Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 03:06 PM - 9 Likes   #16186
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 645 with a SMC Takumar/6x7 55/3.5 (via a K&H Concept adapter). Expired Rollei Retro 400S home developed in Rodinal (1+25 for 10.5 min.) ... another series of walkabouts in Poitiers. (x-post from Medium Format thread)

03-04-2019, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #16187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I've been using Flickr since 2011 (both free and now "Pro" membership) and never had to submit a phone number. I've been asked to provide one a few times, but I just clicked "no thanks" and moved on. Flickr may not be perfect, but for me it's the best solution for sharing and hosting images.

It had asked me for a phone number many times before, but I'd been able to just ignore that and sign in anyway. This time it simply would not finish logging me on until I'd entered a number. The Flickr login screen is also now saying that Yahoo accounts won't work soon either (at least here in the UK), so I expect at some point I'll be required to sign up to Smugmug to access my Flickr account. Which I won't be doing. I only use Flickr for hosting photos to post here, so I'll just find an alternative. Renewing my donation here for more attachment space is probably the easiest solution.
03-04-2019, 04:31 PM - 4 Likes   #16188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with Macro-Takumar 50/4 (preset)

03-04-2019, 07:24 PM - 6 Likes   #16189
Pentaxian

Macro-Takumar 50/4 Preset:

03-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #16190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Pentax 645 with a SMC Takumar/6x7 55/3.5 (via a K&H Concept adapter). Expired Rollei Retro 400S home developed in Rodinal (1+25 for 10.5 min.) ... another series of walkabouts in Poitiers. (x-post from Medium Format thread)

Dear Jean,

These are absolutely stunning images; I really like the tones and the moody yet attractive way you work with B & W.

Best wishes,
hans
03-05-2019, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #16191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a color version of a previously posted image. From Dec. 2017 with the S-M-C Tak 20.4.5 on *ist D. As a bonus, some pentagonal (is that a word?) flare included.
03-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #16192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Fantastic images!

03-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #16193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Dear Jean,

These are absolutely stunning images; I really like the tones and the moody yet attractive way you work with B & W.

Best wishes,
hans
Bonjour Hans,

Thanks a lot ! Salut, J
03-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #16194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Fantastic images!
Merci !
03-05-2019, 12:52 PM - 11 Likes   #16195
Pentaxian

Just realized that I did not post these here ... more fun with a 67 Tak on the 645.

(x-post from Medium Format thread)

I have some rolls of HP5 that are expiring next month, thus it's time to shoot'em. Here, a bit of fun with a SMC Takumar/6x7 105/2.4 attached to my Pentax 645 via a K&F Concept adapter. I took Charlotte to her swim lesson and I then slipped off to my favorite cemetery in Poitiers ... Chilvert, for it's older sections. Home developed in LC-29 and scanned with an Epson V600.

03-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #16196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taks are great lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You can donate to PF using CC direct, not via PP.
I did try several times to donate using a credit card, two credit cards in fact, but it seems PayPal is still involved. I dislike and distrust how it seems to want to insert itself in every online transaction. There's always some problem with doing a transaction involving PayPal. They seem to expect you to do the work of troubleshooting and it is work and it usually in my experience ends in frustration. There's no customer service. In this case, when filling in the CC information, I couldn't enter a billing address in the US (which the CC has on file) because PayPal detected I was doing the transaction from Ecuador and would not accept a billing address from another country (?!). It required a zip code from Ecuador.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well from a share here standpoint just use flickr bbcode share works fine. I don't begrudge them making money, Flickr has managed to stick around a long time with many changes, Smugmug I am sure would love to be your print source but they don't require it. the previous unlimited space deal was not realistic, it costs money to keep that hard drive farm supporting it all with backups, plus provide the other aspects of Flickr. I've always used pro so I wasn't really impacted by changes (and haven't used much lately but will be using it more again as I shut down some other sites. it's not perfect but there are far worse sharing sites. I'd rather pay a little and control my content more (even if I moved to use a personal website exclusively I still need to host the images somewhere
I agree with everything you said. Much as I dislike the tendency of companies to seemingly try to profit more and more from their services, I do acknowledge that they need to meet operating expenses and payroll. It's a little suspect when a company changes hands and then offers less for more. Regardless, $20 a year shouldn't break anyone's finances. I was unable to make the donation because of PayPal's involvement, however. We have a bad history and, judging from my experiences in the past, I think they probably have me flagged . . .

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think for people willing to put in the effort you can buy hosting from places like DreamHost for less than 3 dollars a month and make your own website. They allow unlimited traffic and can be tailored around you. Installing blog software in your cpanel is a breeze (though I don't recommend wordpress).

Flickr is just kind of a joke now but it is still easy.
I've considered this but who's ever going to see your photos apart from your mother?
03-05-2019, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #16197
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I try to avoid PP. I have not done a transaction through them for about 3 years. I have done plenty of online transactions with suppliers who have a direct payment portal and also offer PP.

I believe a year ago I sent my payment to PF with a direct transaction.

Why would I want to give my actual transaction choices to a US company not involved in the transaction just so they could treat my data with the gay abandon(19th century expression) demonstrated by US companies such as Facebook. One bad apple pollutes the rest, or at least the perception of the rest.
03-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #16198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really understand. Can't you just have the pictures hosted elsewhere, and paste the links to them in the window that comes up when you press the forum insert image icon?

If the image hosting service is free, that doesn't cost anything.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I did try several times to donate using a credit card, two credit cards in fact, but it seems PayPal is still involved. I dislike and distrust how it seems to want to insert itself in every online transaction. There's always some problem with doing a transaction involving PayPal. They seem to expect you to do the work of troubleshooting and it is work and it usually in my experience ends in frustration. There's no customer service. In this case, when filling in the CC information, I couldn't enter a billing address in the US (which the CC has on file) because PayPal detected I was doing the transaction from Ecuador and would not accept a billing address from another country (?!). It required a zip code from Ecuador.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 06:06 PM ----------

I agree with everything you said. Much as I dislike the tendency of companies to seemingly try to profit more and more from their services, I do acknowledge that they need to meet operating expenses and payroll. It's a little suspect when a company changes hands and then offers less for more. Regardless, $20 a year shouldn't break anyone's finances. I was unable to make the donation because of PayPal's involvement, however. We have a bad history and, judging from my experiences in the past, I think they probably have me flagged . . .

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 06:08 PM ----------

I've considered this but who's ever going to see your photos apart from your mother?
03-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #16199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taks are great lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I don't really understand. Can't you just have the pictures hosted elsewhere, and paste the links to them in the window that comes up when you press the forum insert image icon?

If the image hosting service is free, that doesn't cost anything.
I will, Goats, but I don't like to put people through the inconvenience of leaving the site and going to another. And I'll still look into making a donation without PP's interference. Thanks for that suggestion.
03-06-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #16200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I will, Goats, but I don't like to put people through the inconvenience of leaving the site and going to another. And I'll still look into making a donation without PP's interference. Thanks for that suggestion.
1) I use Google Photos to host my pictures. I open one of my pictures to normal viewing size there, right click on it, and then click "Copy image address."

2) Then I go to the tab where I have a thread open in Pentax Forums, and, in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread area, and I click on the little mountain-with-sun icon above the main message text area.

3) A little window opens up that says "Please enter the URL of your image." I put my cursor in the box below those words, right-click, and click on "Paste." That puts the address of my message in the box.

4) I click okay and the address appears in the main message box between the correct [IMG] tags.

5) I type the text of my message and then click "Submit Reply."

6) My message posts in the thread with my picture displayed in the message, NOT as link to elsewhere.

* * * (Note that I do not use the Google Photos sharing link, which would cause a link to be displayed in my PF message. I copy the address of the image when it is being displayed in Google Photos. Those addresses are lo-o-o-ong, but they work just fine in these forums.