Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4263 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 03:13 AM   #2971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ok, just stop it you two! I do not need another fisheye!

That said - great shots
I just need one more fish-eye--either my 10-17mm or Rokinon 8mm in full frame, preferably the 10-17!

10-16-2017, 03:36 AM   #2972
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just need one more fish-eye--either my 10-17mm or Rokinon 8mm in full frame, preferably the 10-17!
Ok, I guess I do need another fisheye If they can make a full frame 10-17 anything near as compact as the DA I'd be all over it.

The Rokinon I find too bulky as it is so it rarely leaves the shelf. It's a fun lens, though. And 8mm for 135 format would be interesting. Impossible not to get your feet in the frame, but interesting.
10-16-2017, 04:09 AM   #2973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I guess I do need another fisheye If they can make a full frame 10-17 anything near as compact as the DA I'd be all over it.

The Rokinon I find too bulky as it is so it rarely leaves the shelf. It's a fun lens, though. And 8mm for 135 format would be interesting. Impossible not to get your feet in the frame, but interesting.
And 8mm for 135 format would be interesting. Impossible not to get your feet in the frame, but interesting.
The Sigma 8mm F4 Fisheye Circular Image Filtermatic Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database? Anything shorter than the diagonal fish-eyes will have to cut off corners in some way. A "shaved" DA10-17mm seems to actually become a decent almost circular fish-eye for the K-1.
10-16-2017, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2974
Veteran Member

What's that, you want excuses to buy another fisheye?

My dream lens is a FF version of the 10-17mm, but weatersealed, with an odd number of aperture blades (for starbursts!), and of course, much better control of PF - the 10-17mm really suffers in that regard. The Samyang has those much, much more under control. They do have a FF fisheye on the roadmap, I hope it'll have those features - if so, the Samyang will quickly go up for sale! But for now...

10-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #2975
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
The Sigma 8mm F4 Fisheye Circular Image Filtermatic Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database? Anything shorter than the diagonal fish-eyes will have to cut off corners in some way. A "shaved" DA10-17mm seems to actually become a decent almost circular fish-eye for the K-1.
Yes, "shaving" the 10-17 is tempting, but I don't think I will mechanically assault any of my lenses in that way For now I'm content with using it as is. I still like the results it provides.

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
What's that, you want excuses to buy another fisheye?

My dream lens is a FF version of the 10-17mm, but weatersealed, with an odd number of aperture blades (for starbursts!), and of course, much better control of PF - the 10-17mm really suffers in that regard. The Samyang has those much, much more under control. They do have a FF fisheye on the roadmap, I hope it'll have those features - if so, the Samyang will quickly go up for sale! But for now...
No! I do not need any more excuses to buy anything. At all.

But yes, the DFA fishy you describe would be very nice. Of course, size is always important to me. Big lenses just don't get used, no matter how good they are.
10-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #2976
Veteran Member

The Samyang 12mm is not too big, I don't think. It is fairly wide, and it is remarkably easy to get one's fingertips in the corner of the picture! I seem to find that happening a lot more with the Samyang than my old 10-17mm.

The 10-17mm is remarkably small, though. I remember comparing it to someone's Sigma 15mm fisheye a number of years ago and being amazed at the difference in size. I will give up a little bit of size for better PF control and the extra aperture blades!
10-16-2017, 08:39 AM - 5 Likes   #2977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knowing that I'm repeating myself: I really like fisheye verticals, and Groucho's 2nd NYC picture is a very fine example.

Ok, just stop it you two! I do not need another fisheye!
As you're asking so nicely, here's another 12mm architecture shot, which called for a vertical fisheye:

The old library of the Trinity College in Dublin

This place is very busy, primarily because it displays the Book of Kells. Even trying hard, it is next to impossible
to - handheld - both frame a precise composition and get a somewhat unobscured view at the same time. Can you make out the sorting of volumes in each bookshelf? Largest ones at the bottom, smallest ones at the top.

But of course, landscape orientation often works better for - landscapes:

Beach in Connemara in July

Btw., the contrast in the raw data is brutal - I'm glad the 12mm is very robust against ghosting.

10-16-2017, 11:45 AM - 3 Likes   #2978
Veteran Member

Knowing that I'm repeating myself: I really like fisheye verticals, and Groucho's 2nd NYC picture is a very fine example.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I do like vertical fisheyes too, they can really bend reality even more than landscape ones. Like this - this is actually a complete in-line Saturn V rocket with a section removed so you can see more, but the picture makes it look like they point in totally different directions.

Vertical can also give an almost vertigo-like converging lines appearance, too!

10-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #2979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I do like vertical fisheyes too, they can really bend reality even more than landscape ones. Like this - this is actually a complete in-line Saturn V rocket with a section removed so you can see more, but the picture makes it look like they point in totally different directions.

Vertical can also give an almost vertigo-like converging lines appearance, too!

I stood under that particular rocket, but no fish-eye at the time. (left it home, a Pentax 16mm f2.8, now long gone)
10-16-2017, 06:55 PM - 4 Likes   #2980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I stood under that particular rocket, but no fish-eye at the time. (left it home, a Pentax 16mm f2.8, now long gone)
You'll just have to go back. It was really fascinating. Unfortunately, my wife couldn't make it on that trip; I wish she could since she was lucky enough to go to Space Camp when she was young, so it would be a return for her.

Those rockets just call out for a fisheye, like the skyscrapers in NYC...

The Space Shuttle (actually a test replica) makes for an interesting fisheye subject, too. Test replica or not, I still get choked up when I see a shuttle in person.

10-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #2981
Ole
Administrator

Taken on a recent trip to Lofoten (Norway, in the polar circle). F/2.8 allows to keep exposure short at 2s in order to retain the structure of the lights. A single exposure - the full moon helped with lanscpace and clouds.
Very nice and thanks for the exposure tip!
10-18-2017, 04:33 AM - 5 Likes   #2982
Veteran Member

Looks like the Enterprise is really squished in there!

Here's Discovery as it looks in Washington DC, with a K-3 and 10-17mm:

Last edited by Groucho; 10-19-2017 at 07:43 PM.
10-18-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #2983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Multiple spectacular and creative fish-eye images posted on this page. To all who've posted, thank you for sharing.
10-24-2017, 02:53 AM - 4 Likes   #2984
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rokinon 12mm on K1
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #2985
Site Supporter