Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14324 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 10:14 AM - 8 Likes   #16726
Pentaxian

Tak club on the second page? Blasphemy.

Here is a shot I took earlier this year that I wet printed yesterday at my dark room class. Shot with the Tak 35 f2.3 and tri-x 400. My trusty Spotmatic was the camera of choice.
The "scan" isn't great because the travel tripod I used to take the shot doesn't point down (so I just placed the book on my couch and propped it up with a remote control) and my actually good tripod doesn't have a head. Eventually I'll get around to scanning more of my prints.

10-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #16727
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Great, lovely and sharp image !
10-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #16728
Pentaxian

Cutting a tooth. SMC Takumar 55mm f/2.

10-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #16729
Pentaxian

Here is a shot I took earlier this year that I wet printed yesterday at my dark room class. Shot with the Tak 35 f2.3 and tri-x 400. My trusty Spotmatic was the camera of choice.
The "scan" isn't great because the travel tripod I used to take the shot doesn't point down (so I just placed the book on my couch and propped it up with a remote control) and my actually good tripod doesn't have a head. Eventually I'll get around to scanning more of my prints.

That's a nice image. I really like the scene as well.

10-24-2019, 12:00 AM - 8 Likes   #16730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super Tak 35/3.5 on *ist D:
10-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #16731
Pentaxian

Here is a shot I took earlier this year that I wet printed yesterday at my dark room class. Shot with the Tak 35 f2.3 and tri-x 400. My trusty Spotmatic was the camera of choice.The "scan" isn't great because the travel tripod I used to take the shot doesn't point down (so I just placed the book on my couch and propped it up with a remote control) and my actually good tripod doesn't have a head. Eventually I'll get around to scanning more of my prints.

Looks great, and it's good to see a scan made from a wet print rather than straight from the negative. I've always got great respect for those who can print well, because I was always utterly hopeless in the darkroom.
10-24-2019, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #16732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I've been experimenting lately with spot focus. It's hard to believe I've been taking pictures for 40 or so years and have only just discovered it. Anyway, I was out one day and saw a young indigenous woman sitting on the embankment near the river but on the other side and quite far away. I tried to take some pictures of her thinking I could crop and enlarge later, but using an AF 24-120mm zoom at 120mm with multi-zone autofocus was only getting me shots in which she was very blurred. Then it occurred to me to try spot focus, and the result amazed me. So, lately I've been using an AF lens, 55-300mm) with maximum aperture (f5.6 at 300mm) and spot and getting some good results with close-ups of flowers and birds. Today, I was thinking I should try shooting with a Takumar 135mm lens on the camera. The camera is a crop sensor Sony so the effective focal length is 200mm while the MFD remains about 4 feet and the maximum aperture is still f3.5 (though depth of field changes a bit). The lens I used is the SMC version, and the first subject is the two-tone preset model. The picture is interesting from a technical standpoint, but the spots of minor wear on the paint are much more noticeable in the photo and there's color fringing where the white lettering is adjacent to the black of the lens. (Curiously, it's cyan in the further distance and magenta in the nearer.) The photo can be seen here: Takumar 135mm f3.5 preset | Sony a65 with SMC Takumar 135mm ? | Flickr
Update: There are three photos showing the results posted after the above picture. The DOF seems very thin so precise focusing is called for.
I always use spot focus for exactly same reasons you cite.

10-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #16733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Looks great, and it's good to see a scan made from a wet print rather than straight from the negative. I've always got great respect for those who can print well, because I was always utterly hopeless in the darkroom.
That negative was really hard to print. It was really thin neg so burning and dodging times were super tight and it took me more tries than I care to count. It's still not perfect but I'm not going to go insane over it.
10-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #16734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Really like the graceful composition.
10-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #16735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

on Flickr
Lovely image. Makes me sick, though, when I look out and see frosty grass with dead leaves ...
10-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #16736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That lust looks so peaceful. The green tone really suits it.
10-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #16737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Really like the graceful composition.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Lovely image. Makes me sick, though, when I look out and see frosty grass with dead leaves ...
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
That lust looks so peaceful. The green tone really suits it.

thanks guys, appreciate the nice words
CR - consider yourself lucky - at least you're not seeing canyons and hillsides on fire like they are here in Socal!
10-25-2019, 01:24 AM   #16738
Pentaxian

thanks guys, appreciate the nice words
CR - consider yourself lucky - at least you're not seeing canyons and hillsides on fire like they are here in Socal!

I've seen that in the news here. Stay safe, Paul.
10-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #16739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
All Canadians don't adore winter?
10-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #16740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
All Canadians don't adore winter?
Some of us grew up on the WET coast. Lowest temp on record was +5 F