Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #16231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'd recommend the 24mm on a Spottie, as it's useful in many more situations than the 20mm on a film camera. The 20mm really is an ultrawide on 35mm film.

One of the 28mm Taks is worth considering too, and much easier to get hold of than the rarer 24mm. Might be worth you grabbing a 28mm for now until a decent copy of the 24mm turns up (unless you've already got a 24mm lined up ready to buy).
No just kicking around the idea. 28mm was something I was thinking about but kinda meh on the idea since I own the 35. This will also be used on the KP at times if that's a consideration.

03-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #16232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Your problems are over, Dave. My previously mentioned method seems to get around the privacy issue related to Google Photos.Please give this a try to see if it works for you:

Thanks Ray. I've already managed to post from Google Photos using basically goatsNdonkey's original method, but I'll give your version a try in the morning when I'm back on my photography-oriented computer (I'm posting this from the TV). It's good to have your method available as an option too.
03-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #16233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No just kicking around the idea. 28mm was something I was thinking about but kinda meh on the idea since I own the 35. This will also be used on the KP at times if that's a consideration.
I don't have a 20mm but I do have a 35, 28 and 24. The 28mm is nice but the 24 is marvellous and wonderful. As I have had it for a number of years I have no idea of their rarity nowadays. Just remember that 24mm is 36mm on APS-C and much wider on full frame.
03-08-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #16234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ray. I've already managed to post from Google Photos using basically goatsNdonkey's original method, but I'll give your version a try in the morning when I'm back on my photography-oriented computer (I'm posting this from the TV). It's good to have your method available as an option too.
OK. I'm still trying to work out why goatsNdonkey's method works for him, you and Paul and not for me and Minimonster. I doubt that I will find the answer to that but at least I have a solution that works for me.

03-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #16235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I have a question for you Tak aficionados. If I wanted to get a good wide angle tak for my Spotmatic when my current tak collection is a 35 f2.3 and a 50 1.4; would you recommend the 20mm or 24mm?
An old rule of thumb is to always have focal lengths in the ratio of 2:1. That points solidly at the 24 from the 50. Of course, you could always blow the decade's budget and get a 17 ... My film kit was 28, 55, 135 (and yeah, the 135 is a bit over the 2x, but the price on the 110/120 ...)
03-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #16236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
OK. I'm still trying to work out why goatsNdonkey's method works for him, you and Paul and not for me and Minimonster. I doubt that I will find the answer to that but at least I have a solution that works for me.
Does mine not work? I can see it...
03-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #16237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Does mine not work? I can see it...
Yes, you can see it but you are the only one. Same thing happened with my post and that is how I think it is supposed to work.
But there are others (as I indicated) for whom the method provided by goatsNdonkey works. I don't know why that is but I would love to know.

Give my new method a try and we will let you know if we can see your image.

03-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #16238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taks are great lenses

Your advice about using Google Photos has come along at just the right time. I've just tried logging into Flickr and somehow it has figured out that the phone number I entered at their demand isn't legit. It looks like the old pay-as-you go number I gave them has expired from lack of use, and they must have sent a verification text that was rejected, which let them realise that I'd given a duff number.

Well I'm damned if I'm going to give them my real number, even if that means I can't log in anymore, so to heck with them. That's that for me and Flickr.

I took photos quite happily for thirty-plus years without an internet existing to post them on, and I've got no qualms about going back to just shooting for my own pleasure if web companies start making it all too much a hassle.
Scary, isn't it? No privacy.
03-08-2019, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #16239
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your advice about using Google Photos has come along at just the right time. I've just tried logging into Flickr and somehow it has figured out that the phone number I entered at their demand isn't legit. It looks like the old pay-as-you go number I gave them has expired from lack of use, and they must have sent a verification text that was rejected, which let them realise that I'd given a duff number.

Well I'm damned if I'm going to give them my real number, even if that means I can't log in anymore, so to heck with them. That's that for me and Flickr.

I took photos quite happily for thirty-plus years without an internet existing to post them on, and I've got no qualms about going back to just shooting for my own pleasure if web companies start making it all too much a hassle.

The problem with that is that we enjoy seeing the pictures you choose to share.
03-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #16240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The problem with that is that we enjoy seeing the pictures you choose to share.

Thanks Tim. I truly enjoy the company of the online friends I've met here in the Takumar Club and the K10D Club in particular, and I'm not planning on giving it up anytime soon. I trust Adam to keep the privacy levels here on PF at settings I'm comfortable with.
03-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #16241
Pentaxian

So now it turns out that I'm only actually able to post things from Google Photos here if they are shots that I'd originally uploaded using Google+. I've just tried uploading a new photo to Google Photos and posting that here, and it doesn't work. I'll give Ray's method a try next time I've got a shot worth posting, but my general feeling right now is:

!

Edit:
Eight hours later I've suddenly realised that the reason it didn't work is that I pasted the link into the body of my post here rather than using the little mountain icon thingy to insert the photo. Maybe I'm just getting too old to understand all this interweb electrickery stuff anymore.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.
03-09-2019, 11:15 AM - 4 Likes   #16242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple from the farm with the KP and SMC Tak 50/1.4 @f1.4

03-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #16243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So now it turns out that I'm only actually able to post things from Google Photos here if they are shots that I'd originally uploaded using Google+. I've just tried uploading a new photo to Google Photos and posting that here, and it doesn't work. I'll give Ray's method a try next time I've got a shot worth posting, but my general feeling right now is:

!

Edit:
Eight hours later I've suddenly realised that the reason it didn't work is that I pasted the link into the body of my post here rather than using the little mountain icon thingy to insert the photo. Maybe I'm just getting too old to understand all this interweb electrickery stuff anymore.
Dave,
Thank you so much for that vital and important piece of information. You have finally solved the last bit of the puzzle as to why you, goatsNdonkey and Paul could post images from Google Photos while others and I could not. They were actually images from Google+ that were now visible in Google Photos. As I had never posted any images in Google+ mine had the rules from Google Photos applied to them. Which, of course, begs the question: why did they change the rules?
I guess we will never know but we do have a work around. And that allows you to maintain your rage against Flickr.

Keep showing us your images via Google Photos. It would be so dull here without you and your ponies.
03-09-2019, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #16244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, it doesn't work from Google photos...

Here it is from Flickr.

K3 with SMC Takumar 50\1.4
03-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #16245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
So, it doesn't work from Google photos...

Here it is from Flickr.

K3 with SMC Takumar 50\1.4
Well, it will work from Google Photos if you do this:

1. Choose your Google Photos image and click on the Share icon.
2. Click on Create Link and then click on Copy.
3. Go to Embed Google Photos in your Website in your browser
4. Paste the copied link into the box that says “PASTE GOOGLE PHOTOS LINK HERE” and click on “GENERATE CODE”.
5. When the code is generated it will then automatically scroll down
6. Copy the link under “Direct Link (URL)”
7. In your forum post, click on the “Insert Image” icon (mountains and sun) and paste the copied link.
8. Click on “Preview Post” and your image should be there.

But I am glad that you posted the image from Flickr because that is one superb image. Great colours, contrast and detail. Good camera and lens combo.