Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat Club

I suggested to the mods that we start a lens club for the new Lomography Achromat Daguerrotype f/2.9 64mm lens. They said to just start something in the lens thread and they'll move it to the Lens Club Forum.

So let's see what kind of glowy, swirly, obscenely soft photos with wild bokeh we can come up with out of the reincarnation of Chevalier's and Daguerre's doublet.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Very nice -- I especially like the first shot. Is it possible to have an area of sharpness while keeping the cool effects?
12-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

woah.... that first one looks like a painting....

very interesting lens.
12-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
woah.... that first one looks like a painting....

very interesting lens.
Second that.

This lens club had to happen sometime. I'll see you guys (and gals, perhaps? Anyone?) sometime after Christmas morning.

12-01-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Very nice -- I especially like the first shot. Is it possible to have an area of sharpness while keeping the cool effects?
Yes, but it takes some combination of skill, luck, and placement of subject well in front of the point light sources.

Kind of did that here:

12-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So both of those first two photos were actually in focus?
12-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
So both of those first two photos were actually in focus?
The top one, more-or-less, but it's tricky to focus wide-open or nearly so. The second was intentionally out of focus.

12-02-2016, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I'm gonna try shooting through the bottom of a discarded Coke bottle to see if I could get those same effects. It would be a lot less expensive.

12-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

My examples of the lens! It was a rapidly darkening evening and I was very hurry to get photos. So they are just some very basic shots around showing some tolerable flare and softness in corners and sides. Taken with apertures f8, f5.6 and f4.8 art.

This lens is surely capable to produce beautiful photos. But it needs some learning and concentrating on what you do.

Daguerrotype | Flickr
12-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of interest, did the first image at the very top (with the fence line and the road) get any post-processing (apart from raw-jpg conversion)? Not so much interested in exposure up or down, but changes in colour, hue, sharpness, noise, etc.
12-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Out of interest, did the first image at the very top (with the fence line and the road) get any post-processing (apart from raw-jpg conversion)? Not so much interested in exposure up or down, but changes in colour, hue, sharpness, noise, etc.
I have always been interested in the colours this lens produces... I remember when the Kickstarter campaign was going on, I asked one of the photographers who took some photos with the lens that were later posted on Lomography website to share both processed and un-processed photos. There was no tremendous difference between the two... The colours were a bit more muted before processing, but it wasn't immediately obvious, which was processed, and which wasn't.
12-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was initially three bracketed exposures, some PP done on each, combined in Nik HDR tools. I'm sure I pushed saturation. I'd have to go back and look to see what else.

Edit: Went back and looked in Lightroom. +17 contrast, +20 clarity and saturation, +10 vibrance. Also played with exposure and highlight compensation on two of the exposures. No change to hue, tone curves, etc but did do a white balance tweak.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 12-03-2016 at 05:13 AM.
12-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Christmas effects with the Daguerreotype lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Colour snowman closeup is lovely - this is the sort of shot this lens was designed for.
12-10-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Colour snowman closeup is lovely - this is the sort of shot this lens was designed for.
Thank you.

Here's another, well, umm... Christmasy one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo