Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1043 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #136

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
Irix plus Hitech Firecrest 10 stops.
Very nice image. What size is that Firecrest filter? ( I presume it's a rectangular model, correct?). How do you find that filter's color 'neutrality'?

I may have one of these lenses for my K-1 in near future, so will then be in the market for a 10-15 stop ND. In the past I've used Haida 6 and 10 stop ND's on my (now gone) K-3 setup, Haida is nice product, absolutely no color cast whatsoever; price is right too

Thanks/Bill

Last edited by wgosma; 05-13-2017 at 06:31 PM.
06-04-2017, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IRIX 15/2.4 Blackstone seriously ill

A great sadness has descended. The aperture control on my IRIX 15/2.4 Blackstone appears to have died today. As previously reported I was really happy with my copy of this lens. It's worked perfectly up until today, after purchasing it directly from Poland in November last. Now it only shoots wide open with the camera display showing F--. I've cleaned the contacts (lens and camera), swapped batteries and fitted it to my K5 - nothing worked. I tried other lenses on the K1 and it happily displays the F stop and closes down the aperture. The camera is fine, my IRIX is not . I'll be sending it back to Poland and will report back on this part of my IRIX adventure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sadness is lifting. I emailed the distributor in Poland who were happy to restore my lens under warranty. I then discovered it would cost about AU$100 to ship it to them from Australia. Another email from me resulted in redirection to Service IRIX in Korea. They in turn emailed me a DHL account number, so the lens will be collected from my home and shipped to Korea at IRIX's cost. Should get there within a week. Pretty good service I reckon .

Last edited by OzzRod; 06-07-2017 at 12:24 AM.
06-20-2017, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #138

Photos: Albums
This is the restaurant inside the tower of Christiansborg Palace, seat of the Danish Paliament. 15 mm is just about perfect for interiors, easily capturing all 4 walls from a corner. I had to hold the camera high above my head in an awkward posture, and I forgot to check the settings, so the shutter was open for half a second; the K-1 SR kept its cool and gave me a perfectly sharp image on the first attempt.

K-1 with Irix 15 @ f/5.6, 1/2 s, ISO 100
06-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #139

superb shot! Thanks for posting, getting me VERY interested in this IRIX lens!

Bill

06-29-2017, 02:44 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Just received my Firefly in the post today so have only had time to take some test shots. Have to say it stands up very well against the Nikkor 14-24.

One thing I noticed when putting on the lens hood that the white alignment mark on top of the hood does not line up with the centre of the lens, it sits just off to the right (from behind the camera POV). When I checked out the shots I took I noticed that there was some strange dark vignetting in the right had top corner. It looks like the lens has just caught the edge of the hood in the shot, which of course shouldn't happen. Anyone else experienced this?

PS I carefully examined the hood and noticed several small plastic protrusions, probably from the mould and after removing them with a blade the hood clicked into place. Poor quality control but all good in the end. I have notified Irix.

Last edited by ozlizard; 06-29-2017 at 06:18 AM.
07-01-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
A great sadness has descended. The aperture control on my IRIX 15/2.4 Blackstone appears to have died today. As previously reported I was really happy with my copy of this lens. It's worked perfectly up until today, after purchasing it directly from Poland in November last. Now it only shoots wide open with the camera display showing F--. I've cleaned the contacts (lens and camera), swapped batteries and fitted it to my K5 - nothing worked. I tried other lenses on the K1 and it happily displays the F stop and closes down the aperture. The camera is fine, my IRIX is not . I'll be sending it back to Poland and will report back on this part of my IRIX adventure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sadness is lifting. I emailed the distributor in Poland who were happy to restore my lens under warranty. I then discovered it would cost about AU$100 to ship it to them from Australia. Another email from me resulted in redirection to Service IRIX in Korea. They in turn emailed me a DHL account number, so the lens will be collected from my home and shipped to Korea at IRIX's cost. Should get there within a week. Pretty good service I reckon .
The lens gods smile again!

Got my IRIX 15mm Blackstone back from IRIX Service in Korea this morning . It works just as it should .

There was a bad pin contact internal to the mount, which was repaired free of charge. IRIX paid for Air Express Courier (DHL) service both ways, acknowledged receipt of the lens from me, told me what the fault was, and advised its dispatch back to me. Just over 3 weeks for the whole process including a 2 day hold-up by Australian Customs who appear not to have read the accompanying invoice properly.

I can only compliment IRIX on their service (and DHL for nifty resolution of the Customs glitch).
07-04-2017, 12:36 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Second time out with the Irix 15mm. Light was not the best (mid afternoon) so resorted to black and white. Amazing that with the f2.4 you can achieve out of focus backgrounds. Loving this lens.

07-06-2017, 09:10 AM - 3 Likes   #143

Photos: Albums

K-1 with Irix 15 @ f/4, 120 s, ISO 100
07-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #144

? re: filters and IRIX 15mm

Who can advise whether filters (and holder) such as the Lee 100 x 150 size can be used with the 15mm IRIX lens?

Thanks/Bill
07-08-2017, 05:35 AM - 5 Likes   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like IRIX sunbursts

K1 with 15mm f2.4 Blackstone.
07-09-2017, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

Some random shots with Irix 15 firefly

08-07-2017, 02:54 PM - 4 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

The Lone Tree, Arizona
K-1. Irix 15mm F2.4

Last edited by Patriot; 08-08-2017 at 01:53 AM.
08-10-2017, 11:24 AM - 7 Likes   #148
Pentaxian

Eye Of The Rhino
White Pocket at Moonrise, Arizona.
Irix 15mm F2.4

Last edited by Patriot; 08-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
08-10-2017, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
The lens gods smile again!

Got my IRIX 15mm Blackstone back from IRIX Service in Korea this morning . It works just as it should .

There was a bad pin contact internal to the mount, which was repaired free of charge. IRIX paid for Air Express Courier (DHL) service both ways, acknowledged receipt of the lens from me, told me what the fault was, and advised its dispatch back to me. Just over 3 weeks for the whole process including a 2 day hold-up by Australian Customs who appear not to have read the accompanying invoice properly.

I can only compliment IRIX on their service (and DHL for nifty resolution of the Customs glitch).
Congratulations! That's good to know they stand by their products.
08-19-2017, 06:44 AM - 4 Likes   #150
Pentaxian

The Lone Tree, (vertical version)
White Pocket at early morning , Arizona
K-1, Irix 15mm F2.4