Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jantjooh Quote
Where did you buy the lens? (I live in Holland too).
Directly from yhe IRIX Europe site. It was delevered through their dealer in Poland Sklep fotograficzny Foto-Tip - Wi?cej ni? pasja.

11-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #32

Very sharp and well focused photos! I'm asking this in other threads but as an astrophotographer I need to know if irix provides hard-stop infinity and well calibrated at infinity.
11-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
Directly from yhe IRIX Europe site. It was delevered through their dealer in Poland Sklep fotograficzny Foto-Tip - Wi?cej ni? pasja.
Thank you!
Jan.
11-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Does anyone yet have both the Irix 15 and the DFA 15-30? Comparisons would be useful.
Sharing from a comment from another user whom have both the lenses.
copy from here

Some basic observations -
- Great resolution from the lens, and I dare say it rivals the 15-30 at the edges. Probably better it.
- Firefly's plastics does make it difficult to mount the 95mm filters. The same thing for me when I was using the Sigma 10-20 in the past.
- Great weight versus say the 15-30mm. Firefly hor. Not Blackstone.
- Infinity click on the focusing while quite gimmicky is actually quite a plus in my opinion.
- Better for me to pano than say the 15-30 because pano gear adds weight and this lens help save some overall weight.
- Quite tight focus ring. Not a bad thing ...
- The provided hood has a definitive way of being attached and detached. Don't press on the smaller petal of the hood, press on the bigger petal.
- Complete lack of distortion which is really really useful. It's a pain with some lenses, and cannot be even corrected by PS or LR.

11-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
Very sharp and well focused photos! I'm asking this in other threads but as an astrophotographer I need to know if irix provides hard-stop infinity and well calibrated at infinity.
The focus ring will slightly turn past infinity but has a click stop at the calibrated infinity. I don't own one yet so I can't tell how well the factory calibration is but there is a small access door that can be opened to recalibrate the infinity focus click point yourself and it also has a switch to lock focus at any chosen point.

Last edited by alpheios; 11-23-2016 at 06:18 AM.
11-25-2016, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #36

I'm not a K1 user, but in a few days I'll be a very proud owner of a brand new irix firefly 15mm f2.4 for only 399€

Thanks you, black friday!!!
11-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmpince Quote
I'm not a K1 user, but in a few days I'll be a very proud owner of a brand new irix firefly 15mm f2.4 for only 399€

Thanks you, black friday!!!
How did you get that deal?

11-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
How did you get that deal?
In a store here in Spain, for the black friday, it was only available for a few hours.
11-27-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

11-27-2016, 01:44 PM - 7 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've previously posted first impressions of my IRIX 15mm Blackstone (on K1) in another thread (#441) so I won't repost.

But here are another couple of images grabbed this morning. The beginnings of my IRIX album are here.

11-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #41
Forum Member

Nice shots Ozz...how do you find flaring on Blackstone? Your shots look good but there are some disturbing examples taken with Firefly on the Internet. Coming from Sigma 10-20mm I don't mind a 'good' flare and do like to put it to some creative use, but I do have limits on what is acceptable. Would be super grateful if you could share your thoughts. Cheers!
11-29-2016, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
Nice shots Ozz...how do you find flaring on Blackstone? Your shots look good but there are some disturbing examples taken with Firefly on the Internet. Coming from Sigma 10-20mm I don't mind a 'good' flare and do like to put it to some creative use, but I do have limits on what is acceptable. Would be super grateful if you could share your thoughts. Cheers!
I'm quite comfortable with it overall, but it's a very subjective statement. If I have the Sun off centre but in-frame on a diagonal, I get an obvious arc in one corner, a distinct glow in the other and a few bits and pieces in between (see here) and I quite like it. If the Sun is close to frame centre I get an obvious and quite horrible arc on both sides of the frame. If the Sun is out tomorrow, I'll take some shots just to demonstrate flare.

Edit: OK here's a shot from today. Intermittent high cloud made things a bit difficult, but this shot demonstrates how my Blackstone reacts to direct bright Sunlight placed centre frame. Recompose just a little to get the Sun out of centre and the arcs disappear, or if you want you can keep an arc in one corner. This image is uncropped. Changing the aperture f2.4 through to f16 makes no difference. Taken with supplied hood installed. More tests to do, but I need a session with unobscured Sun. Note the scarcity of CF

Last edited by OzzRod; 12-02-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Updated response.
11-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I've previously posted first impressions of my IRIX 15mm Blackstone (on K1) in another thread (#441) so I won't repost.

But here are another couple of images grabbed this morning. The beginnings of my IRIX album are here.

Wow lots of nice shots in your album.. Thumbs up!
11-29-2016, 08:48 AM - 5 Likes   #44
Forum Member

11-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I'm quite comfortable with it overall, but it's a very subjective statement. If I have the Sun off centre but in-frame on a diagonal, I get an obvious arc in one corner, a distinct glow in the other and a few bits and pieces in between (see here) and I quite like it. If the Sun is close to frame centre I get an obvious and quite horrible arc on both sides of the frame. If the Sun is out tomorrow, I'll take some shots just to demonstrate flare.

Edit: OK here's a shot from today. Intermittent high cloud made things a bit difficult, but this shot demonstrates how my Blackstone reacts to direct bright Sunlight placed centre frame. Recompose just a little to get the Sun out of centre and the arcs disappea, or if you want you can keep an arc in one corner. This image is uncropped. Changing the aperture f2.4 through to f16 makes no difference. Taken with supplied hood installed. More tests to do, but I need a session with unobscured Sun. Note the scarcity of CF
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and attach an example. Much appreciated