Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1043 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Still enjoying my 15mm IRIX and looking forward to arrival of the 11mm.
You've ordered the 11? I'm *very* interested in seeing what you can produce with that. I'm extremely happy with my DFA15-30, so the Irix 15 is not really on my RADAR.

03-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You've ordered the 11? I'm *very* interested in seeing what you can produce with that. I'm extremely happy with my DFA15-30, so the Irix 15 is not really on my RADAR.
Not ordered formally. Made a special visit to DCW in Sydney last Friday as their advert. implied they had stock, but it's still pre-order. I won't shop with them again. Other Oz webstores the same. B&H were still pre-order when I checked last night; Adorama want an arm and a leg for freight. I'm hoping IRIX will list the 11mm in their on-line store soon - that's where I bought my 15mm - service was excellent.
03-16-2017, 03:24 AM - 7 Likes   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nature put on a grand display this evening with an almost orgasmic display of rapidly changing sky colour. I managed two half decent pictures, although in my excitement I missed focus slightly and the aperture wasn't quite small enough to compensate. So if these two images don't appear as sharp as they should, blame me, not the IRIX

Above: an uncropped snap of the home forest as I rushed out to my truck.

Below: a stitch of two landscape format frames using PSE13.

03-16-2017, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #94

Here is my first contribution to the thread: A panorama of 5 shots with my K5-iis and an Irix Firefly 15mm at f4:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140041631@N04/33325581716/

---------- Post added 03-16-17 at 05:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jmpince Quote
Here is my first contribution to the thread: A panorama of 5 shots with my K5-iis and an Irix Firefly 15mm at f4:
Ruinas del Castillo de Alange | Jose Galvan | Flickr

Last edited by jmpince; 03-16-2017 at 05:23 AM.
03-16-2017, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Still enjoying my 15mm IRIX and looking forward to arrival of the 11mm.

I wish your picture of the bench overlooking the coast were in the present PF monthly contest... I would definitely vote for it in the "Benches" contest!
03-16-2017, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Binocular Viewfinder Quote
I wish your picture of the bench overlooking the coast were in the present PF monthly contest... I would definitely vote for it in the "Benches" contest!
LOL - Thank you very much, but having only taken the shot two days ago, it was well after the competition closing date. But I do very much appreciate your comment.
03-17-2017, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ruinas del Castillo de Alange | Jose Galvan | Flickr

---------- Post added 03-16-17 at 05:24 AM ----------

Niiiice introduction to the thread!
Hi Seems you had issues sharing from Flickr. You should use the BBCode Share link, with minimum 1024 pixela wide FYI..

Here it is!

Ruinas del Castillo de Alange
by Jose Galvan, sur Flickr

03-19-2017, 02:28 AM - 5 Likes   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Niiiice introduction to the thread!
Hi Seems you had issues sharing from Flickr. You should use the BBCode Share link, with minimum 1024 pixela wide FYI..

Here it is!

Ruinas del Castillo de Alange
by Jose Galvan, sur Flickr
Thank you, I didn´t know how to share photos from flickr.

So, now that I already know how to do it, here you have more photos done with the Irix:

And YES, these two macros are done with the Irix and its 0.25m minimum focusing distance

And the oher one:

I hope you like it, and I´m in love with my Irix
03-19-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

So, now that I already know how to do it, here you have more photos done with the Irix:

And YES, these two macros are done with the Irix and its 0.25m minimum focusing distance

And the oher one:

Grrrreat!
Now my LBA hurts!!!
It would be nice to see how this lens deals to make starbursts.. try shooting f9 to f16 on direct light sources (sun, spotlights, etc), and under expose a bit then raise in PP....
THe DA 15 LTD (apsc) is a good example of what it should be for starbusts (there is a lens club thread dedicated to it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-contro...-club-139.html)
I'd love to see the comparisons...
03-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #100
Veteran Member

And the oher one:

Wow Great works!
I have never really thought of Macro works with the irix. could i ask, any cropping for the macro shots?
03-22-2017, 01:48 AM - 3 Likes   #101
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Grrrreat!
Now my LBA hurts!!!
It would be nice to see how this lens deals to make starbursts.. try shooting f9 to f16 on direct light sources (sun, spotlights, etc), and under expose a bit then raise in PP....
THe DA 15 LTD (apsc) is a good example of what it should be for starbusts (there is a lens club thread dedicated to it: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - Page 139 - PentaxForums.com)
I'd love to see the comparisons...
It's not the 15mm ltd but still produces very nice starbursts I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-22-2017, 02:21 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Starburst quality looks comparable to the DA15. Just the number of points is different.
Flare resistance also looks pretty impressive....
03-22-2017, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My IRIX does starbursts :-)

They're very nice, but not quite as well defined as with my smc DA15 Ltd. Exposure 2 secs @ f11 ISO400
03-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Wow Great works!
I have never really thought of Macro works with the irix. could i ask, any cropping for the macro shots?
Not too much, only a bit to re-compose the final shot, but only a bit in the edges.

Any tips for starburst with the Irix?
03-22-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any tips for starburst with the Irix?
I have taken notes from the DA 15mm thread, copied here:

QuoteQuote:
Photo - Starburst - how to meter and post treatement

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-control...ml#post2865289
Question for starburst lovers: how and where do you meter when you have the sun in frame? Multi-segmented metering, center weighted or spot metering ?
I often do this:
1. aperture priority, dial in -1 EV
2. meter with the sun just outside the frame
3. AE-lock
4. recompose with the sun in the frame (the intended shot)
5. shoot.
That way the sun doesn't influence the metering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-control...ml#post3603963
I do really try to make sure front and back element are really clean and I don't use filters as any little spots will tend to increase flare. I find the best stars are produced somewhere between f8 and f11. I mostly use a tripod with this lens to keep my iso low.

As for post processing, I typically start with a RAW file that looks something like this:

For this file, I processed it in Lightroom by bumping exposure 2.28, making highlights -98, and bumping shadows by +66. I then dropped a digital GND on the photo that I created that I call the Sky Brush and it drops exposure by .4 and highlights by 57. Bump clarity and vibrance a bit and I am done.

It may sound like it takes a lot of time, but I have presets that do most of this quickly.

The end result looks more like this:

I hope that helps. Nik Collection is free now and it is another way to get a lot of these things done. I have some presets I created in Color Efex that do many of the same things.