Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4263 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #1516
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

You should cross post this in the gearhead thread.

02-25-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #1517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I almost involuntarily left this club over the weekend.
I was shooting kids skiing for a local nonprofit on Saturday and I brought my K-5, Sigma flash, 18-135 WR, and Rokinon 8mm. I found I could carry all of this in my jacket with the camera and 18-135 mounted in the right chest pocket and the Rokinon, flash, and misc accessories in the left. I was pretty loaded down but it was still less bulky than skiing with a pack. I was skiing ahead, stopping, and shooting the skiers as they came by with the zoom and figured if they wanted to ski in the park I'd break out the Rokinon for some fun FE shots (which never ended up happening). At one point I was getting the flash out but they didn't wait as long as I was expecting so I just shot them without it and forgot to zip the pocket with the flash and 8mm back up before continuing on skiing. I found the open pocket a little later and zipped it up but it wasn't until the next run my heart sank as I realized I was missing my Rokinon 8mm from that pocket! I was about done shooting anyway so I sent the kids on their way and retraced my previous run after a very nervous lift ride. Amazingly I found my lens in amongst the bumps on one of the runs we did, no worse for wear, still in it's felt bag. What a relief! Even though it's one of my cheaper lenses I would have been really upset to have lost it!
So although I have no new photos to contribute today I'm at least still in the club. Whew!
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I was shooting kids skiing for a local nonprofit on Saturday and I brought my K-5, Sigma flash, 18-135 WR, and Rokinon 8mm. I found I could carry all of this in my jacket with the camera and 18-135 mounted in the right chest pocket and the Rokinon, flash, and misc accessories in the left. I was pretty loaded down but it was still less bulky than skiing with a pack. I was skiing ahead, stopping, and shooting the skiers as they came by with the zoom and figured if they wanted to ski in the park I'd break out the Rokinon for some fun FE shots (which never ended up happening). At one point I was getting the flash out but they didn't wait as long as I was expecting so I just shot them without it and forgot to zip the pocket with the flash and 8mm back up before continuing on skiing. I found the open pocket a little later and zipped it up but it wasn't until the next run my heart sank as I realized I was missing my Rokinon 8mm from that pocket! I was about done shooting anyway so I sent the kids on their way and retraced my previous run after a very nervous lift ride. Amazingly I found my lens in amongst the bumps on one of the runs we did, no worse for wear, still in it's felt bag. What a relief! Even though it's one of my cheaper lenses I would have been really upset to have lost it!
So although I have no new photos to contribute today I'm at least still in the club. Whew!
Wow that was lucky! Glad to hear you will still be able to contribute
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #1519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote

I don't like that sinking feeling...glad it worked out. You should have bought a lottery ticket that day with luck like that!

02-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #1520

nice to return to this distorted lensclub from time to time. What I liked the most in the recent uploads: the lingering leaves of jmschrei (they must have touched the lens...). the beautiful curves of the S. Diego flagpoles from Sage97, and the short thriller story from mattb123 with happy ending....

I took my fisheye zoom out on World Pentax Day, and now I know for sure: this lens rocks :-)

Taken at a " living room music festival" in Nieuwegein, the Netherlands, from the blues rock band " Five Point Six". I played with the color settings, to enhance the mood, not quite sure if I got it right..And I flashed, and zoomed out while taking the picture to try to make the picture match the sound.

02-25-2013, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #1521
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Just received the 03 fisheye for my Q. This lens is a lot of fun!

02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1522
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beeldmark Quote
....the beautiful curves of the S. Diego flagpoles from Sage97, and the short thriller story from mattb123 with happy ending....
Thank you beeldmark. I really like your jamming pic. Your zooming technique really does capture that sound. I'll have to try it sometime.

Here's one I took earlier today. I think accidentally changed the settings because the EXIF says 35mm. Oh well.

02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #1523
Pentaxian

Some from WPD.

02-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #1524
Veteran Member

Here some from WPD I took while out with the Socal group..

This got defished...
02-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #1525
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You should cross post this in the gearhead thread
I did a stand alone post here July last year with a version of the image and put a link to the Gearheads thread here, and so this is the cross post already.
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #1526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SoCal WPD

02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #1527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
SoCal WPD
Excellent...I love IR images. What filter did you get on that conversion?
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #1528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Excellent...I love IR images. What filter did you get on that conversion?
Thank you.

If I recall correctly it was 720nm. Of course the AA goes away. It cost me ~$250 to convert my K10D. Now the service I used charges $200!
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #1529
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you.

If I recall correctly it was 720nm. Of course the AA goes away. It cost me ~$250 to convert my K10D. Now the service I used charges $200!
Very interesting. My local shop charges $250, and will not work on Pentax though I have a 10 or 20D that could be sacrificed to the cause. They say Pentax is too hard to work on, and ask me to buy a used Nikon 60 or 90 for the purpose. I am reluctant to do that, and then have to buy special lens just for IR in the converted Nikon.
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1530
Pentaxian

Thank you.

$200 is very good...seems the average going rate is $250. Which service would that be and what was the turn around time?