Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #3586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I do not think it is available for K-mount. You used a Sony 6400.

12-31-2019, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3587
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax MX, SMC Pentax "K" 17mm, Kodak BW400CN film.

fishy resistance (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

fishy resistance (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

fisheye GPR par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
12-31-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #3588
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Pentax MX, SMC Pentax "K" 17mm, Kodak BW400CN film.

fishy resistance (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

fishy resistance (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

fisheye GPR par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Hi Kris

Happy New Year

What a cool camera gear transport buggy..

Dave
01-01-2020, 04:03 AM   #3589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If you want full circular images, I think the next cheapest option is the Lensbaby 5.8mm f/3.5

01-01-2020, 05:52 PM - 4 Likes   #3590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
What a cool camera gear transport buggy. Dave
I think that's a ground penetrating radar machine.

A close interior, classic situation for a fish-eye.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
01-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #3591
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I think that's a ground penetrating radar machine.

A close interior, classic situation for a fish-eye.
Hi Walt

I know what it is but it could double up as a camera gear buggy too.......

Dave
01-02-2020, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #3592
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I had done before, I thought it would be interesting to see what defishing would do--using fisheye-hemi software and the lens correction filter in photoshop.

Of course it does not have the impact that the marvelous FE image of grand central station has, but for situations where a straight wide angle picture is required, a fisheye can actually give a less distorted ** (and wider) image than a rectilinear lens.

_____
** I should have said less "distorted feeling (or looking)" than a rectilinear lens. Most noticeable is that the wide angle lens causes circles at the periphery to be oval, which is not a distortion (it is optically correct), but feels (looks) like a distortion.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6400  Photo 

Last edited by dms; 01-02-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Clarify "less distorted" w/ footnote.
01-02-2020, 05:18 AM   #3593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
As I had done before, I thought it would be interesting to see what defishing would do--using fisheye-hemi software and the lens correction filter in photoshop.

Of course it does not have the impact that the marvelous FE image of grand central station has, but for situations where a straight wide angle picture is required, a fisheye can actually give a less distorted ** (and wider) image than a rectilinear lens.

_____
** I should have said less "distorted feeling (or looking)" than a rectilinear lens. Most noticeable is that the wide angle lens causes circles at the periphery to be oval, which is not a distortion (it is optically correct), but feels (looks) like a distortion.

This is not a criticism of your image of Grand Central, as it is a wonderful image, just a note about an alternative treatment of the same subject. Way back when, the 1960's, I saw a dramatic image taken from that same spot of Grand Central taken with a large-format camera, so nothing like as wide as your image, but there wasn't a single person to be seen, just the architecture. The photographer had used a slow B&W film, a small aperture, and a very long exposure, several minutes. The people were all moving and never paused long enough to record on the film. And no, there was no sign of blurring.
01-02-2020, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #3594
Pentaxian

da 10-17, 11mm square crop

01-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #3595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That's true. It is available only for mirror-less.

---------- Post added 01-02-20 at 06:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
If you want full circular images, I think the next cheapest option is the Lensbaby 5.8mm f/3.5
I tried it for a bit in the store but I wasn't impressed by its sharpness and build quality, specially compared to the Meike.

---------- Post added 01-02-20 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote

_____
I understand what you are saying, and it is an interesting to look at the result.
By the way, you can look at my instagram feed (@mbaez.photo) for the ultrawide version of the same shot.

---------- Post added 01-02-20 at 07:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This is not a criticism of your image of Grand Central, as it is a wonderful image, just a note about an alternative treatment of the same subject. Way back when, the 1960's, I saw a dramatic image taken from that same spot of Grand Central taken with a large-format camera, so nothing like as wide as your image, but there wasn't a single person to be seen, just the architecture. The photographer had used a slow B&W film, a small aperture, and a very long exposure, several minutes. The people were all moving and never paused long enough to record on the film. And no, there was no sign of blurring.
I think you are talking to me , so thanks for your comment.
I would love to do something like that, and will try this year. But I'm pretty there is much more foot traffic today than 60 years ago. Maybe at midnight?
I'll post it in the forum when it's done. Thanks again!
01-02-2020, 04:26 PM - 5 Likes   #3596
Pentaxian

Patrick's Point, with the F 17-28:

01-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #3597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Patrick's Point, with the F 17-28:
Love your capture and pp skills.
01-03-2020, 01:13 PM - 9 Likes   #3598
Pentaxian

Couple of shots at 10mm with 10-17 Fisheye
01-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #3599
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@simon_199 Those look really good! Did you defish at all? Really like the perspective with that pier.
01-04-2020, 01:30 AM - 7 Likes   #3600
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
@simon_199 Those look really good! Did you defish at all? Really like the perspective with that pier.
Thanks. No defishing applied, i was probably crouching or leaning in some awkward position in order to get that composition with a straight horizon.

I love the flexibility of the 10-17 in tuning how much distortion one wants in the picture. Even at 10mm from almost the same spot you can get from
relatively unobtrusive curvature to the obvious fisheye look if you like it...