times while shooting 35mm film with no trace of vignetting. It's actually a two-part design, not three-part. The third thing that you can see in the photo from Gerjan van Oosten's book is just a filter that has been included in the shot to show how they are used with the hood. It's not part of the hood itself (I know you already knew that; I just wanted to make everything extra-clear).

Who'd have thunk that a mere lens hood could be so complicated?

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 02-12-2019 at 01:46 AM.
02-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #16119
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is a design result of the decision to make the whole series of lenses compact and only 58mm front thread. I can imagine the discussion that went into the hood design
02-12-2019, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #16120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to clear up some misinformation about the 20mm and 24mm lens hoods.
Good info, Ray - thanks for posting. I'm using a generic metal wide-angle hood on my Tak 20 (on crop), and it works pretty well. I do see a bit of vignetting at times, but it's not troublesome for me.

Mono version of a previously posted image - S-M-C Tak 20 on *ist D:
02-13-2019, 01:49 AM   #16121
Pentaxian

Here are the details of both lenses and their filters from Gerjan van Oosten's book The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide.

I've just noticed a beautiful little detail in those pages from the book: the hyperfocal markings on the lenses are called "snapshot indication". From now on, whenever I zone focus using the hyperfocal, I'm going to call it snapshot mode.
02-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #16122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just noticed a beautiful little detail in those pages from the book: the hyperfocal markings on the lenses are called "snapshot indication". From now on, whenever I zone focus using the hyperfocal, I'm going to call it snapshot mode.
My 28's were normally used at f/8 in "snapshot" mode!
02-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #16123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That book is full on interesting details. Yes, the snapshot indicators are in red so that you can't miss them - as long as you know what they mean. Whenever I use either my 35mm, 28mm or 24mm on the K10D I just set it on the red marking at f/8 safe in the knowledge that the images will be sharp and in focus. Takumars Rule OK!

Gee, does that mean we are taking snapshots in point-and-shoot mode? Nnnnnnnnnnno, we take photos.
02-14-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #16124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sheep contemplating its life's ambition. All sheep have the same life's ambition: to get killed as soon as possible in the most spectacularly stupid way possible, preferably involving great heights or fast moving vehicles. (55mm/2.0 Super)

I thought that one of the often-advertised charms of driving narrow roads in the UK was getting stopped by herds of sheep being slowly driven across or down the road ahead by local farmers. The part about cars smashing into the sheep seems to get left out of the travel videos and brochures.

Here in western Illinois, on occasion, we will have the case of a drunk teenager, riding a motorcycle or driving a car way too fast, slamming into a stray black angus cow at 2 or 3 o'clock on a Sunday morning. It's hard to blame the cow, though.

02-14-2019, 01:23 PM - 3 Likes   #16125
Pentaxian

Here's a panorama made of 6 vertical shots with the Super Takumar 28/3.5. shot at around f/8 I think. This was on a fine winter morning over a lake/swampy area close to my home called Roegwold.IMGP7213-Pano.jpg | Hans Vedder | Flickr