Pentaxian

A couple of interior shots with the DA 10-17

03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #2567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
A couple of interior shots with the DA 10-17

Residenz, Munich, been there, photographed at least the Roman emperors hall. The continental aristocracy really knew how to do a ceiling.
04-01-2016, 10:34 AM - 4 Likes   #2568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Residenz, Munich, been there, photographed at least the Roman emperors hall. The continental aristocracy really knew how to do a ceiling.

Yes, that's the place, some halls were really pretty impressive in size.

This is the Olympic stadium built in '72, with (not so) Fishy eyes as always

04-01-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2569
Veteran Member

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

04-02-2016, 04:01 AM   #2570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Yes, that's the place, some halls were really pretty impressive in size.

This is the Olympic stadium built in '72, with (not so) Fishy eyes as always
M and I were in Munich some weeks before the start of the '72 Olympics, traveling for research purposes, visiting museums. Did not see that stadium, but did get sight of and a picture* of the Olympic spire that was erected from one of the towers of the Frauenkirche. Think I scanned that chrome and posted some long time back. We moved on the Graz and Vienna well before the Olympics started.

*Pentax Spotmatic (1st version) with 50mm f1.4 Takumar.
04-08-2016, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #2571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bower 8mm. As much distortion removed as LR would allow.
Attached Images

04-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #2572
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My first attempts at shooting the night sky, with the Rokinon 8mm fisheye on the K-3ii.
Yikes! Someone shrunk Orion!

Steve

04-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #2573
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Jaguar. Sorry if I already posted another image similar to this one.
My dad had one of these (Jag XK 120). Seeing your photo brought a grin to my face. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
04-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #2574
Veteran Member

Bower 8mm. As much distortion removed as LR would allow.

You mean keeping the tree entirely in the picture or there any hard limit?
04-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #2575
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You mean keeping the tree entirely in the picture or there any hard limit?
When the LR "distortion" slider is moved off center, it causes either barrel or pincushion distortion. To eliminate FE distortion, of course you move it to cause pincushion. When you crop to eliminate the lost areas, it is entirely the corners. The center left-right and center top-bottom of the image are preserved.Maybe I can post three images to demonstrate.

Below:
1) the first image has no distortion removed, but I've opened the shadows some and tweaked the colors to my taste;
2) the second image is the maximum pincushion distortion that the LR slider can apply
3) the third image is a crop of the second.

Differences are subtle. A telephone pole at left still leans, but it isn't as curved as in the original. More iteresting a valuable, the beautiful tree at left is now wider than in the original. The corners that have been lost do not contain visual information that contributes significantly to the image.
Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-10-2016 at 04:47 PM.
04-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #2576
Veteran Member

When the LR "distortion" slider is moved off center, it causes either barrel or pincushion distortion. To eliminate FE distortion, of course you move it to cause pincushion. When you crop to eliminate the lost areas, it is entirely the corners. The center left-right and center top-bottom of the image are preserved.Maybe I can post three images to demonstrate.
I ask because by default when I look at my 10-17 pictures, even at 10mm in DxO, they look perfectly rectilinear as DxO apply a lens profile to it automatically and it tend to change a bit the aspect ratio. Honestly, not much is lost except the corners.

I can use a slider to check how much correction I want from perfectly fish to perfectly linear. If a lens has no profile, I can correct manually barrel or pincushion, but it doesn't work that well if I try with the 10-17. I have to choose the "fisheye mode" and then it become easy, even manually.

Of course as I am not necessarily interrested, I tend to disable the correction, and I try to have the right level of fish directly from setting the right focal length with the 10-17.
04-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #2577
Veteran Member

I does something like that to your last image... But it may not look better if your go 100% defished...

And if I combine with "volume" sliders I can get the second one.

But then I don't think the picture would have this place in this thead and your version look more pleasing than fully correcting the picture.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.
04-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #2578
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Below:
1) the first image has no distortion removed, but I've opened the shadows some and tweaked the colors to my taste;
2) the second image is the maximum pincushion distortion that the LR slider can apply
3) the third image is a crop of the second.

Differences are subtle. A telephone pole at left still leans, but it isn't as curved as in the original. More iteresting a valuable, the beautiful tree at left is now wider than in the original. The corners that have been lost do not contain visual information that contributes significantly to the image.
I generally don't use Lightroom for defishing (if/when it makes sense to do so). The "distortion" is not classic barrel and the sliders often provide a less than satisfying result. I prefer PTLens for the task since it has algorithms specific to setting a fisheye image straight.

Steve
04-11-2016, 02:28 AM - 5 Likes   #2579
Veteran Member

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
04-14-2016, 02:51 PM - 5 Likes   #2580
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 10-17 at 10mm, just mildly cropped, no distortion correction applied, processed with Nik Silver Efex for drama. This is such a fun little lens!

Last edited by Ikarus; 04-14-2016 at 02:57 PM.