Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4263 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1636
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
A few from a recent cruise...San Juan...
Great shots.

05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #1637
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple weeks ago I got a few shots with my DA 10~17 under a nearly full moon.

This one is 6 shots stacked. The yellow cast is from the high pressure sodium light on the front wall of my shop. Hopefully I will remember to turn it off next time!

Then last night after getting the firmware updated on my K10D so this new (to me!) Sigma 4.5mm Circular Fisheye would function (thank you Adam!) I stepped out and grabbed a few quick snaps hand held.

Looking straight up in the middle of the yard.

The porch of the house from a couple of different angles.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-08-2013 at 10:44 PM.
05-08-2013, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rokinon 8mm HDR from the Black Canyon last weekend.

05-09-2013, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #1639

A few more from the DA 10-17 at San Juan...

Last edited by jwc77; 10-23-2013 at 07:20 PM.
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #1640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Rokinon 8mm HDR from last weekend.

05-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #1641
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote

Pretty rocky riverbanks. Did you kayak down that river?
05-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #1642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Pretty rocky riverbanks. Did you kayak down that river?
I have before but that day I was hiking with my son. Some world class whitewater is pretty close!

05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #1643
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Is that the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado??
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #1644
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't remember if I posted this one before, but here it is again. The meteor crater in the Arizona desert. This thing is huge.

I shot this with my DA 10~17.

I tried to make a panorama with the lens too. But for some reason the ICE thing from MicroSoft won't place the images where I want, with the crater in the center. Instead it splits them right in the middle of the crater.

So then I made one of those "mini planet" images from it.

This 3 image pano came out a bit better.

05-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #1645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty cool! I'd like to see that crater one of these days. I've hit that same problem in ICE and was able to solve it. Unfortunately I don't remember what the solution was. But maybe you can hunt around and look for something to do with ordering the images or something like that.
05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1646
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Is that the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado??
Yes, I live in Gunnison so it's pretty close. Neat place!
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #1647
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've hit that same problem in ICE and was able to solve it. Unfortunately I don't remember what the solution was. But maybe you can hunt around and look for something to do with ordering the images or something like that.
I suspect it may have something to do with the timestamp on the images. I started the series of shots with the crater centered in one, then rotated left all the way around. But I stumbled between the first and second shots (it was very windy there, the ground uneven), and the software won't place that first image in the panorama.

I did go to the MicroSoft forum for the program, but for some odd reason the moderator there kept deleting my posts, and no one responded to my inquiries. I ranted about it somewhere here, but of course that did me no more good than giving me the satisfaction of complaining.

I also tried to use Photoshop to stitch the shots together, but it can't resolve the overlap (I think because of the wide angle of the lens), and the result is what you would get if you tossed the photos up in the air and let them fall where they may.
05-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #1648
Forum Member

Here's a pic of a ship I've been doing some repairs on. 10-17 portrait, top & bottom cropped.

Last edited by 6878dodge; 05-13-2013 at 03:28 AM.
05-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #1649
Pentaxian

Racer X 69, If Microsoft ICE recognizes the stitch as a 360 degree pano and Rotating Motion is selected you should be able to enter the projection and orientation tool using the little 3D cube at the top. The image will be stitched in a complete cylinder that you can spin around to any orientation you wish. This may not work very well with a FE lens though. I've never tried stitching such heavily distorted images.

BTW, I like the little mini planet. I don't think I have the tools to do that. Is there any freeware that will let you play around with the polar coordinates?
05-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1650
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
Racer X 69, If Microsoft ICE recognizes the stitch as a 360 degree pano and Rotating Motion is selected you should be able to enter the projection and orientation tool using the little 3D cube at the top. The image will be stitched in a complete cylinder that you can spin around to any orientation you wish. This may not work very well with a FE lens though. I've never tried stitching such heavily distorted images.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that out.

There was one more image in the series that ICE refused to include, and it covered the crater completely. I'm not sure why the program excluded it. The two that cover either side have very little overlap.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
BTW, I like the little mini planet. I don't think I have the tools to do that. Is there any freeware that will let you play around with the polar coordinates?
I am going to give GIMP a try as soon as I take the time to install and learn it.

For this one I used Photoshop, CS5. There are a number of tutorials online that detail the process. Essentially you make a pano, level the horizon, square and crop, turn the image upside down, make it square (uncheck the maintain aspect ratio), then wrap it.

Some cleanup at the joint and fix up the sky, and your "little planet" is complete!

I ran out of patience and time while finishing up the sky, so the blue doesn't change very gradually.