Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

And the first picture it wanted to take was of its box....

PZO Amar S f4.5 105mm m42 Polish enlarger lens + Formula 5 m42 belows + Pentax m42-to-K adapter + K110D at iso 200. From about 3 feet, lens at f16, using K110D's flip-up flash.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 08-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.
08-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:03 pm Post subject: Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Greetings!

I am wanting to adapt my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF.

Can anyone guide me as to how I can go about this or where I can purchase a helicoid focusing adapter for this.

The lens doesn't seem to have a standard 42 thread, 50mm maybe?

Thanks a million in advance!

08-05-2017, 01:43 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by modsupremo Quote
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:03 pm Post subject: Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Greetings!

I am wanting to adapt my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF.

Can anyone guide me as to how I can go about this or where I can purchase a helicoid focusing adapter for this.

The lens doesn't seem to have a standard 42 thread, 50mm maybe?

Thanks a million in advance!

It is an M50 screw mount. Both Rodenstock and Schneider-Kreuznach are using this mount. I know that adapters from M50 to m39 exist but they have been pricey in the past (check what rafcamera are selling now). For 150mm lens, you'll need more than a helicoid to take pictures as it is a long focal length. I would advise a helicoid, as long as possible, maybe something like this and m42 extension tubes to add some length. Also, You'll need an m42 to Canon EF adapter (chipped if you want focus confirmation, but beware, some of the newer Canon models won't accept chipped adapters without firmware upgrade). Alternative solution is to get some m42 bellows and adapt them to EF mount. This bellows solution will likely get you to 1:1 magnification as well and that is really sweet for a 150mm lens.
The biggest problem for you is the m50 to m42 adapter (or m50 to m39, combined with a m39 to m42 adapter). I would just find somebody locally with a metal lathe and fabricate it.

I hope that my answer is clear enough.

In the end, I'll just say that you got a great lens there and I wish you the best of luck with it.
Componon-S line of lenses is fantastic for shooting anything from macro to landscapes and gives consistent results at all apertures. In June, I did a full month with a 100 mm Componon-s and it is a great lens. Some examples are here-under.

Anacamptis coriophora subsp. fragrans x Anacamptis palustris hybrid
by Marko Jankovic, on Flickr

The garden varieties

Salvia microphylla

Centaurium erythraea

Thymelicus lineola on Centaurea calcitrapa

Limonium vulgare

Thymelicus lineola

Bombylius on Centaurea calcitrapa

Please, mind not the specs of dust

Just another Cosmos
08-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
It is an M50 screw mount. Both Rodenstock and Schneider-Kreuznach are using this mount. I know that adapters from M50 to m39 exist but they have been pricey in the past (check what rafcamera are selling now). For 150mm lens, you'll need more than a helicoid to take pictures as it is a long focal length. I would advise a helicoid, as long as possible, maybe something like this and m42 extension tubes to add some length. Also, You'll need an m42 to Canon EF adapter (chipped if you want focus confirmation, but beware, some of the newer Canon models won't accept chipped adapters without firmware upgrade). Alternative solution is to get some m42 bellows and adapt them to EF mount. This bellows solution will likely get you to 1:1 magnification as well and that is really sweet for a 150mm lens.
The biggest problem for you is the m50 to m42 adapter (or m50 to m39, combined with a m39 to m42 adapter). I would just find somebody locally with a metal lathe and fabricate it.

I hope that my answer is clear enough.

In the end, I'll just say that you got a great lens there and I wish you the best of luck with it.
Componon-S line of lenses is fantastic for shooting anything from macro to landscapes and gives consistent results at all apertures. In June, I did a full month with a 100 mm Componon-s and it is a great lens. Some examples are here-under.

Anacamptis coriophora subsp. fragrans x Anacamptis palustris hybrid

The garden varieties

Salvia microphylla

Centaurium erythraea

Thymelicus lineola on Centaurea calcitrapa

Limonium vulgare

Thymelicus lineola

Bombylius on Centaurea calcitrapa

Please, mind not the specs of dust

Just another Cosmos
Thanks ever so much for your answer and the images that you included which are both very clear and informative!
I will gather all needed items based on your info then...

God bless you and best regards!

08-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #20

Hello @udi 5 cyl! I have found this on ebay...

M65 to M65 Lens Adjustable Focusing Helicoid Macro Tube Adapter 36mm to 90mm | eBay

Not quiet sure if it is long enough a range for my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to shoot close up and infinity as well.

Best regards!
08-06-2017, 02:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hello @udi 5 cyl! I have found this on ebay...

M65 to M65 Lens Adjustable Focusing Helicoid Macro Tube Adapter 36mm to 90mm | eBay

Not quiet sure if it is long enough a range for my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to shoot close up and infinity as well.

Best regards!
I took out my Componon 5,6/150 for a spin and determined that for infinity you'll need roughly 10cm, and for 1:1 ratio, roughly 26cm of extension from your camera body. This means that the helicoid you have found on ebay, won't even give you infinity without extension tubes, but using a 36-90mm helicoid with 62-64mm of extension tubes, will give you an effective range from infinity to approximately 1:2,75. Which is not bad at all.
I have a M65 helicoid that I use for Russian projector lenses with a barrel diameter of 62.5mm. I find these helicoids difficult to adapt as they are using big m65 thread, especially on the lens end. I would go for a m42 to m42 36-90mm helicoid as it is a lot easier to adapt it to Canon EF and easily available m42 extension tubes. Here's a link for it:

M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter + CAP

I would only add that for real macro application, bellows are far more convenient. I am reaching about 1,6:1 ratio with my Russian m42 bellows and this lens, mounted on 55mm of extension tubes, while still keeping the infinity focusing.
08-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #22

I took out my Componon 5,6/150 for a spin and determined that for infinity you'll need roughly 10cm, and for 1:1 ratio, roughly 26cm of extension from your camera body. This means that the helicoid you have found on ebay, won't even give you infinity without extension tubes, but using a 36-90mm helicoid with 62-64mm of extension tubes, will give you an effective range from infinity to approximately 1:2,75. Which is not bad at all.
I have a M65 helicoid that I use for Russian projector lenses with a barrel diameter of 62.5mm. I find these helicoids difficult to adapt as they are using big m65 thread, especially on the lens end. I would go for a m42 to m42 36-90mm helicoid as it is a lot easier to adapt it to Canon EF and easily available m42 extension tubes. Here's a link for it:

M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter + CAP

I would only add that for real macro application, bellows are far more convenient. I am reaching about 1,6:1 ratio with my Russian m42 bellows and this lens, mounted on 55mm of extension tubes, while still keeping the infinity focusing.

Thank you very much for the info!

God bless!

08-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #23

Thank you very much for the info!

God bless!
Just a thought, will the M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter + CAP adapt to my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens?
If I combined 2 of this Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter, will I achieve infinity focus? I would need an M42 to Canon EOS EF at one end and an M42 to whatever diameter my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens has to be able to make it work withcamera, is it right?

Thanks once again!

---------- Post added 08-06-17 at 02:46 PM ----------

Hello and thanks for your reply!

I found this on ebay...

Will using 2 of these allow for infinity focus on my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens. Will M65 be the right one for this enlarger lens with Mount Size of 50mm? I need to use this on my Canon D650 with EF mount.

Best regards!
08-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Just a thought, will the M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter + CAP adapt to my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens?
If I combined 2 of this Adjustable Focusing Helicoid 36-90mm Macro Extension Adapter, will I achieve infinity focus? I would need an M42 to Canon EOS EF at one end and an M42 to whatever diameter my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens has to be able to make it work withcamera, is it right?

Thanks once again!

---------- Post added 08-06-17 at 02:46 PM ----------

Hello and thanks for your reply!

I found this on ebay...

Will using 2 of these allow for infinity focus on my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens. Will M65 be the right one for this enlarger lens with Mount Size of 50mm? I need to use this on my Canon D650 with EF mount.

Best regards!
What you need:

- Canon EF to m42, chipped if possible
- One m42 helicoid 39-90mm and a set of m42 extension tubes (those are very cheap on ebay) or two helicoids, why not (will have infinity and will have 1:1,3 magnification or so at the same time)
- m42 to m50 adapter (but be sure to check that the rear element of your lens is not wider than 42mm!!!). I found this one (M50x0.75 female to M42x1 male long adapter for Rodenstock lenses) online, but you can use that one only if you do not use the two stacked helicoids.
08-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #25

What you need:

- Canon EF to m42, chipped if possible
- One m42 helicoid 39-90mm and a set of m42 extension tubes (those are very cheap on ebay) or two helicoids, why not (will have infinity and will have 1:1,3 magnification or so at the same time)
- m42 to m50 adapter (but be sure to check that the rear element of your lens is not wider than 42mm!!!). I found this one (M50x0.75 female to M42x1 male long adapter for Rodenstock lenses) online, but you can use that one only if you do not use the two stacked helicoids.
Than you ever so much @Audi 5 cyl!

Let me see what I could scour on eBay and shall keep you posted with any developments...

Best regards and God bless!
08-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #26

Than you ever so much @Audi 5 cyl!

Let me see what I could scour on eBay and shall keep you posted with any developments...

Best regards and God bless!

Hello @Audi 5 cyl!

I hope that all is well with you and your loved ones!

Forgive my bothering you with my messages. Finalizing my purchase of adapter items...

I need you advice to adapt my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens to Canon EF to shoot close-up and infinity as well.

If I have the following:

M50x0.75 female to M42x1 male long adapter for Rodenstock lenses

M50x0.75 female to M42x1 male long adapter for Rodenstock lenses | eBay

Two (2x) M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid Adapter 36-90mm Macro Extension Tube

M42 to M42 Adjustable Focusing Helicoid Adapter 36-90mm Macro Extension Tube | eBay

Adjustable EMF AF Confirm M42 Lens to Canon EOS EF Lens Adapter 600d 1200d 550d

Adjustable EMF AF Confirm M42 Lens to Canon EOS EF Lens Adapter 600d 1200d 550d

Will all this adapt and enable me to use my Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarger lens (Focal Flange Distance of this lens - 143.3mm) to Canon EF to shoot close-up and infinity as well.

Thanks a million for your kind assistance!
08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K110D straight ooc jpeg, with saturation, contrast, & sharpness zeroed. No pp.
with PZO Amar S f4.5 105mm m42-mount enlarger lens, on bellows + 10mm ext tube, f/8

03-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #28

Been a while since I have posted. I am getting back to enlargers for landscapes as a new acquisition - a Japanese made Durst neonon 50/2.8 - has been added. Test images look pretty sweet so am in hopes of clean infinity imagery. Shown mounted on my Sony a6300 with helicoid.
Attached Images

03-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #29

As promised, a few test images from the Durst Neonon 50/2.8. My sample arrived in LN condition for $25 shipped on eBay. It is Made in Japan, which may confirm the opinion that it is Pentax-made, but I have yet to find confirmation on this anywhere. Online images of the retail box are in English and German, hence the Schneider-made theory - go figure.

Minimum focus distance is ~19" with excellent contrast for focusing at all apertures (yay!). This version is multicoated with apertures from f2.8-22 in a typical 39mm threaded mount.

Contrary to many users, I am looking for an infinity lens for landscapes - especially multi-frame panoramas due to its minimal distortion characteristics. My Componons and Rodagons have not been particularly stellar but this Durst may be a real winner. Waiting for a little sunlight to finish these test pix...well, we got a nice snowfall instead.

Banana label: MFD / 100% Crop / f2.8 / Center of frame
Very sharp with plenty of DoF control

Bradford Pear (RGB & LAB Monochrome): Full frame @ f2.8
Highly detailed test shot - shallow DoF on this

Billboard: Infinity @ f8
This is what I was looking for most - very clean with minimal post processing
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 
03-13-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #30

My recent $25 Durst 50/2.8 enlarger lens acquisition has proven to be more than a mere macro tool - it is an optical triumph all around. All shots made on the Sony a6300 with the usual helicoid and adapter rings.

Bokeh, DoF, infinity detail - it's all there. These samples have not been sharpened, just given some contrast and color help.

The detail in the radio towers is the most significant result.

Distortion is nonexistent in the Apple store faux pano.

Bokeh balls were clear and circular in a wide open shot of the Belk store photo (not included).

DoF is quite good at f8 in the mall shot focusing on the yellow warning tape in midfield.

Threw in a Bradford Pear tree that held up well to some heavy handed post treatment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6300  Photo 

Last edited by Takumar105; 03-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.