Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #2731
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Did anyone notice the exif on this photo?

It was shot with a Canon camera by some guy named Dan Donavan.

Not too confident that Photator is that guy.
It's his , it's an old post on his flickr, he has since moved up to a 7d and Fuji xm1 , and the exif on anything i checked his stream all says Dan Donovan . I'd say not sure why a Canon/ Fuji guy is here, but I'm a Fuji guy now previously Pentax and at one point I was a moderator here sooo...

01-05-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #2732
Veteran Member

Nothing new here in a while... so here's a couple with the K-1 and Samyang 12mm combo:

01-16-2017, 06:08 AM - 3 Likes   #2733
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

waking this idle thread up:

K-3 with DA10-17mm:

K-3 with Rokinon 8mm:

01-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #2734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
helping keep it awake

Dog and Ford Excursion 4X4 in background as bonus. K-3 with Pentax-DA 10-17.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-16-2017, 12:00 PM - 5 Likes   #2735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
here's a couple with the K-1 and Samyang 12mm combo:
Great to see some from it, thinking about getting one to replace the Samyang 8mm on the K-1, which I used to take the below in crop mode. Fairly 'special' star burst on the 12mm, but seems to retain decent contrast against the sun. Maybe you can share you impressions at a suitable place in the forum.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-16-2017, 12:27 PM - 4 Likes   #2736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Great to see some from it, thinking about getting one to replace the Samyang 8mm on the K-1, which I used to take the below in crop mode. Fairly 'special' star burst on the 12mm, but seems to retain decent contrast against the sun. Maybe you can share you impressions at a suitable place in the forum.
This is probably as suitable as anywhere. So far, I mostly really like the Samyang 12mm... the starbursts are way better than on the usual 6-blade aperture fisheyes, but there's a lot of flare. You can see some of it in the picture with the fountain in the foreground. It could really benefit from some Pentax SMC or HD coating. The sharpness is very good, the purple fringing is quite low - far less than on the 10-17mm, and contrast seems fine - I haven't really paid attention specifically but haven't yet felt like it's been a problem at all. I feel like it could use a little more distortion but it's not bad and I haven't gotten motivated enough to try to create a lens profile to make it more fishy, like a traditional fisheye.

I saw that a used one recently sold on eBay for really cheap - someone got a great deal.

[IMG][/IMG]

01-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #2737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but there's a lot of flare
I can see quite some ghosting (those mostly colored rings in aperture shape). But actual flare, i.e. highlights fogging the darker areas, doesn't look too bad. Sure there's some on the Sugar... store name, but overall the picture still looks crisp.
I feel like it could use a little more distortion
I actually like their projection, as it can be used quite nicely for landscapes (verticals!, see below), sometimes even architecture and your beautiful dome also shows that. People look rather nice, even outside the center. The projection also stitches extremely well, the library 'pano-eye' was put together out of 3 quick handheld vertical snaps without requiring any manual intervention in Hugin. Taken in full mode on K-1, I left a little bit of the hood edge in the picture intentionally. My 8mm is still the one with fixed hood.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #2738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dome, the cleft rock, and the library in the posts above are exemplary images.
01-16-2017, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some 10-17 shots on the K3. The ice has really dammed up the river causing some flooding upstream. Hopefully the warmer weather this week will break it up.

01-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #2740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The dome, the cleft rock, and the library in the posts above are exemplary images.
Exemplary for ... non-obvious fisheye photos?

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Some 10-17 shots on the K3.
These also don't play with the fisheye distortion, but shine through extreme wide angles. I really like the perpendicular textures/converging lines with two convergence points in the last one.
01-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #2741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my last post here I should have included praise for your shot looking up that cliff face. Been in somewhat similar locations but never thought of using a fish-eye to capture the mood that way.

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 08:46 AM ----------

Exemplary for ... non-obvious fisheye photos?

Exemplary period, fish eye or not. IMHO those are the kind of images that stick in my mind long after one viewing, ones I wish I had taken, ones I would try to emulate if I encountered a similar photo-op.
01-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #2742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exemplary period, fish eye or not. IMHO those are the kind of images that stick in my mind long after one viewing, ones I wish I had taken, ones I would try to emulate if I encountered a similar photo-op.
Agreed absolutely
01-18-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A hallway at the Hagia Sophia, obviously with no attempt at de-fishing, but slightly cropped (much more floor was showing in the foreground).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #2744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been in somewhat similar locations but never thought of using a fish-eye to capture the mood that way ... try to emulate if I encountered a similar photo-op.
Thanks for the praise! As evident from the exifs, I have traveled last year more than ever before, with a lot of varied photo-ops. The rock pictures however are from a weekend trip to one of the most remarkable natural areas in Germany, a small national park featuring sand stone structures, 'round the corner by American standards.

I find fisheye shots to require extra careful composition: Groucho must have been exactly in the center below the ceiling and also Michael's Downtown Grand Rapids works so well for me because of the layering of converging lines with two vanishing points.

As Ansel Adams already made clear in 'The Positive', it is however the 'execution' (now: post-processing) which finally transform the captures from being true in the scientific sense to pictures being true to the imagination and emotion. Except for the library, which was surprisingly easy to process, I struggled a lot with those photos to produce anything at all worth looking at due to extreme contrasts. Even though feeling most proficient in Rawtherapee, it was only when in my ~4th attempt I gave Darktable a try, that the cliff picture emerged as you see it!
01-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #2745
Veteran Member

I can see quite some ghosting (those mostly colored rings in aperture shape). But actual flare, i.e. highlights fogging the darker areas, doesn't look too bad. Sure there's some on the Sugar... store name, but overall the picture still looks crisp.
I guess I'm using "lens flare" in the video game/JJ Abrams definition - yes, the ghosting. The flare around bright lights themselves isn't bad. But there's definitely more ghosting that I'd expect from a Pentax OEM lens.

QuoteQuote:
I actually like their projection, as it can be used quite nicely for landscapes (verticals!, see below), sometimes even architecture and your beautiful dome also shows that. People look rather nice, even outside the center. The projection also stitches extremely well, the library 'pano-eye' was put together out of 3 quick handheld vertical snaps without requiring any manual intervention in Hugin. Taken in full mode on K-1, I left a little bit of the hood edge in the picture intentionally. My 8mm is still the one with fixed hood.
Yes, but I'm one of those strange people who doesn't care so much about accurate landscapes; I want fishiness in my fisheye lens. I'm not a particular fan of UWA lenses and I feel like Samyang is trying to make the fisheye more UWA-friendly, which is not what I'm after. I'll be curious to see Pentax's upcoming FF fisheye zoom and how it compares to see if I'll be upgrading to it or not. I probably will sooner or later; I have been wanting a weathersealed fisheye for years!

In the meantime, I do still like the Samyang 12mm and time will tell if I find myself liking its projection more or less. If I get really fired up, I'll do some comparison shots between it and my other FF fisheye (Zenitar 16mm) one of these days.