Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #1636
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Thanks JT, the lens is the F4 version, it's one of my sharpest, almost too sharp a lens...
I can't find an f4 version--do you mean the f/4-5.6?

JT

11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #1637
Veteran Member

K10D, 17-50/2.8, 45mm, 1/90th wide open
11-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1638
Veteran Member

Added a reprocessed pic in post number 1607.
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #1639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Evening light through the leaves. Shot this evening before sunset. I thought the light hitting the leaves looked pretty good.

Tammy 18-250 again.

And a crop of another shot of the same tree.

I've been loooking at the second pic since I posted it. It accurately reflects the scene as it existed when I shot it. But… it's kinda flat. Lacks pop. So I reprocessed it. Granted, I'm a Velvia kinda guy, but I like this one better.
Bimjo, I find the 3rd one very nice--it is so appealing when light is subdued to the point that it is just a glow, like in the leaves here. Nice work.

JT

11-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #1640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
HiHi!

Just recieved my Tammy 90mm macro 52b yesterday.

Have been going to town on it. Must say I've been super impressed. Took some shots this evening and while some of the flowers looked a bit meh in the viewfinder, when I came home to check them out on Photoshop I was totally surprised!

Here is one that has been cropped:

The focus is slightly off, but it just means I'm noticing how much detail is on that leaf!! Amazing!

Here's another. I didn't really expect for the inner bits to show up at all. Obvs my technique needs a bit of work, but these pictures are showing me distinctly that it's better than me! And I'm ok with that...

I'm also loving that creamy bokeh!
Really nice Wolfie Girl--hope we get to see more from you with this classic, soon.

JT
11-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #1641
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey JT, Thanks for the nice comments Yes, need to get back to the Tammy. Have been exploring all my other lenses atm..
11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Bimjo, I find the 3rd one very nice--it is so appealing when light is subdued to the point that it is just a glow, like in the leaves here. Nice work.

JT
Thank you sir, it's an improvement I think. I'd probably print that one.

11-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #1643
Veteran Member

Still learning the ins and outs of the 90mm macro

Not sure I'm getting the shots I want out of this lens yet. Based on what I've seen on here, it's obviously user error.

11-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #1644
Veteran Member

Not sure I'm getting the shots I want out of this lens yet. Based on what I've seen on here, it's obviously user error.
Are you using a tripod?
11-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #1645
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"standards"

Not sure I'm getting the shots . . .
If not sure, may I suggest you give yourself some "laboratory standard" shots for comparison?

Set up any colorful, detailed subject at about a meter distant in good light and use a dead-steady, vibration absorbing rest for the camera and explore focus, ISO and aperture variables. You might also include the exposure options (like WB) under the Function button. Set the menu variables to nominal default setting and record all parameters.

Don't try to accomplish everything in one session. You'll learn a lot this way and undoubtedly want to do it again after considering the "lessons learned" so be patient, very systematic and organized.

You'll then have a set of repeatable standards to compare other images to.

H2
11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #1646
Pentaxian

i have been using my Tamron 70-200 for landscapes lately, mostly at the long end:

11-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1647
Veteran Member

ooOOOo.. lovely shots Mike!!!

To answer the other qs, no, no tripod. Still in the market for something in my cheapy price range

Will have to make some time for your 'standards' test pacerr. Atm I'm just going out and shooting. I love the portrait use of this lens, it's the macro side I'm struggling with
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #1648
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I can't find an f4 version--do you mean the f/4-5.6?

JT
Yes... I acquired a very very nice copy complete with OEM hood...
11-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #1649
Inactive Account

Your 1st shot looks good... your macro shot, on my screen, shows some noise (i.e. you used a high ISO) in this image. It will really be hard to take a great macro shot, hand holding AND using high ISO's. Even on a tripod, getting the focus just right is still a challenge outdoors with wind etc... I've got a 135mm macro, it's the only lens I cannot hand hold while trying to take a 1:2 shot, braced or not.

Practice makes perfect
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #1650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Practice makes perfect
Ain't that the truth?

Still on the lookout for a cheapskate tripod. Pretty funny on our walk last night with the pups. I had both the kx with the tammy and the k100d with the tak. Felt like a real pro trudging through the bush ... but boy did my neck hurt afterwards......

Yup, just checked and you're right. The second shot was done on ISO 800. Don't know why it was on that high. Must've forgotten to adjust after some other shots the night before.

Will keep battling through until I get some results I like. Least I'm getting tack sharp portrait pics of the pups. So all's not lost and it does prove that it's user error.