Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 745 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #661
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Screwmount M42 Tamron

I was perusing Ebay after reading the Tammy Club and saw this lens. I was afraid it would be a T mount from what I've read, but it is a M 42, with the manual/auto switch.

I took a chance, could find very little about it, but liked that it was 200mm f3.5 instead of the SMC Tak 200 f4. It looked pristine and it is, has both caps and a slide out hood, and the price was decent I think, $43 plus shipping.

I am very happy with it. I got the picture of the dog while sitting in a lawn chair sideways, hand held, didn't think I would get anything. The EXIF is wrong, I thought I had a 2x TC on but it was the Kenko 1.5 TC. Still, I am happy to even get any decent focus while the "puppy" was digging in the water for his ball.

These are straight JPEGs from raw, no PP, I really like how true the color is.

Are these lenses pretty rare?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #662
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Penmacal: Screwmount M42 Tamron
I do not know anything about that lens, but it looks to me like you scored a winner. Please, post some more when you can--thanks.
04-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #663
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
IvorK Ecks: K-x and Tamron SP AF70-200 f2.8 Di LD
It is nice to have someone posting with this lens--thanks. It sure is one of those lenses I would love to work with. At least I have your shots to enjoy though.
04-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #664
Forum Member

Jewelltrail,

Wow, happy to read you think it might be a winner, though still a little mysterious.

It's a true M42 mount and lots of plastic, and the font for "Tamron" looks different, too. I would think it is later than earlier, but don't know, even after looking on the site that documents Tamron lenses. It's takes a 62 mm filter, so the slide up hood is a plus, don't have any filters that big yet.

What I really like is how true it renders colors, the dog and pool colors are spot on. Here's a mundane shot of the lawnmower, first one I tried with this lens.

But I'm posting it because the red is so true, and again, hand-held in awkward lawn chair with Kenko 1.5 TC, don't remember the aperture. This one is sharper, can see even specks of dirt when I cropped it in Aperture, so I am happy with this lens. Sorry about the quality, still figuring out how to upload larger files.

Thanks for your comments, and thank you, too, for your fine photos of New England, especially with the 17-50, they are spectacular. Makes the lens hard to resist, but in reality, the budget makes it very easy to resist! And the fact that I'm a real novice and need to practice, practice, practice with the fine lenses I have first, before another indulgence.

Sharon

Attached Images

04-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #665
Veteran Member

Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro 1:2

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
It is nice to have someone posting with this lens--thanks. It sure is one of those lenses I would love to work with. At least I have your shots to enjoy though.
Yeah, I'd like to get that tamron 70-200 2.8 lens in the future, as well. I like that 70-200mm range very much.

couple bird shots from my tamron 70-300 Di LD macro, given the reflections and white feather, I think it did quite alright vs purple fringing..

250mm

200mm

what's preventing tamron from releasing that 60mm lens for Pentax ???
04-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #666
Veteran Member

Pentax K20D
Tamron 17-50/2.8

04-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Tokyoso: couple bird shots from my tamron 70-300 Di LD macro, given the reflections and white feather, I think it did quite alright vs purple fringing
Wow, you deserve a medal of honor for courage for taking on that very high contrast scene with the "Purple Fringe Monster." Nice work and the AF responded nicely too. When I owned that lens, I would not even have attempted those shots, especially the 2nd one. How does the PF look in Full resolution?
QuoteQuote:
Tokyoso:what's preventing tamron from releasing that 60mm lens for Pentax ???
Saturation issues!!! Market saturation. LOL I do not know, but really could not care much less. How many more fantastic choices do we need for Macro in Pentax mount from 50 to 105mm? What we really need are some options between 150 to 200mm for Pentax Macro. IMO.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 04-10-2010 at 08:24 PM.
04-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #668
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Penmacgal: Jewelltrail,

Wow, happy to read you think it might be a winner, though still a little mysterious.

It's a true M42 mount and lots of plastic, and the font for "Tamron" looks different, too. I would think it is later than earlier, but don't know, even after looking on the site that documents Tamron lenses. It's takes a 62 mm filter, so the slide up hood is a plus, don't have any filters that big yet.

So glad you be happy, happiness is a great thing. Surprised to hear about the plastic, at least from that era. Have you been to this site here:

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200mm F/3.5 Lens

Ernest

If this is your lens, it appears so, then some of the mystery should unveil here. If it is your lens, I was correct--you scored a real winner, at an excellent price too.

Some good stuff here too: Manual Focus Forum / Testing the Tamron 200mm f/3.5 (04B) lens on a Canon 50D
04-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #669
Veteran Member

Wow, you deserve a medal of honor for courage for taking on that very high contrast scene with the "Purple Fringe Monster." Nice work and the AF responded nicely too. When I owned that lens, I would not even have attempted those shots, especially the 2nd one. How does the PF look in Full resolution?
When I first got the lens and read the posts about it on the forums, I automatically assumed I have a purple fringing problem with it, but the more I shoot with it the less I find it to be an issue.

Some other K-x users on flickr seem to have a similar experience and speculate that the K-x handled this better than their K10D with the same tamron lens - not sure if that's true or not, as I don't have another pentax DSLR to verify this.

Those images are actually heavily cropped, not much pp besides cropping, no sharpening nor remove pf. i'll see if i can post a 100% crop later... there really isn't much if any PF.

QuoteQuote:
Saturation issues!!! Market saturation. LOL I do not know, but really could not care much less. How many more fantastic choices do we need for Macro in Pentax mount from 50 to 105mm? What we really need are some options between 150 to 200mm for Pentax Macro. IMO.
I'm not really into macro (though seems interestingly difficult), but I think i'll go for a 70-200/2.8 lens. I'll probably end up taking pictures of people at the beach with it anyways.

Last edited by tokyoso; 04-11-2010 at 06:58 AM.
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #670
Veteran Member

K20D with the Tamron 28-300 SZ

My boy
04-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #671
Veteran Member

How I KNOW, Jarvier loves his boy. :)

Okay, so Jarvier posts shots of his son here now and then, but is that reflective of love, or possibly just an attempt to justify his LBA/CBA? Well, it has only recently become obvious to me that Jarvier, in fact, loves his son. How do I know? Well, case in point is this 1st shot where his son is obliviously sticking the lens of a DSLR into the ground, and Jarvier is not only watching, but photographing the painful scene for posterity. OOOOOOUUUUUUUUCH! Just look closely at this:

But, if that isn't enough proof, then this next shot surely is. After all, Jarvier could easily have rigged this 1st shot, when in fact the lens has its cover on it all along. But, look at this one--his son Daniel, with DSLR & lens strung casually around his shoulder (NOT around his neck--safely) has a course plotted for the sea. I am convinced, Jarvier truly loves his son!!! Just think how easily that strap could slide right down Daniel's shoulder, and into the sea. GOOD GOD!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #672
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
jewelltrail: If this is your lens, it appears so, then some of the mystery should unveil here. If it is your lens, I was correct--you scored a real winner, at an excellent price too.
Sharon, for some strange reason. the shot you posted of the Tamron 200mm 3.5 lens only just came through for me--amazing. Anyway, looking at your shot, it is clear to me that the lens I posted a pic of in my 1st thread is not the same Tamron 200mm 3.5. Sorry, my bad.

Good luck finding more information on the mystery lens. Is there anything in the 2nd thread I posted which helps?

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 04-12-2010 at 08:57 PM.
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #673
Veteran Member

Okay, so Jarvier posts shots of his son here now and then, but is that reflective of love, or possibly just an attempt to justify his LBA/CBA? Well, it has only recently become obvious to me that Jarvier, in fact, loves his son. How do I know? Well, case in point is this 1st shot where his son is obliviously sticking the lens of a DSLR into the ground, and Jarvier is not only watching, but photographing the painful scene for posterity. OOOOOOUUUUUUUUCH! Just look closely at this:

But, if that isn't enough proof, then this next shot surely is. After all, Jarvier could easily have rigged this 1st shot, when in fact the lens has its cover on it all along. But, look at this one--his son Daniel, with DSLR & lens strung casually around his shoulder (NOT around his neck--safely) has a course plotted for the sea. I am convinced, Jarvier truly loves his son!!! Just think how easily that strap could slide right down Daniel's shoulder, and into the sea. GOOD GOD!!!
Wow, what a blessing. Thank you so very much. I have more pictures of the boy than I hate to admit He is a brilliant photographer for his age.
Here is his page that has not been updated in a super long time. A reminder that I need to.
Daniels Images - Street Vision...The eyes are the window to the soul- powered by SmugMug
04-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Wow, what a blessing. Thank you so very much. I have more pictures of the boy than I hate to admit He is a brilliant photographer for his age.
Here is his page that has not been updated in a super long time. A reminder that I need to.
Daniels Images - Street Vision...The eyes are the window to the soul- powered by SmugMug
Ok, that's it, I quit. All my gears will be in the Marketplace shortly.

You have a very talented son Javier. Must be the genes.
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #675
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Javier,

I just looked at your son's website, wonderful photos - amazing. You must be so proud.

He has your talent, and how fortunate to have you for a father to get him started early.

Really, I would think being a child is an advantage in itself - no baggage yet about "how" or "what" to shoot, just what his heart and brain envision.

My grandson is almost four and he's already taken a picture with my K20D and lots of help. I'm already planning for his first camera within a year.

And I agree with Bimjo, time to hang it up, and I just started