Lovely Ray.
Thanks, Eddy.

04-03-2020, 06:52 AM - 5 Likes   #17207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Macro-Takumar 50/4

04-03-2020, 05:00 PM - 11 Likes   #17208
Pentaxian

This morning, I went out with a wonderful lens that I don't use enough, the SMC Tak 135/2.5. I have a hard time picturing such a long focal length.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 04-03-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: grammar
04-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #17209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
This morning, I went out a wonderful lens that I don't use enough, the SMC Tak 135/2.5. I have a hard time picturing such a long focal length.
Lovely light, nice shot paddy.

04-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #17210
Pentaxian

Thanks, Eddy! I noticed that many of the pictures you post have boosted black levels, and I like the effect. I used to always boost contrast and never thought to go the other way before, but it gives a soft, washed-out, nostalgic feel that really works well with these older lenses. The original out of the camera was kind of dark and uninteresting. Playing with the curves and boosting the low end all around brought back that early-morning-desert-sun feel. So, thanks for the idea!
04-03-2020, 09:13 PM - 2 Likes   #17211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Macro-Takumar 50/4:

04-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #17212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Thanks, Eddy! I noticed that many of the pictures you post have boosted black levels, and I like the effect. I used to always boost contrast and never thought to go the other way before, but it gives a soft, washed-out, nostalgic feel that really works well with these older lenses. The original out of the camera was kind of dark and uninteresting. Playing with the curves and boosting the low end all around brought back that early-morning-desert-sun feel. So, thanks for the idea!
Thanks! This video is worthwhile for some basics;

I have to agree with them that boosting Exposure is something I try not to do too much, play with all the other sliders first (and the dehaze!), sometimes you get a better vibe from those silders than Exposure.

04-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #17213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Takumar 55/1.8 on *ist D (color version):
04-05-2020, 11:06 AM - 9 Likes   #17214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks! This video is worthwhile for some basics;

Learn Lightroom in Under 30 Minutes! MASTERCLASS - YouTube

I have to agree with them that boosting Exposure is something I try not to do too much, play with all the other sliders first (and the dehaze!), sometimes you get a better vibe from those silders than Exposure.
Thanks for the video! I haven't upgraded Lightroom since they stopped allowing you to buy it, so I don't have the dehaze slider or the Transform tab (that looks wild!), but it looks like everything else is the same. I learned a few things, there, like I had no idea what the "masking" slider did in the sharpening tab. I use the HSL sliders quite a bit for orange and yellow, but I've never tried split toning. It looks powerful; I should do some more research.

I think the biggest boost to my post-processing came when I started using the localized adjustment brush. Being able to, say, brighten up someone's face without throwing the whole picture out of whack is huge. Recently, I discovered the Calibration tab makes me much happier with the way colors are rendered. I've found the "Camera Neutral" profile much easier to work with than the default "Adobe Standard." Also, my Sony raw files always had a slight sickly greenish cast to anything yellow/orange, including skin tones and much of the landscape here. The "Green Primary" slider fixes that right up. Plus, moving that slider way past sane levels gives that "teal & orange" look that's become so popular in movies in the past fifteen years or so.

---------- Post added 04-05-20 at 11:25 AM ----------

I've been obsessed with 50mm for years, but I may be turning over a new leaf here. I really like this 135mm perspective. I took my bike and the SMC 135/2.5 out into the empty city again this morning.

I'm glad solo outdoor exercise is still okay. I'd go crazy without my bike rides.

04-05-2020, 05:43 PM - 8 Likes   #17215

Waiting For Walk Time

Rascal shot with Takumar Fat 35mm on K1.
Attached Images

04-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #17216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MKohoutek Quote
Rascal shot with Takumar Fat 35mm on K1.
Looks more like MushPuppy to me than Rascal.
04-05-2020, 08:32 PM - 5 Likes   #17217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D and Super Tak 85mm f1.9. Both images shot at f1.9 in AV mode. (X posted)

Geraniums on the nature strip.

Mitsubishi ASX (not mine!) with a touch of Orton Effect.
04-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #17218

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Looks more like MushPuppy to me than Rascal.
MushPuppy? A name? or a mushing puppy?

I wish she would pull me! I actually walk her with my “kickBike” but she just tags along beside me.

Kickbike America - World's Best Adult Kick, Electric & Dog Scooters.
Fun scooter for dogwalking/running, and a basket holds my camera!
04-06-2020, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #17219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MKohoutek Quote
MushPuppy? A name? or a mushing puppy?

I wish she would pull me! I actually walk her with my “kickBike” but she just tags along beside me.

Kickbike America - World's Best Adult Kick, Electric & Dog Scooters.
Fun scooter for dogwalking/running, and a basket holds my camera!
we have had several "MushPuppies" over the years. The mushiest was Lady, a Smooth Collie we rescued from a senior facility at 6 years old. She was so fat, she couldn't climb into a car without help, 19 inches at the shoulder and 52 pounds, she looked like an army duffle bag with legs and a tail (she was sable with a few white markings). After three months, with the encouragement of the local Columbian Ground Squirrel population (waddle, waddle, walk, trot, run, gallop) she lost 17 pounds and outran a 15 year old on in line skates gliding down our 7% hill.

After we had had her for about a week, a neighbour had a school emergency with her son, and dropped off her 6 month old daughter in a panic. We introduced Lady to Cheara, who promptly began pulling ears, grabbing tongue, and other such 6 month old exercises. Being the nervous sort, I watched carefully for the reactions from Lady. When Cheara got bored and stopped, Lady put out her left leg and tapped Cheara, asking for more.

No problem, thought I. I went upstairs to heat up a cuppa and make room for it. When I came back down it was awful quiet. As our own children were both older than Cheara's mother, we were out of practice with babies, and I had not closed the door to the wooden stairs going down to the basement. When I saw them, Lady gave me a frown. She was lying across the doorway, preventing Cheara from going to the stairs, and the baby was sound asleep on her tummy.

A few months later, the mine where I was employed went bankrupt. In my office my feet became her resting place as I surfed the net looking for work.

MushPuppy extraordinaire!
04-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #17220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
we have had several "MushPuppies" over the years. The mushiest was Lady, a Smooth Collie we rescued from a senior facility at 6 years old. She was so fat, she couldn't climb into a car without help, 19 inches at the shoulder and 52 pounds, she looked like an army duffle bag with legs and a tail (she was sable with a few white markings). After three months, with the encouragement of the local Columbian Ground Squirrel population (waddle, waddle, walk, trot, run, gallop) she lost 17 pounds and outran a 15 year old on in line skates gliding down our 7% hill.

After we had had her for about a week, a neighbour had a school emergency with her son, and dropped off her 6 month old daughter in a panic. We introduced Lady to Cheara, who promptly began pulling ears, grabbing tongue, and other such 6 month old exercises. Being the nervous sort, I watched carefully for the reactions from Lady. When Cheara got bored and stopped, Lady put out her left leg and tapped Cheara, asking for more.

No problem, thought I. I went upstairs to heat up a cuppa and make room for it. When I came back down it was awful quiet. As our own children were both older than Cheara's mother, we were out of practice with babies, and I had not closed the door to the wooden stairs going down to the basement. When I saw them, Lady gave me a frown. She was lying across the doorway, preventing Cheara from going to the stairs, and the baby was sound asleep on her tummy.

A few months later, the mine where I was employed went bankrupt. In my office my feet became her resting place as I surfed the net looking for work.

MushPuppy extraordinaire!
What a lovely story, Albert. Our furry friends give us much joy and fond memories.