Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1043 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Irix lens club - Show us your photos...

Now that the new Irix Lens has started shipping their first lens in K-mount*, we can't wait to see your photos... so this would be the place to share them!

* 2016.11.04: Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly or Blackstone versions available in Pentax K-Mount
Available at their online store : https://storeeu.irixlens.com/

Last edited by Weevil; 11-08-2016 at 08:36 PM.
11-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm interested to hear comparisons with the Samyang Rokinon and Bower 14 2.8's. I'm following.
11-09-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

But will they be selling in markets other than Europe?
11-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been reading rumours that its another Samyang brand to compete with itself. Interesting if its true.

11-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I've been reading rumours that its another Samyang brand to compete with itself. Interesting if its true.
That question has been raised in another thread, the the answer seems to be emphatically NO. The Irix 15mm is totally independent of Samyang et al, and a different optical formula from any Samyang such as the 14mm.
11-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That question has been raised in another thread, the the answer seems to be emphatically NO. The Irix 15mm is totally independent of Samyang et al, and a different optical formula from any Samyang such as the 14mm.
Ah thats good news. I've never tried a Samyang, but virtual competition doesn't seem as good as the real thing. Not to mention QC issues being shared.
11-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Irix -

weather sealed? cool!

11-10-2016, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks @weevil for creating this thread.
As mentioned in the thread here, I have collected the lens.

Some initial shots with the Irix 15mm F2.4 Firefly

Testing when collecting - going close.

Using composition adjustment and i noticed that it can't be composited over +22, i think. The hood will cover the top area.

Reduced to composition but did not realise the side is still affected.

Last two images are in full size, just click in to see. Minor PP adjustment from raw file.

Hope more pentax user will join me soon!
11-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The first shot looks OK for bokeh. The last shot looks a bit stretched to me on the sides; the truck at extreme left looks a bit distorted.

Did you find it easy to manually focus on the K-1?
11-11-2016, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Critical question, for me, is the Irix significantly better than the Samyang/Rokinon/etc 14mm? Is it a mixed bag (i.e., better resolution but more fringing, or less distortion but more flare, or better flare and fringing control, but less edge resolution??). Before I pop for one or the other, it would be good to know what difference exist.
11-11-2016, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Critical question, for me, is the Irix significantly better than the Samyang/Rokinon/etc 14mm? Is it a mixed bag (i.e., better resolution but more fringing, or less distortion but more flare, or better flare and fringing control, but less edge resolution??). Before I pop for one or the other, it would be good to know what difference exist.
I thought this was answered pretty effectively by Lenstip. There are plenty of direct comparisons with the Samyang. Pluses and minuses, but from my viewpoint the Irix came out ahead (not everyone sees it that way -- depends on priorities). Flare is shocking though.

Pros:
Solid, sealed casing with an interesting design,
Sensational image quality in the frame centre,
Good image quality on the edge of the APS-C sensor,
Imperceptible longitudinal chromatic aberration,
Low lateral chromatic aberration,
Lack of distinct problems with spherical aberration,
Noticeably lower distortion than that of its direct rivals,
Very low astigmatism,
Sensible blurry areas for this angle of view,
Very rich accessory kit.

Cons:
Monstrous vignetting on full frame,
Weak performance against bright light.
11-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I thought this was answered pretty effectively by Lenstip. There are plenty of direct comparisons with the Samyang. Pluses and minuses, but from my viewpoint the Irix came out ahead (not everyone sees it that way -- depends on priorities). Flare is shocking though.

Pros:
Solid, sealed casing with an interesting design,
Sensational image quality in the frame centre,
Good image quality on the edge of the APS-C sensor,
Imperceptible longitudinal chromatic aberration,
Low lateral chromatic aberration,
Lack of distinct problems with spherical aberration,
Noticeably lower distortion than that of its direct rivals,
Very low astigmatism,
Sensible blurry areas for this angle of view,
Very rich accessory kit.

Cons:
Monstrous vignetting on full frame,
Weak performance against bright light.
Sounds like the Irix is worth waiting for, and paying for. The vignetting on FF is a little disappointing, as this is and should be a FF lens (not attractive if it is not), but vignetting is probably the easiest defect to correct nearly to the vanishing point in PP. And, after all, during the B&W film era, vignetting was commonly added in the darkroom to help frame or emphasize the central subject. It is probably most noticeable and annoying when there is a large expanse of clear blue sky.
11-12-2016, 02:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The first shot looks OK for bokeh. The last shot looks a bit stretched to me on the sides; the truck at extreme left looks a bit distorted.

Did you find it easy to manually focus on the K-1?
At infinity, it's always on focus, but if you choose to take close up and @F2.4, it is hard with the OVF for me. It seem a hit and miss for me especially i took the K1 AF focus indication.
I prefer to use live view on it..

I'm not sure on it. I have the Samyang 14mm for a short while and did not really use much before i sold it off.
The distortion on the Samyang 14mm seem worse base on my short use.

@paul the sunman is right, the lenstip review seem very accurate. I felt the lens build is far better than the Samyang and felt the lens perform quite good.
Wide open, Vignette can be seen.

some other shots..

---------- Post added 11-12-2016 at 05:30 PM ----------

Wide which is taken closer.

Wide open for the rest..

I have not real test on the flaring issue, but a friend whom also own the lens felt it will flare when you take it directly at bright light.
11-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

Hi everybody, my name is Jose, I am a new user of the forum who is looking for buying a Irix 15mm firefly, could anybody upload some photos of the body of the lens, especially of the mount, I would like to be sure that it will fit in my k5iis, and I would like to see it, because there is no information about our mount. Best regards everybody.
11-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmpince Quote
Hi everybody, my name is Jose, I am a new user of the forum who is looking for buying a Irix 15mm firefly, could anybody upload some photos of the body of the lens, especially of the mount, I would like to be sure that it will fit in my k5iis, and I would like to see it, because there is no information about our mount. Best regards everybody.
I did not took the mount of the lens. If you want to see how the lens look like and how it is on the k1. It can be seem from the above post, there's a link which will bring in to it.

Copy from above,
"As mentioned in the thread here, I have collected the lens."

Hope it helps. It will fit ur k5iis well.