Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4264 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #2281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the lead-up to Mr frogoutofwater's and my trip to Iceland later this month, I succumbed to LBA and bought the Pentax 10-17 fisheye (and it should be waiting for me when I get home from work tonight). Please tell me I did the right thing and that I'll have fun with it. I don't shoot wide that much, and we have a 15mm f/4 that we've almost never used. But it seems like Iceland would be a great place to play with a fish-eye lens. Any tips for making the most out of it?

06-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #2282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
In the lead-up to Mr frogoutofwater's and my trip to Iceland later this month, I succumbed to LBA and bought the Pentax 10-17 fisheye (and it should be waiting for me when I get home from work tonight). Please tell me I did the right thing and that I'll have fun with it. I don't shoot wide that much, and we have a 15mm f/4 that we've almost never used. But it seems like Iceland would be a great place to play with a fish-eye lens. Any tips for making the most out of it?
Like the 15, the fisheye requires some foreground interest to make an interesting shot. Unless you have an amazing sky, a wide open space shot with a UWA won't be that interesting. It's when there is visual interest close and/or all around (in a canyon, close to mountains or buildings, etc) that the images get really fun.
Have fun in Iceland! That's a bucket list place for me.
06-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #2283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Like the 15, the fisheye requires some foreground interest to make an interesting shot. Unless you have an amazing sky, a wide open space shot with a UWA won't be that interesting. It's when there is visual interest close and/or all around (in a canyon, close to mountains or buildings, etc) that the images get really fun.
Have fun in Iceland! That's a bucket list place for me.
Your images are beautiful, Matt. I hope you make it to Iceland soon.
06-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #2284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your images are beautiful, Matt. I hope you make it to Iceland soon.
thank you

06-04-2015, 01:27 PM - 4 Likes   #2285

K5IIs+DA 10-17mm,Alanya/Turkiye

06-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #2286

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't use mine as much as I ought to, but when I do I get some wonderful shots with it. Like you I was concerned that I had bought a toy, but no I am thrilled to have it in my camera bag and would buy it again without question. Have a fabulous time in Iceland!
06-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #2287

Rokinon 8/3.5
I am so glad to see this since I just ordered this lens and it will arrive tomorrow. It looks to be such fun.
thank you,
maria

06-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #2288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I am so glad to see this since I just ordered this lens and it will arrive tomorrow. It looks to be such fun.
thank you,
maria
It is! Such a great value too. Enjoy!
06-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #2289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lens arrived last night. I tried it out on the cats and immediately acquired a nose print on the lens, so there will be a delay in showing photos

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 06-05-2015 at 09:42 AM.
06-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #2290

K5IIs+DA 10-17mm, Gökpınar ( Bluespring),Gürün/Turkiye Note:Blue of the river is natural

06-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #2291

It is! Such a great value too. Enjoy!
It came today and after a bit of fiddling and finally reading the instructions I got the lens on and working. I don't understand why it keeps wanting me to select a focal length. Wouldn't it always be 8mm? Is there an advantage to selecting another focal length? I will get to play tomorrow with it outside and perhaps find out. It's my first fully manual lens and I have a bit to learn yet.
It looks like fun tho and I am looking forward to playing with it.
maria
06-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #2292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
It came today and after a bit of fiddling and finally reading the instructions I got the lens on and working. I don't understand why it keeps wanting me to select a focal length. Wouldn't it always be 8mm? Is there an advantage to selecting another focal length? I will get to play tomorrow with it outside and perhaps find out. It's my first fully manual lens and I have a bit to learn yet.
It looks like fun tho and I am looking forward to playing with it.
maria
That is your camera not knowing the focal length it uses for SR and EXIF data.
So for that lens it will always be 8mm but the camera doesn't know the difference between A lenses. It could be 8 or 300 so you have to tell it.
And it's not fully manual because the camera can control the aperture. I like to use mine in A mode on the lens and Av on the camera and control the aperture from the camera.
06-06-2015, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2293
Veteran Member

Been using the DA 10-17 for Vivid Sydney this year, for the Customs House projections I did a bit of de-fisheye

For fireworks I just left it as is

06-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #2294

That is your camera not knowing the focal length it uses for SR and EXIF data.
So for that lens it will always be 8mm but the camera doesn't know the difference between A lenses. It could be 8 or 300 so you have to tell it.
And it's not fully manual because the camera can control the aperture. I like to use mine in A mode on the lens and Av on the camera and control the aperture from the camera.

If I put my camera in AV mode it won't do anything. I can adjust aperture with the dials on top of the camera. How do you get it to work in AV mode?
Thank you.
maria
06-06-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #2295
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by turkiye2turkiye Quote
K5IIs+DA 10-17mm,Alanya/Turkiye

Wow!

Steve