03-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #2836
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattwoodcock Quote
KP+10-17
Very Cool!!!

03-21-2017, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2837

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That is a spectacular, original, dramatic, and somewhat disturbing artistic creation. Not sure I would trust walking under it. Many thanks for posting the image. It will stick in my mind a long time.
Thanks! This is the story of it. Bold statement: $145,000 artwork Rainbow, a reflection of Fremantle Port | Perth Now I think I need to go back at night and take a shot with my tripod.
03-21-2017, 11:48 PM - 3 Likes   #2838
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I think I'm beginning to warm up to the distortion of this Rokinon 8mm FE.

I thought about walking up to the base of the windmill in the front, to try taking pictures pointed straight up (more or less). I couldn't see any signs warning of video surveillance and the windmills are owned by SaskPower, which is owned by the Province of Saskatchewan, so I might argue that I own a piece of it, but in the end I decided I didn't want attract any suspicious attention, so I stopped once I had walked to within about 100 feet of the doorway at the bottom.
Why not?

If there is no fence around the tower, or signage prohibiting getting close, go for it. I did at the Wildhorse Windfarm near Vantage, Washington. I even went up before dawn to catch a sunrise.

03-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #2839
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not sure I would trust walking under it.
I am wondering why they didn't use the corners to link the cans.

By design shipping containers are strongest at the edges and corners.

Each corner is used to secure them in transit. The 4 bottom corners when moved on truck trailers designed to carry them. The top 4 corners are where the giant lifts grab them at container ports to manipulate them. And when they are stacked on the ships they are all linked at the corners for stability.

The way the artist has chosen to link them is along the edges at two places. This would require reinforcement of the steel to support the connections and carry and distribute the loads created by the weight.

I think it would have been easier and required less engineering to design a connector that capitalized on the existing securement points.

Still a neat idea.

And a great photo.

03-22-2017, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #2840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe internal bracing was put inside of the containers before they were assembled at the site. It would be unseen now. Most planners of such monuments know that it is very bad for tourism when the structures fall on visitors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I am wondering why they didn't use the corners to link the cans.

By design shipping containers are strongest at the edges and corners.

Each corner is used to secure them in transit. The 4 bottom corners when moved on truck trailers designed to carry them. The top 4 corners are where the giant lifts grab them at container ports to manipulate them. And when they are stacked on the ships they are all linked at the corners for stability.

The way the artist has chosen to link them is along the edges at two places. This would require reinforcement of the steel to support the connections and carry and distribute the loads created by the weight.

I think it would have been easier and required less engineering to design a connector that capitalized on the existing securement points.

Still a neat idea.

And a great photo.
03-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #2841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Maybe internal bracing was put inside of the containers before they were assembled at the site. It would be unseen now. Most planners of such monuments know that it is very bad for tourism when the structures fall on visitors.
Ouch! I would hate to become a statistic that way.
03-24-2017, 07:42 PM - 4 Likes   #2842
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 with Rokinon 8mm f3.5 AS IF UMC

not-so-fishy:

fishy:

03-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #2843

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
ART of alternative facts – the last snows of winter on Florida Bay! | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
Like this one. Can you tell us how you did it? Which lens for circular effect? How to get the environmental background! Inquiring minds want to know! :>)

Thanks! The circular fisheye I'm using is the rarely seen Coastal Optics 4.88mm (Jenoptik) lens with a custom fill flash setup that I made. It's a great match for the APS-C K-01!
I lucked into one on ebay and it comes in either an EF or Nikon F mount. However it's really a T mount lens, so all I had to do was swap out the adapters and adjust focusing. It's meant to be used as a fixed focus lens, but DOF is of course huge, so not really much of a concern. I love the lens, only wish it was faster than 5.2 .. but it is sharp to the edges with very clean projection!

As far as the background, I wanted to present rectangles rather than round plates, so I started adding images underneath in PP. I think it works out pretty well!

Here's the techical PDF link on the lens:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&ved=0ahUKEw...,d.ZGg&cad=rja
03-27-2017, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #2844
Pentaxian

Palmer House taken with Pentax K-1 and K17/4 Fisheye by Jason Doss, on Flickr
03-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #2845
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Palmer House taken with Pentax K-1 and K17/4 Fisheye by Jason Doss, on Flickr
Is that just a passage door or the entry to an elevator? Looks like the latter.
03-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #2846
Pentaxian

Just a passage door at this time, but can't say it wasn't an elevator door sometime in the past.
03-28-2017, 12:17 AM - 4 Likes   #2847
Pentaxian

Did not have a lot of time for picture taking lately, but i'm glad i picked up my 10-17 for this trip
03-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #2848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
'm glad i picked up my 10-17 for this trip
Good choice! It was only after our first trip to Italy that I looked into ultra-wide angles - though we didn't make it to Bologna yet. To me, the tower view really feels like the sensation of the first view after reaching the platform.
03-29-2017, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted this image some time ago, two years back, maybe more, but I came across it when looking for something else and decided to post it again. Taken with a 16mm f2.8 Pentax, probably mounted on my LX. Scanned from the chrome.
Attached Images

03-29-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #2850
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been away from the thread for a while, but here's one from a trip last July. I was impressed by the extreme depth of field.
Taken with the K-1 in crop mode.

The (fish)Eye