Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Really? Well that's not good, but the OP seems to have one so maybe it can't hurt to ask?
I should comment here that I did participate in the kickstarter for this lens, so I got it earlier than general availability.
The filter holder (which allows 95mm screw in filters and 100mm square filters) just arrived about 3 weeks ago even though that also was part of the kickstarter.
So I guess they are a very small crew with limited production throughput.

The screw in polarizer I bought for 17 EUR works surprisingly well.

03-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have a standing order for one @ B&H. Those who have one, including I think the OP, bought into the cloud funding before the lens went into production. I don't think any USA merchants, B&H, Adorama etc., have received any K-mount versions of the 12mm as yet.
Righto, well that explains it.

I guess for the rest of us it's a case of heed Yoda's advice: patience you need huh?

Tas

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 22:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I should comment here that I did participate in the kickstarter for this lens, so I got it earlier than general availability.
The filter holder (which allows 95mm screw in filters and 100mm square filters) just arrived about 3 weeks ago even though that also was part of the kickstarter.
So I guess they are a very small crew with limited production throughput.

The screw in polarizer I bought for 17 EUR works surprisingly well.
Yes that just came to light, so thanks for confirming it. Clearly it was a good call on your behalf to participate in the kickstarter judging by what I'm seeing here and in the reviews appearing online. I look forward to shooting with this FoV some day and will practice being patient until then.

For now I hope you continue to feed this thread with some more of your work with this lens. Thanks again for the feedback.

Tas
03-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I need to dig out my Sigma 12-24 pics taken with he K1 at 12mm.
I would love to see those. I have considered this lens but K-1 images are pretty scarce.

Sigma 8-16, 8mm on the K3. Lighthouse on Lake Michigan, Grand Haven, Michigan. I would have backed up more but I was not in the mood for a swim.

03-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I would love to see those. I have considered this lens but K-1 images are pretty scarce.

Sigma 8-16, 8mm on the K3. Lighthouse on Lake Michigan, Grand Haven, Michigan. I would have backed up more but I was not in the mood for a swim.

I have pics of that too! Tiffany is from Spring Lake, and so when we go up there I always hit the lighthouses and pier. Thinking of doing a tour on the sub one day.

Here was a test shot messing around near Elsie MI at my aunt and uncle's place last July.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have pics of that too! Tiffany is from Spring Lake, and so when we go up there I always hit the lighthouses and pier. Thinking of doing a tour on the sub one day.

Here was a test shot messing around near Elsie MI at my aunt and uncle's place last July.
I lived in Grand Haven for a few years before I moved to Grand Rapids. Beautiful area just no jobs and I have no desire to drive hours every day to week. I was browsing online like I should not be doing. I found a new Sigma 12-24 on Ebay. Turns out it was in my Muskegon, my hometown, at the camera store where I originally bought my camera equipment. I took a little drive to try it out. Of course I came home with it. So now I'm trying it out on the K-1. So far it looks good. I'm not a pixel peeper or someone who gets hooked up on supreme sharpness.

The 12-24 vignettes heavily wide open at 12mm. Distortion seems well controlled for the most part if you are aware of composition. Luckily Lightroom has a lens profile for the 12-24 so it is easy to correct. For what it is worth my DFA 28-105 vignettes on my k-1 wide open too.

12mm, f11, 1/125s, ISO125 on the K-1, I choose this spot because there is alot going on.

12mm f11, ISO200, 1/200s

Yes you do have to stop the lens down and I am fine with that.
03-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I lived in Grand Haven for a few years before I moved to Grand Rapids. Beautiful area just no jobs and I have no desire to drive hours every day to week. I was browsing online like I should not be doing. I found a new Sigma 12-24 on Ebay. Turns out it was in my Muskegon, my hometown, at the camera store where I originally bought my camera equipment. I took a little drive to try it out. Of course I came home with it. So now I'm trying it out on the K-1. So far it looks good. I'm not a pixel peeper or someone who gets hooked up on supreme sharpness.

The 12-24 vignettes heavily wide open at 12mm. Distortion seems well controlled for the most part if you are aware of composition. Luckily Lightroom has a lens profile for the 12-24 so it is easy to correct. For what it is worth my DFA 28-105 vignettes on my k-1 wide open too.

12mm, f11, 1/125s, ISO125 on the K-1, I choose this spot because there is alot going on.

12mm f11, ISO200, 1/200s

Yes you do have to stop the lens down and I am fine with that.
I know exactly which one because that's where I bought mine. Bought my main tripod there too.
03-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know exactly which one because that's where I bought mine. Bought my main tripod there too.
I bought my Super Program there in 1986, however back then they were in Muskegon Heights where I grew up.

03-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12mm, 3s, f11, ISO100. I am actually standing right in front of the sculpture which is about 10 feet or 3 meters high. i had to use the self timer and walk away from the camera to keep my shadow out of the frame. I keep forgetting the K-1 has wifi.

06-12-2017, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #24

Hi for UUWA
I finally get Laowa 12mm in my hands 8 weeks of waiting.
it is great piece of metal and glass.
it is small:

And great:
f3/2
06-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #25

How wide is wide?
Fisheye F 17-28@17 versus Laowa 12mm Zero-D Both on K1

K1 + Laowa 12mm

K1 + F 17-28@ 17mm Fisheye

06-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #26

A good comparison would be to defish the fisheye shot using Raw processing software and apply radial gradient sharpening to the edges. If done properly, this will produce a usable image that has a much wider angle of view. These are two lens options that we can take advantage of, for distortion-free WA shots.

Note also, that the Laowa 12mm lens can be used with a T-S Adapter on APS-C cameras. Then we are not limited to having the horizon centered to maintain parallel verticals.
06-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by obsolescence Quote
A good comparison would be to defish the fisheye shot using Raw processing software and apply radial gradient sharpening to the edges. If done properly, this will produce a usable image that has a much wider angle of view. These are two lens options that we can take advantage of, for distortion-free WA shots.

Note also, that the Laowa 12mm lens can be used with a T-S Adapter on APS-C cameras. Then we are not limited to having the horizon centered to maintain parallel verticals.
TS adapter is available only for mirrorless as it they short flange distance.
ofc. you could modify image from fish but it always lossy in term of resolution and sharpness. I now learning how much I could "shift" lens in Capture 1. I've tried do same correction in DxO but it give me much more losse of resolution.
I envy canon 17mm T/S.
06-17-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes even an Ultra Wide Angle lens isn't even wide enough. Here is a stitch of Boston's Zakim-Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge from Paul Revere Park and shot the Z bridge. 5 shots stitched even with the Sigma at 8mm.

06-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Sometimes even an Ultra Wide Angle lens isn't even wide enough. Here is a stitch of Boston's Zakim-Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge from Paul Revere Park and shot the Z bridge. 5 shots stitched even with the Sigma at 8mm.
You are right but sometimes I prefer to have straight lines so what I could show is 3x 12mm panorama Straight only on building .
06-23-2017, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
I finally get Laowa 12mm in my hands 8 weeks of waiting.
Congrats. I did quite a bit of waiting myself as you can see from my thread here.. I'm on my second copy now and seems that quite a bit of my waiting was my fault or at least maybe not necessary.

Could you tell me a few things about your copy? (Same questions go out to anybody here who also has the Laowa 12mm)
1) Does it focus to infinity?
2) Does the focus ring stop at the infinity mark or extend past it?
3) Does your copy sit perfectly secure when attached to camera with no movement when using the focusing ring, or does it 'wiggle' or rotate a little bit back and forth? (Please visit my thread linked above if I am not making sense, since there is a video to demo the 'problem' or 'behavior' might be a better word)
4) Bonus question: Did your copy arrive with the lens in a vacuum sealed plastic wrap?

And since I don't like to post comments without also sharing an image, here's one using my first copy of the Laowa from back in April...

Got eaten alive by mosquitoes getting this shot...

---------- Post added 06-23-17 at 02:40 PM ----------

More Laowa fun. My filter adapter arrived last month from Venus after I had already shipped back my first copy of the 12mm to Adorama, so today is my first chance to try the adapter out. First shot with my ND1000 showed light leak, so I obediently applied the provided sticker strips to the inside of the adapter, so far so good. Went to slide the filter into the adapter and could hear a squeaky sound about half way through... Just my luck.

They shipped the adapter with four of these strips.. My first impression is they should have sent a hundred of them. Now to figure out how to best get this crap off the filter.

Last edited by todd; 06-23-2017 at 01:54 PM.