Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4263 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #3076
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerebron Quote
APS-C Pentax K-3 with DA 16-85 @ 53mm, obviously.
Sorry for my confusion. I intended to inquire about the camera and lens used by Jack002 to produce the circular fisheye photos, and not to your photographic postings. Perhaps my Quick Reply became attached to your posting instead of being attached to Jack002 posting. If so I sincerely apologize.

08-09-2018, 02:15 AM - 3 Likes   #3077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I love the near-macro ability of the DA 10-17mm

I've seen pictures on the macro threads that are not as close in as the 10-17 can manage:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-10-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #3078
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rocks

...at or very near closest focus.
K-1mII Silver, K17/4 Fisheye
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pentax K-1 Mark II Limited Silver  Photo 
08-10-2018, 12:20 PM - 4 Likes   #3079
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Defish vs. Tilt Shift Effect

When faced with a very tall subject to photograph from ground level , I would normally use a rectilinear wide angle (typically my 16-85 @ 16mm) and apply the necessary tilt shift corrections to correct any elevation I had needed to get the whole shot in frame.

I seem to have stumbled on another way. The 10-17 picture below has been defished by applying the correction profile in Camera Raw. I'm sure it's not a new process, so does anyone else have any good examples to "flaunt"?

This mural, on the side of the Glasgow Old Fruit Market, is the size of a house:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #3080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
How to get a fish-eye image when the fish-eye lens has been left at home.
Great mirror-lens !!
08-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #3081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BTW in case you do not know, the elongate structures on the pelvic fins are called "claspers" and they are used by male chondrichthyes for sperm transfer during reproduction.
And why have they evolved the sawtoothed nose? Do they actually use it for something?
08-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #3082
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Sorry for my confusion. I intended to inquire about the camera and lens used by Jack002 to produce the circular fisheye photos, and not to your photographic postings. Perhaps my Quick Reply became attached to your posting instead of being attached to Jack002 posting. If so I sincerely apologize.
It's all good Ivan.

Quick reply doesn't attach a post to any other. It only places a post in the discussion, and sometimes it gets beat out by someone else's post.

If you use the quote button it will attach your comment where you wish it to be.

08-12-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #3083
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And why have they evolved the sawtoothed nose? Do they actually use it for something?
The theory has always been that they swim into a dense school of little fish, wag their heads side-to-side, wounding and crippling many fish, then eat them a leisure, but I think recent actual observation/research (rather than theory) has thrown considerable doubt on that interpretation of the saw's function.

ADDENDUM after some quick research

1) sawfish do sometimes wound a single prey fish with the saw, but they have apparently never been observed thrashing within a dense school of small fish.
2) sometimes a sawfish will pin prey to the bottom with the elongate rostrum before eating it, but the "teeth" on the rostrum are not used in this case.
30 The saw may be used in combat with another sawfish, or to defend against other more aggressive sharks that may actually try to eat a sawfish.

THE CURRENT MOST POPULAR INTERPRETATION OF THE SAW. The enlarged scales on the sides of the saw are not really what's important, it is simply the length of the rostrum that counts. All sharks have on their head & rostrum special receptor devices (complex to describe fully) called ampullae of Lorenzini that are electrical detectors. An electrical field is generated and detected by these devices. A fish within this field will distort it, because the electrical conductivity of a fish's body is different than that of seawater. The ampullae register the distortion which allows a shark to know that potential prey has entered the field and approximately where it is, a close enough location to guide an attack. With the ampulae of Lorenzini a shark can detect nearby prey in total darkness, in water too cloudy for vision, and sometimes below the surface of a sandy bottom (demonstrated by experiments). It is likely that the elongate rostrum of sawfish extends the ampullae of Lorenzini system, making it much larger than in typical sharks. The saw is covered end-to-end with the tiny pores of this ampullae system.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.
08-30-2018, 07:58 AM - 5 Likes   #3084
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rokinon 8mm. Three exposure HDR.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #3085
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Wonderfull composition !!
08-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #3086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Which building is this?
08-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #3087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Which building is this?
The Antigua building in Ocean City, Maryland. I believe it was modeled on a similar structure in Japan.
08-31-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3088
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
08-31-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #3089
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ferris Wheel, Glasgow Festival
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-31-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #3090