Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1043 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Been in Montana a number of times, Spent a month or so at Makoshika one summer. In grad school M and I took a geology field course south of Cardwell. It can be stunning, but for me only a place to visit.
Me too on the visiting bit. Been up there mostly in the summer as a nice escape from the summer heat here in AZ. Have a buddy here in Phoenix that just bought a cabin up there though, so hoping to make some more visits during other times of the year as well.

11-28-2021, 12:33 AM - 6 Likes   #392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 150 macro and very happy with it. This frog frog was in the shadows near my shed. First shot at F2.8 and then F8 and F10.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-01-2021, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hiking season is back in the mountains around Phoenix. A couple of desertscapes in the Superstitions with the 15mm.

12-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooks333 Quote
Hiking season is back in the mountains around Phoenix. A couple of desertscapes in the Superstitions with the 15mm.

Those are some spooky hoodoos! I would clone out the lens flares in the first image, but that's just me.

12-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Those are some spooky hoodoos! I would clone out the lens flares in the first image, but that's just me.
Its funny, I normally hate flare and almost always get rid of it in post. Something about that shot made me keep it this time, though I'd be hard pressed to explain what it was. And yeah, the hoodoos in the Supes are totally wild.
12-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macronaut Quote
I have the 150 macro and very happy with it. This frog frog was in the shadows near my shed. First shot at F2.8 and then F8 and F10.
Very funny looking frog with its fingers crossed! I should use my 150mm more... it just don't like the flash (I have sync issues with that lens... so it requires good natural light and tripod most of the time.
12-06-2021, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Very funny looking frog with its fingers crossed!
I think he was praying for rain! This was a few months back though, plenty of rain here now. I used a rolled up rag for a rest. No flash. The frog was perfectly still for the 15 secs of the last shot, except for under his chin from breathing. I haven't worked out how to attach my ring flash yet. I was disappointed that I can't use my 2X teleconverter though, the aperture feed back lever of the converter has no corresponding slot in the lens. I may try to remove feedback lever as none of my cameras need it and a 300mm macro would be good for chasing bugs.

12-07-2021, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked a bit closer lens mount issue between the Irix 150mm and the 2X and see that the problem is with the Irix lens mount. It does not have the slot machined out where the aperture ring feedback is on an A lens. The lever inside the 2X Here it is compared to the 28-105. I might see if it is possible to remove the lever from the 2X as none of my cameras use it. Are all Irix lenses the same?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-08-2021, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I might as well check the garden while I have the 150mm out.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macronaut Quote
I looked a bit closer lens mount issue between the Irix 150mm and the 2X and see that the problem is with the Irix lens mount. It does not have the slot machined out where the aperture ring feedback is on an A lens. The lever inside the 2X Here it is compared to the 28-105. I might see if it is possible to remove the lever from the 2X as none of my cameras use it. Are all Irix lenses the same?
Interesting thing here... may worth adding that into a review for this lens...

I don't have a 2x TC, but all I can test and say is that the HD Pentax-DA TC 1.4x fits ok with the Irix Macro 150mm and the 15mm blackstone... but it may not cover the entire FF area.
12-20-2021, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Interesting thing here... may worth adding that into a review for this lens...

I don't have a 2x TC, but all I can test and say is that the HD Pentax-DA TC 1.4x fits ok with the Irix Macro 150mm and the 15mm blackstone... but it may not cover the entire FF area.
For the 1.7x AF converter, I had to remove the aperture simulator lever. The combo focuses well now thanks to the nice sharpness/contrast of the IRIX wide open, but of course the AF range is narrow.
12-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
For the 1.7x AF converter, I had to remove the aperture simulator lever. The combo focuses well now thanks to the nice sharpness/contrast of the IRIX wide open, but of course the AF range is narrow.
good to know, thanks !
12-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #403

Taking advantage of a quick and short freeze, I tried capturing some frost close up with my Irix 150.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
12-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! How did I miss this Irix thread? Here's two examples, first from my 150mm (purchase in May) and the second from the new 30mm (purchased 2 weeks ago). I'm not great at MF but the lenses are absolute smash hits to me. The sharpness, bokeh and colour clarity are all exceptional as is the virtually no existing CA and PF

The 150mm

The 30mm
12-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Temporary EXIF fix for the 30mm/f1.4 Dragonfly

Disclaimer: This concerns ONLY the newly released 30mm/f1.4 and I have not noticed the same behavior on my Irix 150mm macro. I use a KP so I have no way of establishing if this quirk affects all Pentax bodies.

I had noticed the LensID doesn't identify by name in most libraries and through a quirk the K-mount version of the lens does not properly identify the Exif fields FocalLength and FocalLengthIn35mmFormat - at least on my KP it does not. Mostly this would not effect you in post-processing but for some purposes (such as cataloging, panos or perspective correction) it would be handy to have said details in the Exif.

I hope future production runs will correct this and maybe Irix will offer updated firmware (if the lens has any at all to begin with). In the meantime, the following command would do the trick either from the CLI or in a script, run from within a directory containing files from the Irix 30mm. If you are worried about overwriting files, just take out the -overwrite_original flag so that exiftool will ensure a backup original is retained.

Code:
exiftool -LensModel='Irix 30mm f/1.4 Dragonfly' -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat='45mm' -FocalLength='30.0 mm' -if '$LensType=0x0464' -m -overwrite_original ./*.*