Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Victoria.

06-17-2017, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drone practice photoshoot in the field to get images for scientific publications.
Drone imagery (UAV-Drone) is used for nitrogen status determination in crops.

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Drone
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Drone
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr
06-30-2017, 11:38 AM - 4 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(x-posted)
Pentax K-1 + DFA70-200 @ 200mm, ƒ/2.8, ISO 4000, 1/250
I took this photo when visiting Ottawa for business reasons. On the evening, I took a walk in the ByWard Market area, and started doing street photography after the sun was gone. I was interested in this beggar person and tool a couple shots of him. I never noticed the couple and baby passing by. When I got back at the hotel I saw this one!
I think it is special and bring lot of emotions.

Last edited by Weevil; 07-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.
07-09-2017, 07:25 AM - 4 Likes   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thunderbirds!

Last edited by dcpropilot; 07-09-2017 at 07:31 AM.
07-13-2017, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #110
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Birds

A couple of nights ago around sunset I was out in the backyard when all of a sudden there was a raucous noise as the sky filled with birds. There appeared to be over 25 Rainbow Lorikeets, a dozen Crows, at least half a dozen Magpies, a couple of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and some Minor birds. As I watched it looked like the Crows and Magpies were hunting the Lorikeets similar to the way lions herd prey animals to excise an individual from the group. That may not have been what was happening but it certainly looked like it. I thought I'd try to capture a bit of what I was seeing, the closest tele happened to be the 70-200. It was a bit short but with multiple fast flying birds it was probably the right lens to use anyway. All images were captured at 800 ISO on the K-1. Larger versions can be found if you follow the links to Flickr.

In this image the small birds flying left to right are the Lorikeets, there's Magpies flying high and the large birds are the Crows flying in on the angle almost like a strafing run. This was the behaviour they repeated which split the flock of Lorikeets. The birds here represent only a third of those involved in this 'melee'.

The ordeal went on for at least half an hour with the sun setting in the background. This small flock of Lorikeets were part of a larger group that started flying low around the tree tops eventually coming to rest high in a neighbours tree.

As I was standing in the yard two Cockies came flying across the top of me. I had just enough time to swing the camera and lens up as the second bird flew over. The low angle of the sun is highlighting the yellow feathers on the inside of the wings of this predominantly white bird. Some trivia on the Cockie: in captivity they've been known to live for up to 80 years.

Tas
07-14-2017, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 does a good job with fast paced sports. Australian rules football.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-03-2017, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset (DFA *70-200)

08-04-2017, 02:41 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Great portrait lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-05-2017, 04:08 AM   #114
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, this is probably a series of silly/stupid questions but that has never stopped me before

background:

I am planning a trip where I will be in a small boat with other people on open water trying to photograph whales

I have an older Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D)

as well as

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW,

SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR

Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210 mm macro zoom [1:25] F2.8-4.0 (Kosine)

Since I am quite confident I will have the necessary $$$$$$$$$ to buy a HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW in the near future ( if I ever start buying lottery tickets ) I have some questions ( finally )

1 can the Pentax 2.8 70 - 200 be used hand held easily

( I do use the 150 - 450 hand held but it can be difficult it is big and heavy after all )

2 I understand that there is an older Tamron option: Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro available in a Pentax mount

any opinions about that one ( I know there are differences between the two - HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Vs. Tamron's 70-200mm | PentaxForums.com Reviews - but in the real world how important are they compared to the cost savings and difference in weight since I cannot support the lens with a monopod or tripod while in the small boat

3 none of my current lenses offer a 2.8 at the long end as does the 2.8 Tamron or 2.8 Pentax however how often do you folks use 2.8 or any thing different than what I can get on my current lenses 4.0, 5.6, or 5.8 at the long end

4 any other thoughts or comments ??

In other words is the 2.8 generally used at 4.0 or 5.6 or 5.8 to obtain best results?

thanks for any and all comments

those whose comments are actually helpful will receive " bonus points " which are acceptable any where you purchase beverages so long as you add an adequate amount of local $.

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2017 at 04:32 AM.
08-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
4 any other thoughts or comments ??
I've never done what you're going to do, so this is not from experience, but I'd say the D-FA* was worth it for two reasons - on APSC, you might, if you're lucky find the short ___***end a bit long, and the D-FA* is the only other all weather option, which might be an issue in a small boat (plus being a fantastic lens) . But definitely use the newer camera with the more advanced SR on a potentially bobbing and pitching boat - which is also where the the extra stops of speed might well be of use. I would think in those circumstances that the shutter speed was more a guarantee of sharpness than the optical quality of the lens, but yes, you can hand-hold the D-FA* with care and SR on, even at the long end.

Keeping the strap around your neck would be a good idea, too

***meant to say "of the 150-450"

Last edited by ffking; 08-05-2017 at 05:31 AM. Reason: omission
08-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #116
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I've never done what you're going to do, so this is not from experience, but I'd say the D-FA* was worth it for two reasons - on APSC, you might, if you're lucky find the short end a bit long, and the D-FA* is the only other all weather option, which might be an issue in a small boat (plus being a fantastic lens) . But definitely use the newer camera with the more advanced SR on a potentially bobbing and pitching boat - which is also where the the extra stops of speed might well be of use. I would think in those circumstances that the shutter speed was more a guarantee of sharpness than the optical quality of the lens, but yes, you can hand-hold the D-FA* with care and SR on, even at the long end.

Keeping the strap around your neck would be a good idea, too
thanks for the speedy comments, good things to consider

first thing my dad taught me

"we paid for that strap use it or else "

I never pick up a camera without putting the strap on asap nor do I allow anyone else to pick up my equipment without doing the same

but I now use a cross body sling as oppose to the neck strap

the SR is through the camera body so the Tamron would have the same SR as the Pentax

despite the claims of WR and AW, I will have the lens and camera covered with a rain protector to protect against moisture and blowing sand at all times, so as far as this project goes, the AW issue is moot
08-05-2017, 04:43 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I had a couple 2 hours hike with the 70-200mm on a K1 body and a special strap and it was OK to carry, but I would say it's a bit heavy, 2 hours would be my max hike with this combo.
I have no experience with the 150-450mm.

As far as shooting @/f2,8, it's really sharp no doubt about it, but I always try to shoot at /f3,5 because there it's amazingly sharp and I aim for this extra sharpness when I can.
But I've shot plenty of concerts @2,8 and it was really good. AF accuracy is great too.
08-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have shot the DFA * 70-200 mainly on a K-1, but occasionally on my K3. It works well on both. Probably faster auto focus than the Tamron and probably a little sharper wide open. I think the Pentax has a little nicer colors and contrast out of the box, although most of that is fixable in post processing. The focus limiter is nice to speed auto focus, although I haven't used it much (I don't shoot sports). I pretty much only use it hand held and while it does get a bit heavy after a few hours, with a nice strap it isn't too bad -- should be easier to deal with than your 150-450.

If you have the funds, I would prefer the Pentax, but the Tamron 70-200 is a nice lens too and I wouldn't want to criticize it either.
08-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #119
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I had a couple 2 hours hike with the 70-200mm on a K1 body and a special strap and it was OK to carry, but I would say it's a bit heavy, 2 hours would be my max hike with this combo.
I have no experience with the 150-450mm.

As far as shooting @/f2,8, it's really sharp no doubt about it, but I always try to shoot at /f3,5 because there it's amazingly sharp and I aim for this extra sharpness when I can.
But I've shot plenty of concerts @2,8 and it was really good. AF accuracy is great too.
even f 3.5 beats all of my current options except the Vivitar and I don't trust my manual focusing skills all that much any more
08-06-2017, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jewel (with DFA *70-200)