Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couple more!

11-27-2018, 09:38 AM - 9 Likes   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Couple more!

Beautiful! Need to do some more bokeh telephotos with this amazing lens. Here's a wide open shot from me, from the same trip as the last shot:

And here is the other, stopped down side of the 70-200:

John C

Last edited by johnc; 11-27-2018 at 09:44 AM.
11-27-2018, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Beautiful! Need to do some more bokeh telephotos with this amazing lens. Here's a wide open shot from me, from the same trip as the last shot:

John C
I really like the second, third and last of the set.
11-27-2018, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #319
Pentaxian

John C
Awesome shots! This lens is great companion even when travelling. Heavy, yes, but..look at those pictures!

12-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thoughts, comments on buying a used one of these or a used DA* 60-250
12-05-2018, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Having just had 60-250 couple of times in my hands. Seems great lens, have heard it us little slow focusing and it extends while zooming in, have to modify for FF, but it is cheaper, and little lighter than this and wider zoom range.

Good things with 70-200, great handle, helps with bulk. Sharp from 2.8 across zoom range. No performance fall of towards 200 mm.(atleast my copy). Stopped down to f4(where DA begins) almost all vingetting gone too. Fast focus. IF lens so it does not extend while zooming in or out. So no zoom creaping either.

But, with handle on it is little cumbersome to take off from bag and put it back. So no fast slip out and in with this one. With hood on, it is long. It is heavy, but for me it is not that much of a problem. Atleast I know that it delivers so it is nice to take that weight. It all is quite relative on what you have been used to. One thing is that it handles flare quite well, only thing is that red ring around strong highlight hitting straight to you. Other than that, there is not much to be said, great colour, contrast, and nice pop, with good performance across the zoom range. Make sure that used one is in good shape, and you should be fine getting 70-200. There are some bad samples of both of these lenses, that goes to all lenses.. but other than that. I’d go with 70-200 if you really need that f 2.8. And fast focus. Both has AW sealing. This 70-200 does not extend, so it might be less possible to get leaking parts. And it has been made 2017.

Edit: looking at top picture this page, you can see what I mean with that red ring. To me it is not con. But for some it might be(also it can hurt your eye to take picture like that with tele..
12-05-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #322
Veteran Member

I had both for a while. I didn't make very direct comparisons/test shots but I can offer some impressions on using both on FF.

For me, 70-200 is sharper, faster, more accurately focusing, with nicer bokeh and basically no appreciable vignetting. You pay in cash, weight and size, sadly. Also flare resistance is not always as good as I would like. On sunny days, you really have to use the hood, even if the sun is not in the frame, which adds significant length.

60-250 has ok bokeh and centre sharpness, but vignetted a bit too much for my comfort on FF and I didn't want to make the baffle modification to improve this, although it seems pretty simple. I did feel that AF speed and accuracy was not really great at times. It's often priced as something of a bargain nowadays, especially s/h. The size/weight/performance ratio is good, if you do a lot of hiking this could really make sense.

I would probably have kept 60-250 if I was holding on to a crop body, where it makes a very light combo for the range and performance (and can also be paired with the 1.4x teleconverter pretty effectively). But, once I passed on my K-3, I felt that having both, as well as the 150-450 was just overkill.

John C

12-05-2018, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #323
Pentaxian

I had both for a while. I didn't make very direct comparisons/test shots but I can offer some impressions on using both on FF.

For me, 70-200 is sharper, faster, more accurately focusing, with nicer bokeh and basically no appreciable vignetting. You pay in cash, weight and size, sadly. Also flare resistance is not always as good as I would like. On sunny days, you really have to use the hood, even if the sun is not in the frame, which adds significant length.

60-250 has ok bokeh and centre sharpness, but vignetted a bit too much for my comfort on FF and I didn't want to make the baffle modification to improve this, although it seems pretty simple. I did feel that AF speed and accuracy was not really great at times. It's often priced as something of a bargain nowadays, especially s/h. The size/weight/performance ratio is good, if you do a lot of hiking this could really make sense.

I would probably have kept 60-250 if I was holding on to a crop body, where it makes a very light combo for the range and performance (and can also be paired with the 1.4x teleconverter pretty effectively). But, once I passed on my K-3, I felt that having both, as well as the 150-450 was just overkill.

John C
that sounds about right. I Allways use hood, even when it is cloudy. I have got used of catching attention when using this lens in public(well any camera does it in some extent, this lens little a bit more). For hiking I’d, a) Suck it up and carry this thing or b) get longer lens instead and something from 50-150 to cover short tele.
12-05-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #324
Veteran Member

that sounds about right. I Allways use hood, even when it is cloudy. I have got used of catching attention when using this lens in public(well any camera does it in some extent, this lens little a bit more). For hiking I’d, a) Suck it up and carry this thing or b) get longer lens instead and something from 50-150 to cover short tele.
I think you have to, shame it’s *quite* so long but it does keep the raindrops off the front element!

I just suck it up and carry it too, unless I have the 150-450, it’s an either or. It’s worth it.

John
12-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you have to, shame it’s *quite* so long but it does keep the raindrops off the front element!

I just suck it up and carry it too, unless I have the 150-450, it’s an either or. It’s worth it.

John
My typical walk around (K-3ii) is the 16-85 and I do have an old M75-150 that serves as my long telephoto for now, but I'd like something a bit more serious eventually...like the 70-200...I really love the IQ of this lens
12-06-2018, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #326
Pentaxian

My typical walk around (K-3ii) is the 16-85 and I do have an old M75-150 that serves as my long telephoto for now, but I'd like something a bit more serious eventually...like the 70-200...I really love the IQ of this lens
I have still M 75-150, it used to be my most favourite lens, especially with K-1. And reason to upgrade to 70-200 was just what you said. I was looking at 70-200 tamron, and DA* 60-250 and this *70-200. This 70-200 is more serious. Why I also did choose it over 60-250 was because it was new, with best SDM system, designed 2017. I think that I would have gone this way also with K-3. I have used it with it too. Only drawback is that even if M 75-150 is smaller, significantly, I doubt that I will ever use it again, especially if i want to take pictures with consistent quality and great AF. Problem with DFA*70-200 is that it is so good, that you can't blame it if picture is not good. Ofcourse, it is not perfect either. But it is pretty darn good for a zoom.

oh and Tamron did not qualify on that list, because of not WR.

I had DA*60-250 and DFA*70-200 next to each other on the table at shop in Shanghai, both in box brand new. This one did end up with me, have not regretted at all, even if it was expensive.

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 10:10 ----------

John
It is long, but when you have camera up on your eye, you wont see/think about it anymore I think that this 150-450 will be in my bag with in couple of years, when I get more money. They just are so good. One thing is to get budget things, and still end up buying better and better, just because. OR just get one proper at once and stop thinking about that, just shooting.
12-06-2018, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #327
Pentaxian

Lot of talk, no pictures. Here is some pictures from parade today with this lens. For next time I got plenty ideas for more shots..

portraits

Machines

And flare

I kind a knew that this lens gives me lot room to play, but it also gave me quite a surprise how much can be done with one lens. These are with K-1.
12-07-2018, 11:28 AM - 4 Likes   #328
Forum Member

May have been the landing platform that brought my grandfather ashore on D-Day+1

And the modern RN
12-10-2018, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We got about a foot of snow yesterday and my kids went out sledding and loved it (for you metric people we got about 35 cm of snow).

Took some photos with the DFA *70-200. It was actually hard because the snow was falling hard enough that the camera wanted to pull off onto the snow and not the kids.

Snow Brings Joy

Down the Hill

Back Up Again.

12-11-2018, 08:07 AM - 4 Likes   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Calf in the Snow (DFA *70-200mm)