Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Well, not all Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro lensess (and this is true with the 1:1 macro Extenders as well) are "A-type" lenses -- because the lens was produced before and after the time that the Super Program / Super A came out (1983?), along with P/KA lenses to use with them, there are both P/K and P/KA versions of the Tokina "Bokina" out there in the wild.
I had a Vivitar-branded 90mm macro in M-42 mount before I switched to K-mount. It was made to hold up small brick buildings. An excellent macro, possibly the same formula??

01-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
No way I'd sell the extender separately from the lens.
That is smart. I have seen pristine sets with both pieces, all original caps, etc., listed at $400+, mostly from Japanese sellers.
01-17-2017, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter

I had a Vivitar-branded 90mm macro in M-42 mount before I switched to K-mount. It was made to hold up small brick buildings. An excellent macro, possibly the same formula??

The Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro (and its 1:1 Macro Adapter) was a Tokina-made Vivitar macro, optically essentially identical, that preceded Tokina's own AT-X version of the lens (and its "Extender"). However, the several other Vivitar 90-105mm macro lenses were different critters.

And, BTW, if you look carefully at the particular Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 in the following image of these "optical twins separated by birth", you can see that it is a P/K-mount lens and not a P/KA-mount lens. In my experience, the P/KA copies of this Tokina lens are more common than are the P/K copies, but both are quite commonly found -- neither is the least bit unusual -- this is different from the VS1 version, where PK/A copies are non-existant, since production of them stopped before Pentax introduced the era of its P/KA Program bodies and lenses.

Last edited by fwcetus; 01-17-2017 at 07:53 AM.
01-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Well, not all Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro lensess (and this is true with the 1:1 macro Extenders as well) are "A-type" lenses -- because the lens was produced before and after the time that the Super Program / Super A came out (1983?), along with P/KA lenses to use with them, there are both P/K and P/KA versions of the Tokina "Bokina" out there in the wild.
Interesting to know more details about this classic lens. I am glad mine has the A feature as it comes in handy sometimes.

01-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Vivitar 90 f2.5 is precisely the lens I had, purchased to replace a 50mm f4 preset Takumar macro that was stolen. Never had the 1:1 adapter for it, but I never felt a need for it over the years I used that lens.
01-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am glad mine has the A feature as it comes in handy sometimes.

Same here (as in my current one has the convenient A contacts, etc.) -- in fact, I'd say that it comes in handy nearly all the time, since it makes for. easy (yes, lazy) metering with every shot.

[That AT-X lens in the photo above is a previous non-A copy that I used to have, along with a copy of the VS1 version (of which I no longer have any at all anymore).]
01-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
Site Supporter

That Vivitar 90 f2.5 is precisely the lens I had, purchased to replace a 50mm f4 preset Takumar macro that was stolen. Never had the 1:1 adapter for it, but I never felt a need for it over the years I used that lens.

I am guilty of not having had a reason to use the AT-X 1:1 extender since first getting the lens for the first time, where I used a few times just to see how it worked -- I guess that's to say I just about never feel the need to shoot with the lens at closer-than-1:2 distances.

01-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 with Tamron Adaptall 2 72B - 90mm f2.8 Macro

I'll throw some pictures into the thread:

also not bad as a portrait lens:

02-13-2017, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

I purchased a bokina (vivitar series 1 version) a few months ago but hadn't really gotten to play with it til today. Damn, does this thing deserve its reputation! Crazy sharp (and I didn't have a tripod, it was all handheld), great color, beautiful bokeh!

A couple quick samples of the lens without the 1:1 adapter, since I didn't bring that with me:

2017-02-13_144115_PENTAX K-3_K or M Lens_at_85 mm_¹⁄₁₆₀ sec_ISO 400 Handheld. This is moss on a twig maybe 1/4 the diameter of a pencil. This is pretty close to 1:2 reproduction ratio.

2017-02-13_150822_PENTAX K-3_K or M Lens_at_85 mm_¹⁄₂₀₀ sec_ISO 100-3-Edit This is a stack of two handheld images - one got the top of the shell and some of the bottom leaves in sharp focus, the other had most of the rest of the leaves in focus. And it's crazy sharp. Even at 1:1 crop (here and here).

I'm impressed, and very pleased with my purchase.
02-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used the Tokina 1:1 adapter on other lenses as an extension tubes. Tokina instructions say "never do this," but the results are sometimes fine.
The 90 f2.5 Tokina is good for some wildlife shooting, such as mice. Notice how the lens has recorded the black stye in the eye of the yellow fellow.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Couple closeups of dead garden flowers

K-1 with Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the second round with this lens for me. I had it on an Olympus film camera and it produced great shots including people. I have a K version on a K5 iis and it is wonderful for macro. I've had a bit less success in using it for portraiture but am still working on this. Anyway, two macro shots - one wide open to show off the bokeh and the other stopped down to show off the detail.

03-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 with Tamron Adaptall 2 72B - 90mm f2.8 Macro

couple of hand-held shots:

03-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
This club is dedicated to a single great lens, the Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 macro (1:2). The AT-X 90/2.5 is an A-type lens with excellent build quality, and it couples well with Pentax cameras even though it lacks AF. This is a very sharp lens with excellent rendering for macro but for much more including portraiture and landscape. All photographs with this lens are welcome for posting here. As for macro, the AT-X 90 has 1:2 capability, but an attachment is available to take the lens to 1:1. Macro photos using the attachment are especially welcome. This lens has the nickname of the Bokina because of the excellent background blur or bokeh that it produces, and photos showing off its bokeh capabilities are welcome as well. Postings on the history and development of the lens will also be welcome.
Glad to find this club... now I am waiting for Spring to come...
04-17-2017, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grass seed-head, multi-file stack. Original @ 1:2 (= the 1:1 adapter not used - lens focus extended as far as possible then focused with a rail). On a K5, the original was taken as a horizontal, cropped a lot off left & right, tiny bit from the top. The second two images are deeper crops from the first one.
Attached Images