Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4264 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, so many incredible photographs! Thank you everyone!

I look forward to more. . .

Last edited by troyz; 08-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I have one I posted earlier, and another some time ago...

08-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
oh man I missed this thread well now ... DA 10-17 it's all fun ....

Hey, great post and this one won me over. What a perspective!

p.s. you got psoriasis or thyroid disorder? Better get health checked out just by looking at your nails
08-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dave and the rest nice shots. That hand one is wild!!!

08-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hey, great post and this one won me over. What a perspective!

p.s. you got psoriasis or thyroid disorder? Better get health checked out just by looking at your nails
haha last blood check all was good - the one nail was crushed years ago from my days as a Rig Pig. But I am in the second half of life for sure .... hope I got a few more years left
08-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My Zen is good and I am at one with the universe

Ok, I finally figured out the source of the funny noise in the Zenitar and got out actually use it for something other than test shots. It must have detected my good vibes and rewarded me in return. Both shots were in difficult lighting and I am pretty pleased with the results. The first has just a hint of PF (not visible at this resolution) on the far left and right margin and no CA. The second is completely free of PF and CA despite strong transitions, back-lighting, etc. (go figure...).

Not very "fishy", hope no one is offended!

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2008 at 09:53 AM.
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok, I finally figured out the source of the funny noise in the Zenitar and got out actually use it for something other than test shots.
Steve:

Very nice (especially the second image).

I just took delivery of a used Zenitar K; it's usably sharp in the center at f/4.0, not bad at the edges at f/5.6). I guess I should keep it!

My copy of the Zenitar also makes a noise when I rotate the focus ring. What did you find out about this?

08-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
Steve:

Very nice (especially the second image).

I just took delivery of a used Zenitar K; it's usably sharp in the center at f/4.0, not bad at the edges at f/5.6). I guess I should keep it!

My copy of the Zenitar also makes a noise when I rotate the focus ring. What did you find out about this?
Thanks for the compliments on the pics. The second shot was done at the top of a waterfall that I had photographed before. Unfortunately, the water was unseasonably high and I was unable to get some of the angles I was hoping for. I had several other similar shots that were taken with the kit lens. Both lenses were set at either f/8 or f/11 and I can tell you with no reservations...the Zenitar blew the kit away.

As an aside, I discovered a fine point of technique (not related to fisheye lenses) when doing those shots. If there is motion within the frame, you might want to turn the shake-reduction off. I guess I knew this, but did not think that it might apply to pictures with large areas of moving, splashing water. The shake reduction attempts to track the water and blurs the rocks instead!

Now, back to the Zenitar and the noise thing...

What I found about the noise is that it only did it when the lens was not mounted on the camera. So, I thought, what is different when the lens is mounted? Why, of course, the aperture lever is depressed to open the lens up! So I manually flipped the lever and rotated the focus and...ta da!...no noise.

Apparently there is some sort of spring-tensioned follower mechanism as part of the aperture coupler that makes noise if the aperture coupler is not in the full open position and the inner workings move back and forth to focus. I think what I was hearing was a small spring or a spring-loaded joint. What ever the actual cause, the noisemaker should probably not be an issue in normal use. Big sigh of relief. Now I can just simply take pictures and not worry about shipping another lens back to Moscow.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-03-2008 at 10:31 PM.
08-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Same location at distillery area of Toronto

Image defished almost to straight line. Flare issue? What flare issue? PF?

Daniel
08-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As an aside, I discovered a fine point of technique (not related to fisheye lenses) when doing those shots. If there is motion within the frame, you might want to turn the shake-reduction off. I guess I knew this, but did not think that it might apply to pictures with large areas of moving, splashing water. The shake reduction attempts to track the water and blurs the rocks instead!

Steve
The in-body SR does not track the splashing water or subject motion. It tracks and compensates for your hand motion.
Also for 16mm, SR is not quite relevant unlike those for longer lens.

Daniel
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #41

Love the DA10-17 -- it's a great creative tool...

08-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #42

Still with my sigma:

08-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
The in-body SR does not track the splashing water or subject motion. It tracks and compensates for your hand motion.
Also for 16mm, SR is not quite relevant unlike those for longer lens.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel for the clarification. I may have been confused by the documentation regarding panning a subject with SR turned on. What I do know is that in some of the pictures I took of the moving river, the water splashes appear somewhat sharper than the rocks immediately adjacent to it.

I think I might start another thread regarding SR, how it works, and the limitations/caveats. It would be good to bring together the knowledge of the group.

Steve
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another backyard job just for fun.
You guys must be bored of this by now... onto the next challenge...
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Ash: I love the star trails... I'm not bored of that... no exif data though - how long of an exposure is that, about?

Tons of excellent photos here. I'll have to upload some more tomorrow, I took some more with the DA10-17 this weekend.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Sorry, but to me this is one of the best shots I have seen in my life. Awesome subject, lighting and post processing!
been away for a few days, Asahiflex, thx for the compliment on thas one.