Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4264 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #3541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
I love to shoot architecture with a fisheye lens. Here is a shot taken with my DA 10-17 (older [IF] version) at 10mm on my KP.
The location is the Old Capitol building in Iowa City. Cross-posted from the 'Post Your Best KP Shots' thread.
Love the tones, the lines/ curves. Very cool!

12-09-2019, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #3542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
zenitar 16/f2.8....k-1
Your pup pics always get a grin from me.
12-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #3543
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love to shoot architecture with a fisheye lens. Here is a shot taken with my DA 10-17 (older [IF] version) at 10mm on my KP.
The location is the Old Capitol building in Iowa City. Cross-posted from the 'Post Your Best KP Shots' thread.
That is a fantastic image. I'm sure the people responsible for taht building would be happy to hang it somewhere inside. Or they should be.
12-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #3544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The location is the Old Capitol building in Iowa City.
This is really, really good, thanks for sharing! This is one of those perfect uses for the fisheye (IMO). I love how the railings and balusters all look very natural around the edges and in the corners of the frame. If you shot that with a rectilinear, I'm guessing that they'd all be stretched out and weird looking.

12-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #3545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Love the tones, the lines/ curves. Very cool!
Thank you. I was very pleased with how the picture turned out. I think I could do a bit more with the overall tonality of the picture, so I plan to keep working on it.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That is a fantastic image. I'm sure the people responsible for taht building would be happy to hang it somewhere inside. Or they should be.
Thanks! The Old Capitol is currently a part of the University of Iowa, and if I were a student there - or even one of their alumni - I might have a chance to get it hung there. Alas, I'm not either one, so I'll have to be content with hanging it on my walls.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
This is really, really good, thanks for sharing! This is one of those perfect uses for the fisheye (IMO). I love how the railings and balusters all look very natural around the edges and in the corners of the frame. If you shot that with a rectilinear, I'm guessing that they'd all be stretched out and weird looking.
Again, thank you! I did take some pictures of the stairway with a DA 15mm and while they turned out very well, those images don't have near the impact of the fisheye ones. I couldn't believe my luck when I tried cropping the picture and saw how much just a little cropping improved the picture.
12-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #3546
Pentaxian

Thanks! The Old Capitol is currently a part of the University of Iowa, and if I were a student there - or even one of their alumni - I might have a chance to get it hung there. Alas, I'm not either one, so I'll have to be content with hanging it on my walls.
I was thinking more in the lines of selling it to them. For their benefit, not yours...
12-10-2019, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #3547
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
North Jetty to Humboldt Bay, with the F 17-28:

12-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #3548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Your pup pics always get a grin from me.
hahaha! thank you! appreciate that....it's great to share the joy
12-10-2019, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #3549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one of my favorites from the 10-17 so far. Shot at 15mm, handheld (no place to stick a tripod, believe me), f/18, 1/5 sec to try to get some flowy water. One of the cool things about this lens is how tolerant it is to being handheld due to how wide it is. No de-fishing in post. To my eye, there is nothing unnaturally distorted here.

12-12-2019, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #3550
Pentaxian

Early morning on the Jetty, with the F 17-28:

12-12-2019, 09:55 PM - 4 Likes   #3551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two examples where I had taken similar shots with the DA 15 Ltd last year and discovered this year that a fisheye perspective works better. My fisheye is the Rokinon 8mm.

The view out our patio doors once the lights are plugged in.

The only way to get all of our backyard into the same photo.

12-14-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #3552
Pentaxian

I've been sorting out my Lightroom libraries etc. after a series of events I won't bore you with and rediscovering old images I had never worked on before. This one was shot using a Pentax MX, SMC Pentax "K" 17mm fisheye and Fuji Neopan 100 film. (Cross-posted with other relevant threads.)

Camperdown cemetery, Sydney, 2013.

Sydney tree roots par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
12-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #3553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Here's one of my favorites from the 10-17 so far. Shot at 15mm, handheld (no place to stick a tripod, believe me), f/18, 1/5 sec to try to get some flowy water. One of the cool things about this lens is how tolerant it is to being handheld due to how wide it is. No de-fishing in post. To my eye, there is nothing unnaturally distorted here.
Great shot! Fisheyes work very well when used like this. About the only straight line in nature is the horizon.
12-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #3554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Great shot! Fisheyes work very well when used like this. About the only straight line in nature is the horizon.

Thanks! Trees give me a hard time in a lot of circumstances, since we want those to be straight usually. But, that said, this lens is far from the one trick pony that some people make it out to be.

---------- Post added 12-14-19 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I've been sorting out my Lightroom libraries etc. after a series of events I won't bore you with and rediscovering old images I had never worked on before. This one was shot using a Pentax MX, SMC Pentax "K" 17mm fisheye and Fuji Neopan 100 film. (Cross-posted with other relevant threads.)

Camperdown cemetery, Sydney, 2013.

Sydney tree roots par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Very nice! Love the way you composed this!
12-15-2019, 06:44 PM - 4 Likes   #3555
Pentaxian

Patrick's Point SP, with the F 17-28: