Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4263 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 02:25 PM - 6 Likes   #3646

Hi,
I've been owing y'all this post forquite a while. I found the forum around the time I got my diagonal180 fisheye (Samyang 7.5mm for MFT). That was back at the beginningof 2015. The forum was good enough that I went back and read it fromthe start, and have followed it ever since. So, yes, I have read all243 pages. There is some good art in this forum. As one of you said awhile back, the forum is wonderful for showing that fisheyes are goodfor more than “making the nose of your dog look weird.”

Pentax? I had a K1000 from 1983 until Iwent digital just after the turn of the millennium. My first fisheyewas an add on adapter, the Raynox DCR-FE180 PRO .24x. I got thataround 2005. On the 28mm equivalent wide end of my Minolta Dimage A1,that gave me a 180 horizontal image. Same fov when I went to FourThirds and then Micro Four Thirds. This is the round sides, flat topand bottom image. I see a few such images here on Fisheye Fever. WhatI don't see much (any?) of is what I prefer to do with such croppedimages. I do an oval mask. I like the result a lot better than theraw “parentheses” shape ( ). As it stands, I'll use the oocparentheses shape for first-pass selections, but the firstpost-processing a good image gets is to get the oval mask. I like itenough that I occasionally use it on images from my diagonal 180Samyang 7.5.

So here are a few such pictures fromthe archives as a thanks to all of you. …

- John Paul

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DiMAGE A1  Photo       
05-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #3647
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Paul Quote
Hi,
I've been owing y'all this post forquite a while. I found the forum around the time I got my diagonal180 fisheye (Samyang 7.5mm for MFT). That was back at the beginningof 2015. The forum was good enough that I went back and read it fromthe start, and have followed it ever since. So, yes, I have read all243 pages. There is some good art in this forum. As one of you said awhile back, the forum is wonderful for showing that fisheyes are goodfor more than “making the nose of your dog look weird.”

Pentax? I had a K1000 from 1983 until Iwent digital just after the turn of the millennium. My first fisheyewas an add on adapter, the Raynox DCR-FE180 PRO .24x. I got thataround 2005. On the 28mm equivalent wide end of my Minolta Dimage A1,that gave me a 180 horizontal image. Same fov when I went to FourThirds and then Micro Four Thirds. This is the round sides, flat topand bottom image. I see a few such images here on Fisheye Fever. WhatI don't see much (any?) of is what I prefer to do with such croppedimages. I do an oval mask. I like the result a lot better than theraw “parentheses” shape ( ). As it stands, I'll use the oocparentheses shape for first-pass selections, but the firstpost-processing a good image gets is to get the oval mask. I like itenough that I occasionally use it on images from my diagonal 180Samyang 7.5.

- John Paul
That's a nice set to show a different technique for using a fish-eye than I can recall seeing. The images of what are think are Yosemite and lower down Joshua Tree at night I think are especially successful.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-10-2020 at 03:28 AM.
05-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #3648

Thanks,

Yup, that is Yosemite. That is one of my more recent shots with the Samyang 7.5mm diagonal 180. So I didn't have to give it the oval crop, but I liked it better that way.

I remember seeing lots of portraits given the oval treatment, but not much more. I would love to have it as an in-camera croping option.

-John Paul
05-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #3649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do an oval mask.
John, those are some great shots and I enjoyed your presentation. I like the oval matte idea, and I have a few pictures taken at 10mm with my 10-17 FE that I think would do well with that treatment. Thanks for sharing, and for the inspiration!

05-17-2020, 12:31 AM - 4 Likes   #3650
Veteran Member

Any tips for getting the most out of a fisheye? My LCS is closing forever and made me a great deal on the last Pentax lens they had in stock, the mightly DA 10-17mm fisheye! Haven't done much shooting or editing yet, but so far I'm finding "get close" and "the further away from level the wilder things get" are pretty close to rules for it.

Oh, and wipe the kids' noses first!

05-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #3651

Read this forum

Hi,
My first suggestion is to read back through this forum. You will find lots of uses for a fisheye, which have various levels of "fishiness" to them. Also, enjoy that zoom range. At the long end, the lens will make a wonderful ultra-wide lens, with very little fishiness to it, but with what is sometimes a more pleasant distortion than an ultra-wide rectilinear. As a micro four thirds shooter, I've been envying all you Pentax folks your zoom-fish lens. I'm about 10 days into owning the Meike 6-11mm. Given what I have been doing cropping a 180 diagonal fisheye, I'm looking forward to using my new zoom-fish, especially in landscape situations.
-John Paul
05-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #3652
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t know many of you are aware of/have read the Ricoh featured product about the 10-17mm FE. Featured02?HD PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE10-17mmF3.5-4.5ED? | About HD Coating / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
I wasn’t and it is excellent and informative. The following were noteworthy for me:

1. Original 17-28mm FE was developed by converting an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens into a fish-eye zoom lens, and the reasons/advantages.

2. detailed angle of view data for 10-17mm FE (horizontal, vertical, diagonal) at various FL’s on FF and APS-C format.

3. One of the featured photographers (Takuma Kimura) commenting on using the fish eye said: “I can minimize the effect of distortion by … using the camera’s Composition Adjustment function, I can shift the horizontal alignment up and down to avoid placing it in the middle of the image.

06-11-2020, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two shots taken with the DA 10-17mm zoom mounted on my KP, on its wide 'fisheye' end, at 10mm - both in my back yard, on a late spring day, where the southern Oregon weather is so nice that a person can't help thinking about dusting off the old Weber barbecue kettle ...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-15-2020, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #3654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taken early this morning with the DA 10-17 zoom, on my KP - coming in for a very close fisheye close-up of this puffball flower.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-20-2020, 07:14 PM - 4 Likes   #3655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original done with 210 degree circular fish eye, but cropped a bit to remove uninteresting and distracting elements around the periphery. One thing removed - I had thoughtlessly allowed the fingers of my right hand to hold the front surface of the camera, and consequently the fingers showed along one edge of the image. With this lens the camera must be held by the top & bottom plates only, and out at arm's length.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-21-2020 at 04:25 AM.
06-23-2020, 05:12 PM - 7 Likes   #3656
Pentaxian

Hi,

- John Paul
I particularly like the night image with the Joshua trees. Do you happen to remember the exposure settings and the date it was taken?

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Any tips for getting the most out of a fisheye? My LCS is closing forever and made me a great deal on the last Pentax lens they had in stock, the mightly DA 10-17mm fisheye! Haven't done much shooting or editing yet, but so far I'm finding "get close" and "the further away from level the wilder things get" are pretty close to rules for it.

Oh, and wipe the kids' noses first!

It's a bit late in the season, but try using your fisheye on the northern lights when winter rolls around. Fisheyes were originally developed for astro imaging. Here's some bird shots using a Rokinon CS 8mm

06-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #3657

Hi,
The JTree picture was taken with a Minolta D71 with the Raynox fisheye adapter, ISO 100, 30 seconds, f2.8. And then I did a mess of post-processing, including lightening it up a BUNCH, and manually accentuating & adding stars.
-John
06-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #3658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

..... manually accentuating & adding stars -John

Now I understand why I had such trouble identifying familiar constellations.

---------- Post added 06-27-20 at 08:46 AM ----------

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-27-2020 at 05:46 AM.
06-29-2020, 11:56 AM - 9 Likes   #3659
Pentaxian

HD DA 10-17 + K-1

07-05-2020, 12:02 PM - 4 Likes   #3660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bower/Samyang f3.5 8mm
K110D

near closest focusing distance

(cross-posted)