Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA smc 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye
Belval • Luxembourg

Esch-sur-Alzette • Luxembourg
05-25-2021, 06:11 AM - 4 Likes   #3798
Pentaxian

I'm new to the DA 10-17 Fisheye lens - a few images whilst learning what the lens can do:-

Falmouth - from Flushing to the docks - Cornwall

"Peace Doves" display at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - one of a final few images taken with a fisheye lens

"Beach to Sunset" at Porthmeor Beach, St. Ives, Cornwall - taken from The Island

A fisheye view from the harbour at Mullion, Cornwall

05-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #3799

Great train

Steamloco76,
I especially like the pic of the locomotives. You make themfeel big, and charging. I like the combination of the straight, nearly radial,line of the top of the engines with the fisheye swoop of bottom. That plus the “uphill”feel does a great job of conveying the power of the locomotives.
I’m trying to parse how you aimed the camera. You have a lotmore distance on the left, but it sure looks like you are framed center to theroad. Did the road cross the tracks at an angle? I think you have the cameratilted off horizontal so the right side is higher. Or is that all from the roadbeing at an angle?
-John

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 02:40 PM ----------

fs99,
That is a nice collection of cityscapes, using the fisheye to good advantage. I especially like the straight (because it is centered) Maison du Savoir pole amid the other buildings (and the one on the left looks like it would be interesting even without the fisheye).
-John

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 02:58 PM ----------

nicolpa47,
Ah "Beach to Sunset"! Just the classic landscape (seascape) that doesn’t shout “fisheye.” Except that FE is the only way to get that wide, and it doesn’t have the stretched clouds of an ultra-wide rectilinear lens. “Falmouth - from Flushing to the docks – Cornwall” does something similar, but peaceful afternoons are not as emphatic as sunsets.

Peace Doves looks like an amazing display. Well imaged.

-John

05-27-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #3800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A former Chicago & Northwestern EMD SD40-2 now dressed for the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR captured with my Rokinon 8mm CSII and K-70.
Attached Images

05-27-2021, 05:48 PM - 5 Likes   #3801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted a different version of this RR bridge some time ago.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
05-31-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First photos with Sigma 4.5mm f2.8 DC EX HSM circular fisheye on my KP. Veteran’s Memorial Bridge over the Conemaugh River, Blairsville, PA

Attached Images

06-03-2021, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #3803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Couple of fishy shots

Shots with P645 and Arsat 30mm f 3.5 fisheye.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #3804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
First photos with Sigma 4.5mm f2.8 DC EX HSM circular fisheye on my KP. Veteran’s Memorial Bridge over the Conemaugh River, Blairsville, PA
Good shot! Nice starburst, and not too much purple fringing with that Sigma.
06-04-2021, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3805

Do I need to get Fish-eye hemi?

I recently came back from a pleasant afternoon in the San Gabriel mountains with a few nice fisheye shots, including this one:

But a pine forest has a lot of strong vertical lines which get bent in a fisheye, so I decided to de-fish. Using Hugin and my frequently chosen equirectangular projection I got this:

That is an ok start, but the prominent element of the tree just right of center is getting noticeably up into the part of the equirectangular projection where things are flattened (and stretched horizontally).

The best I could do with Hugin was a Mercator (Mercator?!!) projection, which I then gave an oval crop:

That is not as crunched on top, but now the image has lost the (feeling of) width.

What i would really like is a projection similar to equirectangular, but with a small amount of vertical stretch as one gets farther from the center.
I've noticed that a bunch of you use Fish-eye hemi. I checked their website and it looks interesting. I'd be delighted if one of you that have it showed what it will do on this image.

(Technical details: Meike 6-11mm on E-M5iii (2x crop). Shot at 6mm, but I found that using 5mm in Hugin got the trees straight.)

Thanks,
John
06-04-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #3806

The big wheel from the christmas market 2017 in Berlin: K3 II + Walimex 12mm Fisheye

06-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #3807
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the result of fisheye hemi (hemi1 option for circular image). Except for cropping to the edge of the actual image, before applying the software, I did not try any other steps. Often increasing the canvas size will make it essentially perfect, but not when the image is too close to a square and a stronger effect is needed, as in this case. The newer version of the FisheyeHemi software allows more control I believe. What I did essentially took no time at all. Crop and click on hemi option in photoshop, and then choose circular image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5MarkIII  Photo 
06-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #3808
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the result of 5 minutes work, added to the top some margin (Canvas) to not lose as much of top of trees, fisheye hemi as before, and then minor fix with warp function to fix the bending at extreme sides. This is a tough one (for me) to do well. I don't work with (almost) circular images--maybe with more tries of ways to fine tune it, it would be better.

If you had some more margin at the top of image (e.g., if it was a true circular image, or you left more margin above top of central dominant tree) I believe it would come out much better w/ fisheye hemi.

From what I have seen fisheye hemi is by far the best software for a natural look w/o loosing much of the image.For a rectangular image to start with you almost lose none of the image. Of course there is a noticeable loss of detail in the top of this image, as you are stretching it outward. Any rectilinear mapping (this extreme, namely from essentially a circle) will have this result.

The last one you had w/ Hugin (oval), I think worked the best for this particular image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5MarkIII  Photo 

Last edited by dms; 06-04-2021 at 04:03 PM.
06-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #3809

Thanks dms,

I think Fisheye hemi will be getting some $$ from me soon. (I do think their cost is quite reasonable.)

-John
06-17-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #3810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Circular fishy at Grand Central

Meike 6.5mm at f2