Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three with 645Z and Pentax 67 120mm f 3.5 SF

If you want soft focus with Pentax medium format, there are not many choices, but the Pentax 67 120mm f 3.5 SF is a good choice. There is the medium format Mamiya C 145mm, and it can be used on Pentax fullframe or APS-C, but does not work with Pentax medium format because of incompatible registry distances. Is anyone aware of other SF lenses that can be adapted to the 645Z?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
07-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Is anyone aware of other SF lenses that can be adapted to the 645Z?
You might be able to adapt a large-format soft focus (eg Fuji 250mm f5.6) via a bellows, but you better be sure it can be done before investing in the lens, and be sure you want of lens that will probably have a long FL). Some old large-format lenses have soft-focus characteristics so valued in early portraiture, but again, do you have a bellows & adapters that will work (Bronica had a bellows specifically designed to take large format lenses. The front standard was a removable blank metal sheet intended for drilling to mount large format lenses with a jam nut/ring)

CORRECTION: The bellows I'm thinking of, designed for the Bronica S2 I owned for a while, had Bronica bayonet lens mounts at each end, but they offered a blank metal plate with male lens mount, basically a body cap, that could be drilled for a large format lens of modest diameter.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-17-2019 at 06:54 AM.
07-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You might be able to adapt a large-format soft focus (eg Fuji 250mm f5.6) via a bellows, but you better be sure it can be done before investing in the lens, and be sure you want of lens that will probably have a long FL). Some old large-format lenses have soft-focus characteristics so valued in early portraiture, but again, do you have a bellows & adapters that will work (Bronica had a bellows specifically designed to take large format lenses. The front standard was a removable blank metal sheet intended for drilling to mount large format lenses with a jam nut/ring)

CORRECTION: The bellows I'm thinking of, designed for the Bronica S2 I owned for a while, had Bronica bayonet lens mounts at each end, but they offered a blank metal plate with male lens mount, basically a body cap, that could be drilled for a large format lens of modest diameter.
Thanks for that information. Actually, I was thinking more in terms of other medium format lenses that could be fitted onto the 645 series of cameras using standard adapters. I do not know of anything in the Carl Zeiss Jena lineup, and I am not very familiar with the Hasselblad lenses.
07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thanks for that information. Actually, I was thinking more in terms of other medium format lenses that could be fitted onto the 645 series of cameras using standard adapters. I do not know of anything in the Carl Zeiss Jena lineup, and I am not very familiar with the Hasselblad lenses.
At least for a while Zeiss made a "Softar" filter that was supposed to give the same effect as a soft focus lens. Not to be confused with some of the filters from, for example, Cokin, the Zeiss had many tiny lens-like bumps on the surface of the glass. It was catch-your-breath expensive for a filter. Also, while looking into soft-focus lenses I came across a Canon soft-effect filter (52mm thread). Have you ever tried such a filter just to see how the effect compares with a real soft-focus lens? A Cokin resin filter would probably be the least expensive new for experimenting, or go to adapterrings.com and you can probably find some for under $20

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.
07-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
At least for a while Zeiss made a "Softar" filter that was supposed to give the same effect as a soft focus lens. Not to be confused with some of the filters from, for example, Cokin, the Zeiss had many tiny lens-like bumps on the surface of the glass. It was catch-your-breath expensive for a filter. Also, while looking into soft-focus lenses I came across a Canon soft-effect filter (52mm thread). Ever you ever tried such a filter just to see how the effect compares with a real soft-focus lens? A Cokin resin filter would probably be the least expensive new for experimenting, or go to adapterrings.com and you can probably find some for under $20
Now that you mention filters, I will have to try that. Will start with eBay!
07-17-2019, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

Pentax F 85mm f2.8 Soft, with extension tube:

07-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about the Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64/2.9?
I also have a 70mm cinema projector lens adapted to 645 mount. It produces wonderfully dreamy soft images.

If neither qualify for this thread I'll get my F85/2.8 Soft out of mothballs and get to it....
07-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What about the Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64/2.9?
I also have a 70mm cinema projector lens adapted to 645 mount. It produces wonderfully dreamy soft images.

If neither qualify for this thread I'll get my F85/2.8 Soft out of mothballs and get to it....
They definitely qualify, and I would love to see some of your work with these specialty lenses.

07-17-2019, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #144
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right then

I haven't used the Daguerreotype for a while, but here's one from my "Single In" challenge from January 2018

Monet's roses
07-17-2019, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #145
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And another: soft focus and full-on Helios swirl

Swirly farewell
07-19-2019, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #146
Pentaxian

Again with the F 85mm Soft:

07-20-2019, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #147
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My debut with the SMC Pentax-F 85/2.8 Soft

Soft Sammy 2
07-29-2019, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #148
Pentaxian

F 85mm f2.8 Soft:

08-18-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

F 85 f2.8 Soft:

09-26-2019, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Soft focus flowers

I have been checking out the Mamiya 645 C 145mm f 4.0 SF today, and becoming more and more fond of this great lens. It has one very nice feature for focussing, a clutch similar to the Pentax 645 push-pull clutches which move the lens from manual focus to auto focus and back of course, except this clutch moves the lens back and forth from soft focus to standard focus. This allows the user to select standard for focussing in on a scene, then with a push of the clutch switch to soft focus and take the shot. One other feature is that while the user select the degree of soft focus by selecting the aperture, this lens has five gradations of soft focus with each aperture setting thus permitting a higher degree of control of the soft focus setting than for any other SF lens I have seen or used. The clutch to move the lens from SF to standard focus has another great advantage in that you can use this lens at any available aperture to take standard photos, and you can even take a SF photo and then just with a push of the clutch, take the same subject/scene as a standard photo. I have not used the feature enough to evaluate the lens as a standard lens, but from the limited extent of my use it appears to be quite a credible 145mm standard lens. I plan to check further on this aspect of the lens' performance.

The lens appears to be a good value at current on-line prices, and I highly recommend it. It should be noted that it is a 645 format lens but cannot be adapted to the Pentax 645 or 67 series cameras because of incompatible registry distance. However, an inexpensive adapter is available to permit using it on the K-1 or any of the Pentax APS-C cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo