Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tokina Bokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 Macro and More

This club is dedicated to a single great lens, the Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 macro (1:2). The AT-X 90/2.5 is an A-type lens with excellent build quality, and it couples well with Pentax cameras even though it lacks AF. This is a very sharp lens with excellent rendering for macro but for much more including portraiture and landscape. All photographs with this lens are welcome for posting here. As for macro, the AT-X 90 has 1:2 capability, but an attachment is available to take the lens to 1:1. Macro photos using the attachment are especially welcome. This lens has the nickname of the Bokina because of the excellent background blur or bokeh that it produces, and photos showing off its bokeh capabilities are welcome as well. Postings on the history and development of the lens will also be welcome.

01-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the Vivitar Series 1 version apply for membership in the club?
01-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Can the Vivitar Series 1 version apply for membership in the club?
Well, why not? Please note the inclusive phrase in the title "and More," and anyway I don't think we will have any tough rule enforcers here! I also have the wonderful M-type Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro (1:1), which is likewise great for environmental as well as macro shots. I have found that these classic macro lenses, while excellent for macro use, are also wonderful environmental/landscape lenses, and that has been my primary use for the Tokina AT-X--I don't think the AT-X got its Bokina nickname for how well it shoots bugs! Another great performer in this same category is the Pentax-M 100mm f 4.0 macro (1:2). If I am remembering correctly, the Vivitar series are actually sister lenses to the AT-X, although there is some historical debate about the relationship between the two. So let's just share our photos and our experience with this lens category and see where it leads us.

Attached are a few recent non-macro shots taken yesterday with the AT-X and K-1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps the Tamron Adaptall-2 72B (90mm f2.8 Macro) could be included?

01-16-2017, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
perhaps the Tamron Adaptall-2 72B (90mm f2.8 Macro) could be included?
Yep . . . all the classic macros in the 90-105 range.
01-16-2017, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 with Tamron Adaptall 2 72B - 90mm f2.8 Macro

cool!

a couple from this weekend:

(I love this lens)
01-16-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
cool!

a couple from this weekend:

(I love this lens)
Nice bokeh.

01-16-2017, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-1 with Pentax-M 100mm f 4.0

I have just braved our 28 degree temperatures in my house shoes to get this snap. I love using Pentax-M lenses if only to enjoy their build quality, but the Pentax 100/4.0 is definitely a great performer in keeping with the evolving focus of this lens club.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Nice bokeh.

thank you...
01-16-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always valued my Tokina 90, the oldest still-in-use lens in my outrageous collection, although I confess it has fallen aside somewhat since I got the new 100 DA, an amazingly light and compact macro.
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I've always valued my Tokina 90, the oldest still-in-use lens in my outrageous collection, although I confess it has fallen aside somewhat since I got the new 100 DA, an amazingly light and compact macro.
My only "modern" macro is the D FA 50/2.8 macro, which doubles as a super sharp normal lens on the K-1. Well, I do have a Phoenix 100/3.5 AF macro. Your AT-X will be easy to sell if you really stop using it.
01-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My only "modern" macro is the D FA 50/2.8 macro, which doubles as a super sharp normal lens on the K-1. Well, I do have a Phoenix 100/3.5 AF macro. Your AT-X will be easy to sell if you really stop using it.
Considered that. I do have the 1:1 adapter and the original case, which is in pristine condition as I very rarely used it. I have tried the 1:1 on several other lenses (200 macro, 180 Voigtlander for example) and it works OK, but I'm not sure it's better on them than either an empty tube or even a close-up filter.
01-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Considered that. I do have the 1:1 adapter and the original case, which is in pristine condition as I very rarely used it. I have tried the 1:1 on several other lenses (200 macro, 180 Voigtlander for example) and it works OK, but I'm not sure it's better on them than either an empty tube or even a close-up filter.
I have heard that a simple extension tube works just as well, but have not tested the proposition. Please let me know if you ever decide to sell the extender as I am actively looking for one.
01-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard that a simple extension tube works just as well, but have not tested the proposition. Please let me know if you ever decide to sell the extender as I am actively looking for one.
No way I'd sell the extender separately from the lens.
01-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter

The AT-X 90/2.5 is an A-type lens

Well, not all Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro lensess (and this is true with the 1:1 macro Extenders as well) are "A-type" lenses -- because the lens was produced before and after the time that the Super Program / Super A came out (1983?), along with P/KA lenses to use with them, there are both P/K and P/KA versions of the Tokina "Bokina" out there in the wild.