Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

ULTRA wide lenses (only FF equiv 12mm or lower)

Given their very extreme viewing angles, here is a thread dedicated to the extreme end of ultra wide lenses.

Please only post images shot with lenses set at maximum 12mm FF equivalent (8mm APSC). No 14mm. No 15mm etc.

To start:

03-17-2017, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can play this game. These were taken on APS-C with the Rokinon 8mm.

03-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three all taken @ 10mm. The historic pedestrian suspension bridge in Maine was taken with a 10~17mm Pentax. The two church images, the first in Bristol, the exterior shot of flying buttresses taken in Edinburgh, were both done with a Sigma 10-20mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.
03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Fisheye distortion can be corrected to yield an even wider angle of view than any rectilinear lens. I wonder how edge sharpness compares?

03-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by obsolescence Quote
Fisheye distortion can be corrected to yield an even wider angle of view than any rectilinear lens. I wonder how edge sharpness compares?
I found that the difference left-right between my Sigma 8~16mm @ 8mm versus the 10~17mm @ 10mm is almost negligible. A 10~17mm @ 10mm defished is almost indistinguishable from an 8~16mm @ 8mm. The most noticeable difference IMHO is not right-left/top-bottom coverage, but rather that the fish eye seems to push back objects near the center of the frame a bit more. However, this is an informal impression, not a consequence of careful tests.
03-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by obsolescence Quote
I did a test of this once. . . With the gear that I had available at the time, the results came out very similar. I was surprised by that, but it seemed like digital correction and optical correction (with lens elements to make it rectilinear) did the same things to the image, and with the same shortcomings. The practical difference is that the rectilinear lens was huge and heavy! The fisheye gave me a small, lightweight, inexpensive lens that could perform double-duty, since I could choose to de-fish or not. But of course, I didn't get to see a rectilinear view when composing and shooting. I just had to imagine how it would come out if I de-fished it.

As for "an even wider angle of view than any rectilinear lens". . . Do you know that Voigtlander now make a 10mm rectilinear lens for Sony E-mount? Yes, with full frame coverage. Seems like black magic to me.
03-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I found that the difference left-right between my Sigma 8~16mm @ 8mm versus the 10~17mm @ 10mm is almost negligible. A 10~17mm @ 10mm defished is almost indistinguishable from an 8~16mm @ 8mm. The most noticeable difference IMHO is not right-left/top-bottom coverage, but rather that the fish eye seems to push back objects near the center of the frame a bit more. However, this is an informal impression, not a consequence of careful tests.
I posted this in the fisheye fever thread but I will post it here too. I agree with WPresto, the 10-17 and the Sigma 8-16 are very similar at their widest focal lengths. The 10-17 can be defished if you are careful with your technique. Keep anything out of the extreme corn 9th at you want to keep and keep the camera extremely level. The Lightroom profile does a pretty decent job on its own. The Sigma 8-16 pulls way ahead when shooting indoors in my opinion.

10-17 @ 10mm partially defished.

Sigma 8-16 @ 8mm. The light was rapidly changing at this time. It changed significantly between the two shots.

As you can see even the Sigma is 2mm wider the horizon appears farther away in the 10mm shot of the 10-17.

03-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma 8-16 @ 8mm, this shot would not have worked as well with the 10-17.

03-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Given their very extreme viewing angles, here is a thread dedicated to the extreme end of ultra wide lenses.

Please only post images shot with lenses set at maximum 12mm FF equivalent (8mm APSC). No 14mm. No 15mm etc.

To start:
A great idea for a thread Karl and a wonderful series you have here with the Laowa 12mm.

I've been interested in the Irix 11mm but the edge softness, distortion and CA compared with the Laowa has me leaning towards this lens instead. Particularly as the straight lines when shooting this wide makes this lens so compelling. Hopefully some Irix 11mm images will appear here soon too.

Tas
03-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I need to dig out my Sigma 12-24 pics taken with he K1 at 12mm.
03-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
A great idea for a thread Karl and a wonderful series you have here with the Laowa 12mm.

I've been interested in the Irix 11mm but the edge softness, distortion and CA compared with the Laowa has me leaning towards this lens instead. Particularly as the straight lines when shooting this wide makes this lens so compelling. Hopefully some Irix 11mm images will appear here soon too.

Tas
I've been frustrated that the Laowa-Venus 12mm in K-mount has been so slow reaching B&H. I feel like I'm back waiting for the FF Pentax.
03-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been frustrated that the Laowa-Venus 12mm in K-mount has been so slow reaching B&H. I feel like I'm back waiting for the FF Pentax.
Well it appears if they don't have one at the moment then it shouldn't take too long to get one in your hot little hands: Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D Lens for Pentax K VE1228PK

I don't have to rush, my K-1 is off with the service dept again for who knows how long, but hopefully you can get one ordered soon and post some images too.

Tas
03-18-2017, 05:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it appears if they don't have one at the moment then it shouldn't take too long to get one in your hot little hands: Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D Lens for Pentax K VE1228PK

I don't have to rush, my K-1 is off with the service dept again for who knows how long, but hopefully you can get one ordered soon and post some images too.

Tas
It says 7-14 days for more to arrive, but I've seen such a notice on a product for months.
03-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It says 7-14 days for more to arrive, but I've seen such a notice on a product for months.
Really? Well that's not good, but the OP seems to have one so maybe it can't hurt to ask?
03-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really? Well that's not good, but the OP seems to have one so maybe it can't hurt to ask?

I have a standing order for one @ B&H. Those who have one, including I think the OP, bought into the cloud funding before the lens went into production. I don't think any USA merchants, B&H, Adorama etc., have received any K-mount versions of the 12mm as yet.