Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 745 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jgredline: Hey welcome to PF.
Jclay, please accept my welome as well. There goes jgredline, aka, Jarvier showing me up again.

I need to say a little more, as if I haven't already said enough. That lens you bought for $30 on Ebay went for over a thousand when new. It takes great shots, has the nickname "the zoom that doesn't know it's a zoom," and is very nice thoughout the focal range.

If you can take a focused shot with that lens, in Macro mode, you can shoot any lens ever made. Looking forward to more of your posts. Best!

Finally, jgredline is right--don't feed the wolves.

02-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #527

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Criticize--are you kidding???! I am yet to get a macro shot with that 23a Adaptall 2 lens. In fact, it took all of Manual Focus forums to help get the lens into Macro mode for me. I learned this is not uncommon. The lens has a very peculiar procedure for securing Macro mode which, btw, only works @ 60mm. However, macros are very sharp in the center, if only you can get the Zen art down of pushing and pulling for manual focus. I gave up one day, and mount my Tammy 90mm lens for macro work.
First off, thanks for your reply.

And yep, the macro mode sure is finicky to work with, but mine engages pretty smoothly. The only issues with macro mode is that it has trouble sliding up and down from 1:2something forward. I made sure to read my Tamron manual first to make sure I didn't break something, and discovered that the macro is only at 60 mm as well, which is actually quite sufficient for my needs.

QuoteQuote:
Also, are you sure you have focus issues with the lens @ 100-200mm? Is it possible you just have not returned the lens back to regular mode? It takes some serious dexterity to get the lens in and out of macro, especially if it has not been used in some time. You may be stuck in macro, and are only seeing the other focal lengths because, in 60mm macro, the lens pushes and pulls to achieve focus, thereby moving the lens past the various focal length markers, without ever leaving 60mm. When I got my lens, it had the opposite problem--stuck in regular mode--would not get Macro. I almost ripped the K-mount out of my K20d, trying to get into Macro. I have met several people who have had this same problem with this lens. Does any of this make any sense?

Click on this link and read, when you get a chance: Manual Focus Forum / Tamron SP 60-300mm
When I purchased it on ebay, the seller made sure to write that there were issues (I believe his exact quote was "There are issues focusing at infinity at the 100-200mm range), although when asked, his testing methods didn't seem accurate but I'll try to diagnose it for myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hey welcome to PF. A word of advice and caution. Believe me, there are plenty of people who love to criticize, so my advice is to ask for Constructive criticism ... I know it is a small little thing but there are plenty of wolves here who would not think twice about biting u .
Thanks, I should be sure to remember that!

Jclay, please accept my welome as well. There goes jgredline, aka, Jarvier showing me up again.

I need to say a little more, as if I haven't already said enough. That lens you bought for $30 on Ebay went for over a thousand when new. It takes great shots, has the nickname "the zoom that doesn't know it's a zoom," and is very nice thoughout the focal range.

If you can take a focused shot with that lens, in Macro mode, you can shoot any lens ever made. Looking forward to more of your posts. Best!

Finally, jgredline is right--don't feed the wolves.
Thank you again, I'm sure with more practice I can take some great shots with this thing, but its gonna take a lot! (That focus sure is hard to trigger on the camera, for sure!)

Edit: Here's a new macro taken just a few minutes ago. I'm more impressed at this lens's macro abilities than anything! But boy is it a pain in the butt to hold--my trigger hand gets sore in seconds of stabilization.

Last edited by JClay; 02-17-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Addition of a new macro.
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #528
Veteran Member

Jclay: Thanks so much for taking time to post these shots. To be honest, before I saw them, I would not have believed one could focus a shot with that lens in macro mode. It is, for me, the most clumsy macro setup I have ever seen. But, perhaps I am spoiled by the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Di.

Anyway, I can not provide any help to you for that lens, in macro mode--your knowledge exceeds mine. I am in love with that lens, can't believe the images it produces, but do not ever see myself shooting macro with it. This is especially true since I chase moving bugs around for my macros. Can you imagine getting a butterlfy in focus with that macro setup? LOL. Best!
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #529

Is that a dare? I'll give it my best shot this spring, as we have lots of hydrangeas that attract loads of gorgeous butterflies. Thanks again for the kind commentary.

02-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #530
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-300 super zoom

02-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #531
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suppose I should post some pics from the Tammy 90 f2.5 I bought from RawHead recently.
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/qvmarket3/slides/PICT8053.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/qvmarket3/slides/PICT8120.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/february2010/slides/PICT8041.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/february2010/slides/PICT8164.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
02-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #532
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
jgredline:jgredline Tamron 28-300 super zoom
Jarvier, that big bird be a big showoff-- nice capture. The ferris wheel colors are a treat, but I like the walk most, which the three of them are enjoying, with the dog, appearing at least, to pick up the pace--poignant.

QuoteQuote:
xjjohnno Suppose I should post some pics from the Tammy 90 f2.5 I bought from RawHead recently.
Yes, you should and more often I hope too. All nice shots, but my love for blue-shell crabs draws my eyes to the first one, with the rose very well rendered in your last one. Thanks.

02-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #533
Site Supporter

The little guy

One from my trusted 28-75. I don't think he likes pears.

02-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #534
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jewelltrail, time and an ever growing lens collection might limit the amount of use the Tammie 90 is going to get. I can't have my other lenses getting jealous due to being ignored.
02-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #535
Veteran Member

Jarvier, that big bird be a big showoff-- nice capture. The ferris wheel colors are a treat, but I like the walk most, which the three of them are enjoying, with the dog, appearing at least, to pick up the pace--poignant.

Thank you for the kind words. Coming from you they mean a ton!
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #536

New Macro... love this sucker!

Full size: 60mm Macro, ISO 200, 1/80s, F/8

100% Crop

Darn it, I love this lens!
02-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #537
Veteran Member

tamron 70-300 mm Di LD Macro 1:2 bird shots

tammy bird shots

a little PF on that head feather, or whatever its called

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-23-2010 at 04:06 PM.
02-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #538
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
xjjohnno: Jewelltrail, time and an ever growing lens collection might limit the amount of use the Tammie 90 is going to get. I can't have my other lenses getting jealous due to being ignored.
Uh oh...........................careful now, you are starting to sound like a once-famous (perhaps better now-labeled infamous) golfer and his testimony. One wrong step and it's rehab--I hear they take all your toys away from you there.
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #539
Veteran Member

Tamron 70-300 LD Di Macro 1:2

tammy cat shot. @200mm
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #540
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-75F/2.8