Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 08:19 PM - 5 Likes   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More time with the lens today as I was walking the HighLine in NYC. Weather was perfect and I tried ti get used of the manual focus, Hyperfocal and general handling of the lens.
Pretty soon in my walk, I had a smudge in the lens, snow or water, that are a PITA to remove from camera shots, but despite this I am very happy with the lens so far.

My factory infinity is not correclty set, Im sure now, so Im still looking for a video to show me how to do adjust my infinity myself.
The Irix 15mm seems like a great lens, Ill wait a little bit to have more practice and then Ill write a review.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-27-2018, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #212
Veteran Member

This lens has been a real pleasure to use so far.
The manual focusing is not an issue with this wide angle, I mostly use the Hyperfocal when there is a foreground up close like the first pics below.

Handheld panorama for the second image, in portrait mode that gives a lot of leeway to crop !

Im gonna sell my FA 20-35mm I guess.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-07-2018, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #213
Veteran Member

I've been trying different things with this lens and so far it's been a revelation to me.

As I already said, the build quality is great, I own the Firefly version which is supposed to be the cheapest version so I cannot imagine how great the Blackstone is
Handling is nice and easy, feels really balanced with the K1 with and Without grip.

As far as I can tell my copy is pretty good, no decentering and incredibly sharp. Sweet spot seems to be /f8-/f10 but this lens is already sharp at /f5.
You can even use it wide open, image and bokeh are great.
Vignetting is corrected with Irix Lens Profile available on their website.
Sunburst are really nice, not on par with Pentax 15mm (SMC version), but it should be fun to play with.

The minus points are :

Some nasty reflections when shooting on the direction of the sun, you get an halo if you shoot straight at it, but the worst is if you shoot at a special angle, then you will get some ugly reflections in the opposite direction, looking like a blob of sun reflections in fact.

I've received the IRIX ND1000 filter and I had some time to play with it, so far so good. this is a must have for landscapes but comes at a cost!

Here is a bunch of pics taken in various situation, weather etc. you will see some of the reflection issue I mentioned.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-07-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I've been trying different things with this lens and so far it's been a revelation to me.

As I already said, the build quality is great, I own the Firefly version which is supposed to be the cheapest version so I cannot imagine how great the Blackstone is
Handling is nice and easy, feels really balanced with the K1 with and Without grip.

As far as I can tell my copy is pretty good, no decentering and incredibly sharp. Sweet spot seems to be /f8-/f10 but this lens is already sharp at /f5.
Sunburst are really nice, not on par with Pentax 15mm (SMC version), but it should be fun to play with.

The minus points are :

Some nasty reflections when shooting on the direction of the sun, you get an halo if you shoot straight at it, but the worst is if you shoot at a special angle, then you will get some ugly reflections in the opposite direction, looking like a blob of sun reflections in fact.

I've received the IRIX ND1000 filter and I had some time to play with it, so far so good. this is a must have for landscapes but comes at a cost!

Here is a bunch of pics taken in various situation, weather etc. you will see some of the reflection issue I mentioned.
Good job with the Irix 15mm. Lovely images! So far I've only had one image where the sun was in the field with noticeable artifacts in the opposite corner. I can live with that. Small compromise given all the great attributes of this lens. ;-) I think I'm going to get the gelatin ND filters that insert in the back of the lens, they're only $11 at Amazon. ;-)

---------- Post added 04-07-18 at 06:32 PM ----------

More time with the lens today as I was walking the HighLine in NYC. Weather was perfect and I tried ti get used of the manual focus, Hyperfocal and general handling of the lens.
Pretty soon in my walk, I had a smudge in the lens, snow or water, that are a PITA to remove from camera shots, but despite this I am very happy with the lens so far.

My factory infinity is not correclty set, Im sure now, so Im still looking for a video to show me how to do adjust my infinity myself.
The Irix 15mm seems like a great lens, Ill wait a little bit to have more practice and then Ill write a review.
I haven't had a chance to check infinity against a star field. I also have not been able to locate a video of how the adjustment is made. Reading the instructions from Irix it appears there is a chance of losing the adjustment lock screw inside the lens so they recommend a magnetized screwdriver. I guess my approach would be to preset the focus to the infinity detent then with Live View on point the camera at the stars with the LCD display zoomed all the way in. Then loosen the infinity adjustment lock screw and adjust the lever for pin point star images in center of field. Then tighten the adjustment lock screw. In practicality I think you could set infinity on this lens to something 1000' away - maybe less. ;-)

04-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Good job with the Irix 15mm. Lovely images! So far I've only had one image where the sun was in the field with noticeable artifacts in the opposite corner. I can live with that. Small compromise given all the great attributes of this lens. ;-) I think I'm going to get the gelatin ND filters that insert in the back of the lens, they're only $11 at Amazon. ;-)

---------- Post added 04-07-18 at 06:32 PM ----------

I haven't had a chance to check infinity against a star field. I also have not been able to locate a video of how the adjustment is made. Reading the instructions from Irix it appears there is a chance of losing the adjustment lock screw inside the lens so they recommend a magnetized screwdriver. I guess my approach would be to preset the focus to the infinity detent then with Live View on point the camera at the stars with the LCD display zoomed all the way in. Then loosen the infinity adjustment lock screw and adjust the lever for pin point star images in center of field. Then tighten the adjustment lock screw. In practicality I think you could set infinity on this lens to something 1000' away - maybe less. ;-)
I agree it's kinda sad there is not video about fixing the infinity on this lens. Im very bad at fixing things like that, I'd prefer to see to tutorial first
Im planning on doing nightscape photography around may6th and I'm very happy to try this Irix then.
At first I thought my infinity lock was out, but after trying different shots I think it's correct, how would you test Infinity focus btw ?
04-08-2018, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #216
Veteran Member

I agree it's kinda sad there is not video about fixing the infinity on this lens. Im very bad at fixing things like that, I'd prefer to see to tutorial first
Im planning on doing nightscape photography around may6th and I'm very happy to try this Irix then.
At first I thought my infinity lock was out, but after trying different shots I think it's correct, how would you test Infinity focus btw ?
In practical terms I think you can set the focus ring at the infinity click stop then check the focus of some distant high contrast object with the live view screen with full magnification. Here are some numbers for the 15mm lens ...

Assuming a Circle of Confusion of 0.02mm

At F/2.4 the hyperfocal distance is 15.6 feet :: Objects from 7.79 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

At f/4.0 the hyperfocal distance is 9.2 feet :: Objects from 4.64 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

At f/5.6 the hyperfocal distance is 6.57 feet :: Objects from 3.29 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

At f/8.0 the hyperfocal distance is 4.66 feet :: Objects from 2.33 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

At f/11.0 the hyperfocal distance is 3.32 feet :: Objects from 1.66 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

At f/16.0 the hyperfocal distance is 2.36 feet :: Objects from 1.18 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus

If you assume a different circle of confusion you need to recalculate the numbers. You can do it here ...

DOFMaster

Cheers,
Rick

---------- Post added 04-08-18 at 08:37 AM ----------

In the IRIX 15mm User Manual they say ...

To calibrate the focus ring:

1. Remove the calibration window cover by unscrewing the T6 Torx screw and sliding the cover outward.

2. Set the focusing ring at the infinity position and rotate the focus lock ring to the locked position. The internal calibration ring and flat head locking screw should be visible.

3. Using a flat head screwdriver, loosen the screw on the calibration ring. Be careful not to allow the screws to fall into the lens housing. A screwdriver with a magnetic tip is recommended.

4. Using your camera’s Live View and LCD zoom, rotate the calibration ring to focus carefully on a distant subject (farther away than 50m/164ft).

5. Lock the calibration ring by re-tightening the screw and replace the calibration window cover.
04-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #217

Very nice images, thanks for posting! I've had this same lens for a few months and have yet to really do much exploring with it, I'm getting motivated when I see pics like these, too bad no nice city scenery like you've captured anywhere close to me, ugh!

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 07:46 PM ----------

The minus points are :

Thanks for posting, nice images! This is getting me motivated to take out my IRIX and do some experimenting....darn thing is in the bag and hardly used in past few months of ownership.
Bill

Last edited by wgosma; 04-09-2018 at 07:46 PM.
04-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Pentax Irix lens club - Show us your photos...

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Very nice images, thanks for posting! I've had this same lens for a few months and have yet to really do much exploring with it, I'm getting motivated when I see pics like these, too bad no nice city scenery like you've captured anywhere close to me, ugh!

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 07:46 PM ----------

Thanks for posting, nice images! This is getting me motivated to take out my IRIX and do some experimenting....darn thing is in the bag and hardly used in past few months of ownership.

Bill

Bill, give us a favor and screw this lens on your camera body .
But beware...it's difficult to remove it from said body once set

Have fun mate, it's a very interesting FL to use on a K1 of you ask me.

Last edited by DimC; 04-09-2018 at 11:06 PM.
04-21-2018, 04:30 PM - 8 Likes   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An old landmark just beyond the 3 mile take out on the Bighorn River. I always thought it'd be a neat foreground for a milky way shot.
K1 and Irix 15 mm set at the infinity notch. About six stacked photos with Sequator, some light painting of the structure. Still getting slight trails at 25 seconds, ISO 3200

04-23-2018, 05:39 AM - 5 Likes   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
An old landmark just beyond the 3 mile take out on the Bighorn River. I always thought it'd be a neat foreground for a milky way shot.
K1 and Irix 15 mm set at the infinity notch. About six stacked photos with Sequator, some light painting of the structure. Still getting slight trails at 25 seconds, ISO 3200
Looks like a great MW lens as well, super image Riseform.

I've been playing around with the flare effect this lens gives when shooting straight at the sun.

This is a good example of some nice flare, really obtrusive . but yet produce some nice effect on the image.

Some other try-outs :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-23-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #221
Forum Member

I've been playing around with the flare effect this lens gives when shooting straight at the sun.
Nice idea - using flares as a feature is really outstanding
04-24-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #222
Veteran Member

Looks like a great MW lens as well, super image Riseform.

This is a good example of some nice flare, really obtrusive . but yet produce some nice effect on the image.

Some other try-outs :
Love it! Very creative!
05-15-2018, 09:05 AM - 4 Likes   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pardon the cross post from "Post your K1 pictures" but I though this thread needed some more love.
Still grateful to Weevil for pointing out the Blackstone sale back in November.
Mother's Day 2 am milky way shots in Cle Elum, Washington. Five 25 second shots stacked in Sequator with light painting of foreground in each.
Stars still trail slightly at 25 seconds (and even 20). Light pollution is from Ellensburg WA, about 30 miles away.

05-15-2018, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Pardon the cross post from "Post your K1 pictures" but I though this thread needed some more love.
Still grateful to Weevil for pointing out the Blackstone sale back in November.
Mother's Day 2 am milky way shots in Cle Elum, Washington. Five 25 second shots stacked in Sequator with light painting of foreground in each.
Stars still trail slightly at 25 seconds (and even 20). Light pollution is from Ellensburg WA, about 30 miles away.

Nice pictures mate !

I still havent had the chance to try the MW, I only had some Stars night under moonlight.
I've tried different exposure for foreground and the sky, and also I tried the astro tracer for longer shots (about 40 seconds to 2 mins) but results were inconsistent.

On the following image it's a composite of 2 shots, foreground is /f8 and 5 mins and stars is /f2.8 and 20 sec.
I forgot to raise ISO, so here Im at ISO100.

Exposure blended with ON1 photo 2018.

Some more IRIX 15mm pictures :

05-15-2018, 02:06 PM - 4 Likes   #225
Veteran Member

I just received the IRIX Polarizer for 95mm lens.

I think it's pretty good, it's my first time using a polarizer though, so I need to experiment a little more.
I find it cumbersome to use with the lens hood on, despite the sliding door available.

There is some vignetting when used with the IRIX 95mm ND1000 filter if you attach the Polarizer first then the ND filter on top of it (I haven't tried the other way around yet but I dont think it makes sense right ?).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo