Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m thinking it would be good for my flower pictures. I like using my Helios for those.

06-28-2018, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello to everybody, I saw wonderful images with the Lomography ... which I also have:

[/URL]
08-10-2018, 05:35 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lomo in the garden. Using the f/4.5 aperture plate on the lower left here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-15-2018, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first one here is with the f/11 circular aperture plate. The second one is wide open, no plate.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-22-2018, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is the time of year where this lens really shines. And I've rented a K-1 to give it the full frame treatment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-23-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Christmasy goodness.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-01-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just in case the Lomo Daguerreotype wasn't strange enough with the supplied aperture plates, I used our family's new 3D printer to make some different ones. It took a bit of fiddling to get the thickness and adhesion right, but I have functional Virginia Tech and Tottenham Hotspur logo plates.

With these asymmetrical plates it seems very difficult to get anything in focus.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #53

I've made one of these - Actually, more of a monster version of one of these; At 65mm f2, it's a bit beefier then the Lomo offering, but these are just Achromatic Doublets anyways. The one downside is the self built one lacks the aperture system, as I opted for a internal focus Macro capable design, using the two touch zoom sled off an old zoom lens. Not sure if you want pictures from/of my bootleg copy on here though. It's no-where near as corrected as the Lomo, has massive field curvature (On Purpose), and some things end up glowing like Neon - I also didn't black out the lens edges, so there's brilliant rainbow soap-bubble bokeh at certain points.

The real deal is slick as hell, and I still find myself wanting one as I look at the amazing photos this group puts out. Plus that build quality - It looks so nice.

As for Thor - If your aperture plate runs any solid bits over the very center, you loose most of your sharpness. On a simple design like this, which already is pretty soft, it gets quite noticeable. Double check your designs and try to get a good spot in the center of the lens clear, it should help a ton.
03-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had been looking for a Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 2.9/64 Art Lens for some time in K mount. I had inquired several times and was told that the K mount version "may not be produced again". Now that they are back I have ordered one. Anxious to see what it can do!
04-01-2019, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 2.9/64 Art Lens

Received my new lens a couple of weeks ago. Finally getting around to trying it out. Well built and appears to have creative possibilities! One of the first photos. F/4 plate up close.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-21-2019, 04:45 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trying out the Daguerreotype with pixel shift on the K-3ii. First is wide open. Second is with the circular f/8 plate. A few more here.

05-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #57
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Trying out the Daguerreotype with pixel shift on the K-3ii. First is wide open. Second is with the circular f/8 plate. A few more here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Do you see a difference with it "wide open" (I'm assuming you mean no plate inserted) and with the f2.9 plate inserted?
I haven't tested it, but I'm wondering if light will leak into there, bounce around, and maybe muck things up a bit.
(I really should give it a try)
05-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
Do you see a difference with it "wide open" (I'm assuming you mean no plate inserted) and with the f2.9 plate inserted?
I haven't tested it, but I'm wondering if light will leak into there, bounce around, and maybe muck things up a bit.
I've never compared no plate to the f/2.9 plate. In fact, I don't know that I've ever used the f/2.9 plate, when I say "wide open" I meant no plate at all. If I get a few minutes later this week I might do a comparison.
05-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #59

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
There is no light leaking more than with a plate. The plate hole is in front of the all lenses.
But wide open, the lens is very soft. I'd say, nicely soft. Someone else would say, terribly or uselessly soft. A matter of taste.
But I think it's perfect for dreamy soft portraits. If you like it and know how to use it.
I suggest using a live view in focusing.
11-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just took one of the circular aperture plates and taped a piece of aluminum foil over it. Then poked a small pinhole in the foil, basically making a f/64 or f/128 (?) aperture plate. Can anyone think of anything cool to do with this? It's kind of like a multi-stop neutral density filter with the added benefit of a lot of diffraction. And it's really hard to focus, I'd rather not take the plate in and out because the foil will come off.