Pentaxian

Takumar 105mm f/2.8, wide open I think, on the Lumix S5

Green
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

05-10-2022, 07:05 AM   #18317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Franta Quote
I even do not think whether it is appropriate to post here because I am still in the process of learning the basics how to use a DSLR, but I am surprised with the rendering of Takumars to such an extent that I want to share the fact that even a newby can enjoy shooting with Takumars (the quality of the work on the side of the person is another story). I bought a used K-50 less than a year ago when my point-and-shoot camera broke down. I was curious whether K-50 will produce better images than the old point-and-shoot camera . Later, I bought a bundle of six Takumars around one month ago because I read that they are good for learning the basics of photography (I belong to the generation which grew up in the time when point-and-shoot digital cameras were widespread so I have never learnt how to use a SLR). I expected that only focusing the image will be a lot of pain. Surprisingly, the Takumars turned out to be really a joy to use even for a newby. The feeling from their mechanics is fantastic, and I am fascinated by the quality of the image they produce. I show below three pictures which I took during the weekend. The first two were shot by the Super-Takumar 28mm F3.5 (at F3.5 and F8), the third one was shot by Tele-Takumar F300mm F6.3 at around F10. All figures are JPGs directly from the camera, the only postprocessing was to crop the first two images.

I admit that I still produce too many blurred images because of problems with focusing. This is particular the case with the 200mm and 300mm lenses. I read this forum, where many great pieces of information can be found.

This is my first post where I show my pictures, and as I wrote I am a newby who strives to learn more. If you see some common mistakes which i do on the photos, please give me a link where to learn more.
Welcome to the Takumar club and feel free to share more of your nice work! Catch in focus can help with focussing an MF lens on a digital camera (unless you want to change the focussing screen in the camera)
05-10-2022, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #18318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Paul, Tim and Hans for your warm welcome!

I found many beautiful photos in this thread, which are at very different level than mine. That's why I hesitated to post here my photos.

This is a great thread. Apart from photos, I am very glad that there is plenty of pieces of practical advice and knowledge sharing.
05-10-2022, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #18319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I even do not think whether it is appropriate to post here because I am still in the process of learning the basics how to use a DSLR, but I am surprised with the rendering of Takumars to such an extent that I want to share the fact that even a newby can enjoy shooting with Takumars (the quality of the work on the side of the person is another story). I bought a used K-50 less than a year ago when my point-and-shoot camera broke down. I was curious whether K-50 will produce better images than the old point-and-shoot camera . Later, I bought a bundle of six Takumars around one month ago because I read that they are good for learning the basics of photography (I belong to the generation which grew up in the time when point-and-shoot digital cameras were widespread so I have never learnt how to use a SLR). I expected that only focusing the image will be a lot of pain. Surprisingly, the Takumars turned out to be really a joy to use even for a newby. The feeling from their mechanics is fantastic, and I am fascinated by the quality of the image they produce. I show below three pictures which I took during the weekend. The first two were shot by the Super-Takumar 28mm F3.5 (at F3.5 and F8), the third one was shot by Tele-Takumar F300mm F6.3 at around F10. All figures are JPGs directly from the camera, the only postprocessing was to crop the first two images.

I admit that I still produce too many blurred images because of problems with focusing. This is particular the case with the 200mm and 300mm lenses. I read this forum, where many great pieces of information can be found.

This is my first post where I show my pictures, and as I wrote I am a newby who strives to learn more. If you see some common mistakes which i do on the photos, please give me a link where to learn more.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find folks to be helpful and not harshly critical. We are all still learning!

05-11-2022, 01:24 AM - 10 Likes   #18320
Pentaxian

Takumar 1000/8 + x2 TC

05-11-2022, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #18321
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4

05-11-2022, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #18322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Macro-Takumar 50mm f4

Nice catch. I guess someone really wanted those eggs to stop cooking fast!
Eric

05-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #18323
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Nice catch. I guess someone really wanted those eggs to stop cooking fast!
Eric
thank you...

it's the best way to peel hard-boiled eggs:. pressure-cooked in the Instant Pot, then immediately into an ice bath....

then they peel so easily....
05-11-2022, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #18324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you...

it's the best way to peel hard-boiled eggs:. pressure-cooked in the Instant Pot, then immediately into an ice bath....

then they peel so easily....
Oh! Cool! Another use for our Ninja Foodi, LOL!

Actually, at the moment, we use a Dash (you use a tool to poke a tiny hole in the top of the eggs, then put them standing up in the Dash steamer, and when it senses the water is gone, it stops and the alarm goes off and they are done . Peel super clean and fast this way also)

Still a fun pic, heh.
Eric
05-12-2022, 02:17 AM - 5 Likes   #18325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
Takumar 1000/8 + x2 TC
Nice. That sounds like an unwieldy combo.

Takumar 105mm f/2.8

Flowers
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
05-12-2022, 07:17 AM - 3 Likes   #18326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Tim60 said, shooting 200 and 300mm lenses can produce soft or blurred images because of even slight lens movement. The lenses not only magnify the subject but lens movement as well. And many lenses of those focal lengths, like the Takumars, tend to be somewhat unwieldy and heavy. Until you build up your upper body strength, use shutter speeds that are the reciprocal of the lens or faster, i.e. 1/200 sec for the 200mm or faster. You'll have to consider your aperture size and ISO as well to get pleasing photos. And, of course, focus very carefully. Use focus assist if you have it. And antishake in the camera perhaps, if the camera has it. I haven't used Pentax cameras since the film days, so I don't know what features your camera has. Use a tripod if you can and trigger the shutter with the self-timer function. Strong wind or ground vibration may affect your setup so be aware of the conditions.
Welcome to the group, and enjoy the lenses. As a class I believe they're the best of their time, equaled perhaps in some cases but not bettered, just amazing technology and workmanship. And as I think we'll all agree, they haven't lost anything with age.
05-12-2022, 07:19 AM - 5 Likes   #18327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f 2.5

Not all Takumars are M42 mount; to my surprise I found this Takumar in K mount.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-13-2022, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #18328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Not all Takumars are M42 mount; to my surprise I found this Takumar in K mount.
The Takumar bayonet lenses were released as a cheap alternative to compete with third parties on price. They lack SMC and most don't regard them as real Takumars due to their lower quality. Other than your 135mm there's a 28/2.8 and an F-Takumar 35-70mm. I'm not sure if there are any others.
05-13-2022, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #18329
Forum Member

I have a K-mount Takumar-F 70-210mm zoom. I've posted some pix in this forum taken with it on my K-S2.

Some very positive reviews, reflecting my experience with it, here: Takumar-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Interestingly, though, the EXIF data identifies it with the Pentax name, though it is clearly a Takumar.

Mike
05-13-2022, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #18330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also a Takumar F28-80 and I believe an F70-200, and a few A-series manual-focus zooms with the "Takumar" moniker. Some of these are quite decent lenses, although I don't consider them true Takumars.

Another poinsettia shot from early January. S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5 on K10D

Last edited by paulh; 05-13-2022 at 12:09 PM.
« 135mm lens club | - »