Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "lonely lenses" club :O

OK, we've got the "M" club, the "K" club etc etc. I thought I'd do something a bit different. I want you to reach into the bottom of your bag, or rummage on that top inaccessable shelf of your closet and get out some of the better lenses you have but don't use as much as you should. Yeah, I know that the new super zoom is nice and sexy, and your favorite macro never fails you, but what about some of the others? You know, the ones you really liked but haven't taken out lately? Let's see some shots from your "lonely lenses". Who knows, maybe you will fall in love all over again. I'll start it off with two of mine that haven't seen enough work lately. All shots with the K10D

First of all the Pentax A 35-105 F3.5. Nice lens, a teensy bit soft at f3.5 but still useable, and one of the best as far as color rendition is concerned.
Henry Moore sculpture with water spinkler in the backgound.

Daylily, just check out how well the color is rendered. BTW the lens has a decent "macro" (read close up) function that works along the full range of the lens.

My next "lonely lens" is the Pentax FA 20-35 F4.0. Don't know why I don't use this lens more often, it's almost a perfect garden lens. The wide end is certainly handy, and it can get pretty close as you will see. And is it sharp? Sharp enought to cut!
This shot will make you blink for sure!

And here is a "landscape" type shot

So go grab one [or more] of your unused lenses and get shooting! Let's make those lonely lenses feel wanted! And post them here.

NaCl(think of it as your "social obligation" for the week)H2O

07-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good idea

I like the first photo. It has some great angles and lines that add to the effect and the water jet in the background fits into these lines as well

Great photos
07-09-2008, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Vivitar 400 MM F 5.6. I bought this lens last summer on the marketplace here, but have really only used it once, haha. But, i think it is a decent lens, I keep saying I am going to try some moon shots with it, but never get the gumption up to take it out !! it has an adaptable mount kind of like the Tamron adaptalls.

Here is a sample from my lone trip out with it.

07-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for me it was the sigma 24mm/2.8 superwide II (MF). I didn't use it much at all, so I decided to sell it. Turned out that it had minor construction problems, such as a stiff k-mount, and the lens will stop down to f4 (instead of remaining wide open) when controlling the aperture size via the aperture ring. Nonetheless, the IQ of the lens was excellent. Since I failed to sell it, I started using it with a vegeance - here are some recent shots with it:

07-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It really did
07-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually my Tamron 90mm Macro has been my most unused ... I guess since getting my Taks ... all my AF lenses have really been unused.

Although I will now have separate kits for separate shooting (now that I have the 2nd K10D body now).
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Actually my Tamron 90mm Macro has been my most unused ... I guess since getting my Taks ... all my AF lenses have really been unused.

Although I will now have separate kits for separate shooting (now that I have the 2nd K10D body now).

I'm kinda in the same boat, Simon. I have to make a point to put my AF lenses
on my camera these days, it seems. I still depend on them for most 'event'
and travel stuff, but I just like using my MF lenses more. Super Taks, M's, and
now my two K's... as I get better at nailing focus, I feel like I just 'trust' the MF
lenses more.

For AF, I probably use my DA 35ltd macro, 50-135 & 16-50 the most.

As far as this thread goes, my loneliest lens is probably my Vivitar 28mm Close
Focus right now. I'll get right on that.

07-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

NaCi, the blink shot is really cool, little scrolling up and down and the stings start to move, spooky!

I feel guilty, having too many lenses being pushed back in the cabinet. Here's one of them, a no-frills plane-jane classic normal lens, CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 on K100D.

Won't tell you how many of these I got, shame shame shame. I'm a real freak for manual 50s, no hope for the Tessar, but maybe ONE day...

Have fun with whatever you grab,
Georg (the other)
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

What an incredibly talented group of photographers we have here at Pentax Forums. Great work ADAM in making this forum one of the best on the internet.

Ben
07-10-2008, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Got my "gumption" up !! Took the Vivitar 400 MM and attached a CPC 2 X T C and decided to try a few moon shots. Used my K110D, shot in raw, and adjusted in Raw Therapee, and PSE 3. Considering the cheapo T C, I think it came out pretty good. let me know what you all think. Now, my next purchase is going to be a better ball head for my tripod, I was battling the piece of junk I have on there now, lol.

Last edited by Stratman; 07-10-2008 at 08:44 PM.
07-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Rescued from the closet for a few hours in the day's late sun

When I first saw this thread my thoughts went to my Tamron Adaptall-2 02B 28/2.5 It has been sitting on a shelf in the closet for about a year. What a sad story!

This was once my favorite lens and almost never left my camera. It was purchased new in 1982 for landscape photography on 35mm film and was used for hundreds, if not thousands of shots of mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans, valleys, and so on. What a great landscape performer...fast aperture, rectilinear, great resolution and contrast, and resistant to flare. In addition it is compact for a 28mm and relatively light considering its mostly metal construction (rubberized focus ring).

So, you might ask, what happened to sour such a great relationship? The separation began with the switch to digital and the K10D's APS-C sensor. I had high anticipation when I first mounted the Tammy 28, but it did not take long to realize that my once prized landscape lens was now the equivalent of a shortish normal lens. In addition, the PK/A adaptall-2 mount was a pain in the rear to use due to poor registration with the camera's electrical contacts.

Previously unnoticed flaws also surfaced. When used in its new role as a short normal, the lens exhibited a disturbing tendency to blowout bright colors of close subjects. Its previously adequate 5-blade iris also proved to generate some very disturbing bokeh when the depth of field was limited and the background was busy. Clearly this champion of the great outdoors was not adjusting well to its new role!

Enter a newly acquired Pentax-FA 35/2 and its doom was sealed. That is until I spotted this new thread. Ahhhh...here is my chance to take an old friend out for a little fresh air and sunlight. Well, here are the results...all selected to minimize the fault of my old friend.

Crocosmia at f/4

Pond plants at f/5.6

Rusty metal at f/8

Flowering tree at f/8
(notice reduced leading DOF on the right-most flower...yes, even with a wide-angle...working distance was only about 10 inches.)

Thanks for giving me a chance to laud the good work of an old friend.

Steve

P.S. I have got to STOP photographing flowers! Surely, there must be something else in the world that I can work with?
07-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I'm kinda in the same boat, Simon. I have to make a point to put my AF lenses
on my camera these days, it seems. I still depend on them for most 'event'
and travel stuff, but I just like using my MF lenses more. Super Taks, M's, and
now my two K's... as I get better at nailing focus, I feel like I just 'trust' the MF
lenses more.

For AF, I probably use my DA 35ltd macro, 50-135 & 16-50 the most.

As far as this thread goes, my loneliest lens is probably my Vivitar 28mm Close
Focus right now. I'll get right on that.

I am with you on the MF vs. AF lenses. I like my AF stuff for doing the tourist, family and sports things and occasionally will borrow my daughter's 28-200 AF Tamron for a walkaround. But for fine work, off goes the AF switch and on goes the older manual focus glass. I even prefer manual focus on my Pentax-FA 35/2!

Steve
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
Igilligan

S-M-C Tak 50 1.4 + raynox 250

Seeing this thread, I pulled out my S-M-C tak 50-1.4 and stuck my old raynox 250 on it....

Attachment 15248

A little darkness, a little wind

I know they are a tad on the 'over the top' side but.... it was fun pulling out the old lens. Thanks for the inspiration.
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Or give you a seizure. Either way, it doesn't leave you indifferent, or straight-eyed.

Great thread, Salty. Unfortunately, I use ALL my lenses ALL THE TIME, so I can't join the club.

Did anyone believe me...?
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Seeing this thread, I pulled out my S-M-C tak 50-1.4 and stuck my old raynox 250 on it....

I know they are a tad on the 'over the top' side but.... it was fun pulling out the old lens. Thanks for the inspiration.
If your S-M-C Super Takumar 50/1.4 is lonely, I would be pleased to introduce it to a few new friends!