View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-30-2022, 07:39 AM   #3963
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Samyang 12mm F-E on a K5
Interesting interior and use of a fish-eye designed for full frame on a K5.
11-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #3964
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Interesting interior and use of a fish-eye designed for full frame on a K5.
I wanted to include both the ornate floor and the ornate archway, and standing back with a rectilinear lens did not give the same impression of proximity to those interesting features.

12-13-2022, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #3965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue Whale with its bandage

The American Museum of Natural History's adorable addition to its vaccination site: a bandage for its blue whale.

SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye at f5.6

The Shops at Columbus Circle

SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye at f8

12-14-2022, 05:41 AM - 3 Likes   #3966
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Blue Whale with its bandage

The American Museum of Natural History's adorable addition to its vaccination site: a bandage for its blue whale.

SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye at f5.6

FYI: I was a grad student doing research at the AMNH when the installation of that replica whale was being discussed. The hall of ocean life was closed and a debate/struggle/conflict was raging between scientists and the display department. The hall originally had many, many real whale skeletons displayed, most suspended from the ceiling at the level of the balcony so you could walk around and see each one, and there was an actual blue whale skeleton in the center. The display people (who won) wanted all the skeletons out, the scientists wanted them retained. The skeletons, obviously, were taken down to go into storage, but there was not storage space sufficient for them, so some were simply set on the ground outside in the central courtyard of the AMNH which is not accessible to the public. Even during the time that the skeletons were being taken out, some were damaged and more were damaged subsequently. I think they were eventually moved to a remote storage facility, basically a warehouse. Those actual skeletons are almost entirely irreplaceable as they were collected at a time when there were no restrictions on killing any kind of whale. So now there is a plastic whale, spectacular to be sure, but the priceless real thing is rotting in a warehouse.

That is the story to the end of what I know. It's possible that all those skeletons have subsequently gone to some facility that knows their worth, operated by people who value science more than glitz.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 12-14-2022 at 05:46 AM.
12-14-2022, 07:15 AM   #3967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI: I was a grad student doing research at the AMNH when the installation of that replica whale was being discussed. The hall of ocean life was closed and a debate/struggle/conflict was raging between scientists and the display department. The hall originally had many, many real whale skeletons displayed, most suspended from the ceiling at the level of the balcony so you could walk around and see each one, and there was an actual blue whale skeleton in the center. The display people (who won) wanted all the skeletons out, the scientists wanted them retained. The skeletons, obviously, were taken down to go into storage, but there was not storage space sufficient for them, so some were simply set on the ground outside in the central courtyard of the AMNH which is not accessible to the public. Even during the time that the skeletons were being taken out, some were damaged and more were damaged subsequently. I think they were eventually moved to a remote storage facility, basically a warehouse. Those actual skeletons are almost entirely irreplaceable as they were collected at a time when there were no restrictions on killing any kind of whale. So now there is a plastic whale, spectacular to be sure, but the priceless real thing is rotting in a warehouse.

That is the story to the end of what I know. It's possible that all those skeletons have subsequently gone to some facility that knows their worth, operated by people who value science more than glitz.

That's a sad story. Hopefully the skeletons are safe somewhere.

12-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #3968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! That is so sad.
12-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #3969
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
oh man I missed this thread well now ... DA 10-17 it's all fun ....

ok have to stop now - one my favorite if not favorite lens in almost any situation...

ok a few more

BTW great shots all wow !
Awesome shots!

Now I am encouraged to start using my 10-17mm more.

Regards,
12-24-2022, 05:35 AM - 3 Likes   #3970
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful Christmas eve weather this year. All shots with F17-28 FE:

12-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #3971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 10-17 on the K3-III. Cold day on Long Lake, Stillwater, MN.

Bob
01-01-2023, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3972
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to clean up the garden, luckily I had the 10-17mm on my K3 so that I could fir all the gear in one shot......

01-08-2023, 11:58 AM - 5 Likes   #3973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Morgan Library

Having fun with a pair of fish-eyes at this gorgeous library.

Meike 6.5mm circular fish-eye at f2

Rokinon/Samyang 8mm at f2.8

Rokinon/Samyang 8mm at f2.8

01-08-2023, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #3974
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Up against the wall!

Rokinon 8mm on a K5ii
01-08-2023, 12:35 PM   #3975
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 mII Limited Silver and K17f4.0 Fisheye at f8.0, 1/180s, and ISO 800