Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Not all that Zuiko-ey, but I think I've got the same TX mount Soligor 400mm f/6.3. It's slow, but performance is decent from wide open: Soligor 400mm Lens - a set on Flickr

I use a genuine Pentax m42 adaptor with the m42 TX mount because I already own several of them.

One of these days I'll get my act together, take a picture of the lens and write a review.

03-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Zuiko Lenses

Hi, just a quick question, if this is in the discussion I am sorry and you can tell me to find it. I am using a K20D and a K5 I have some great Pentax lenses, but from years ago I have a few OM2s and Zuiko lenses. Here are the lenses 100 F2.8 I always loved this lens. 28 f3.5, 135 f2.8, 300 f4.5, plus a vivitar series one 70-210 Macro, that I kind of like and a couple of other off brands with Zuiko mounts. I would love to use these on my Pentax cameras. It sounds like it may be possible, just curious as to what I would need to convert them and if it is possible for someone who is not a machinist type.
Thanks,
Rick
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Hi all,
I think I can handle this conversion. I do have one question, Not really sure what mount to get. I have a kx and I have two Zuiko lens. I have a 50 1.8 and a 35-105 3.5/4.5. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
wingman
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
Inactive Account

i'm so glad i came across this thread. i have a vivitar series one 100-500 lens for an om that someone told me it fit pentax on ebay then wouldn't answer my emails.this lens is hard to find and i'm i have been looking for a way to adapt it over to the kmount.before i started reading this thread i was looking for a way to mount an m42 adapter on to the lens. now i see.

04-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OM lens modification notes

It looks like there is some recent interest in these conversions, so here are some thoughts. The conversion is fairly simple for a person who has basic skills in the workshop. First remove the lens mount and find a clean place to work. You must cut away the bayonet from the mount without damaging the face of the mount. Masking tape can be used to protect the face. A hack saw or Moto tool can be used to do the bayonet removal. File the mount flush. Carefully orient the lens to the M42 adapter, so that the aperture numbers are properly positioned when the adapter, mount and lens are assembled and mark them. I glued the adapter to the modified mount with Gorilla glue and clamped them together with a vise or clamp. With the lens mount reversed, I used my drill-press to drill the holes through the adapter. The existing mount mounting holes worked as a guide. Then I drilled through the adapter on the bayonet side using the previously drilled holes as guides. These holes go through the adapter only and are the size of the counter sunk mounting holes in the mount. I found that a piece of stiff copper wire works well to hold the diaphragm lever in the manual position(see photo at the beginning of this thread). Install the modified mount and you are ready to take pictures. The thickness of the M42 adapter flange is exactly what is needed to allow infinity focus on a K mount camera.

Regards,Dave
04-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #36
Inactive Account

it is done. i have a new mount on the lens and it works just fine. thanks to everyone for the
information and the confidence.
09-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #37

I hope to join this club very soon. Will likely get a Leitax mount for an Olympus 90mm f/2 Macro. There aren't any instructions on the Leitax site specifically for this lens, but David Llado is thinking it's going to work fine.

For now, I'm testing the lens out with my C*non and hope to get it mounted on my Kx real soon. Can't wait!

05-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure how active this club is but I recently converted two lenses using the Leitax adapter: OM 400 f6.3 and OM 85 f2 I like the 85 f2 for indoor available lite people candids and I've just starting using the 400 f6.3 I've gotten some really outstanding pictures from the 400 and I've gotten a few I've been disappointed with. I feel the main problem is accurate manual focus. I just added a 1.3x magnifying eye cup and hope that helps. It appears lots of people are onto OM lenses for a variety of cameras and the prices are not always a bargain on eBay. Right now I am looking for both a 300 and 600 lens while I wait for the Pentax 560 announcement to see if it is in within my budget range.
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #39
Inactive Account

in this particular case most of us here were able to adapt the lenses by grinding the om hook up off and screwing a pk adapter for an m42 screw mount lens in it's place. whatever works.....
06-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I am thinking of converting another Olympus lens. I used the Leitax adapter on my first two and would like to try the method described in this thread of removing the OM adapter and "grinding" the OM hook up of and screwing a pk adapter for an M42 mount. I need some help - what is the "OM hook up" - does anyone have a picture.
06-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #41
Inactive Account

grind it flat.i guess that's the best way of saying it...
07-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
ZUIKO 50/1.8 on Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I recently converted an OM mount lens to a K mount. It was easy.

I removed the OM mount flange & replaced it with an m42->pentax K adapter (the kind with the flange).

I just drilled holes in the adapter to match the screw locations on the lens. Infinity focus is ok.
I think, that you must missed something in your description, because this way the aperture will be always open. Or you have another design of lens than I have.

Yesterday, i have finally done my conversion of ZUIKO 50mm 1.8 MC AUTO-S. It was my favorite lens from my Olympus age and I've always regretted that I can not use it on my Pentax bodies. But now, I can!
I have done it exactly same way as you. Removed top plate from mount, remove some parts from inside, drill holes in cheapo m42/PK adapter - but here is a catch. I need to secure some levers in positions to retain aperture close. I used black hard paper for it. It retain one lever in position and protect part around back lens part (and reduce reflection).
Now, I've done some testing, and I'm very pleased. This lens beat up DA 50 1.8. And from f5.6 is on par with my DA*50-135 in terms of sharpness (color rendition has better the star lens). And has really nice bokeh.

So, big thanks to all in this thread, because this has led me to using my beloved fifty again

Last edited by Jannis; 11-16-2014 at 03:53 PM.
10-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #43

Recently converted two manual film lenses from the early 1980's with Leitax converters:
- Zuiko Auto-Macro 50mm F3.5
- Zuiko MC Auto_T 300mm F4.5

The conversion was relatively easy. Have been anxious to do some trial images- but have not had enough quality time to get out and do so.

Auto-Macro 50mm F3.5 - Out-of-camera colors (via Pentax K-5 in LightRoom_5):

Same image processed using LightRoom_5 - Auto processing tool:
10-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Recently converted two manual film lenses from the early 1980's with Leitax converters:
- Zuiko Auto-Macro 50mm F3.5
- Zuiko MC Auto_T 300mm F4.5

The conversion was relatively easy. Have been anxious to do some trial images- but have not had enough quality time to get out and do so.

Auto-Macro 50mm F3.5 - Out-of-camera colors (via Pentax K-5 in LightRoom_5):

Same image processed using LightRoom_5 - Auto processing tool:
Very nice. I like my Zuiko lenses and the Leitax adapters
10-31-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #45

First images from the Zuiko Auto-T 300mm f4.5: Cross posted from the 300mm Plus lens thread.

Taken on different days- from across the White River as the setting sun lit up the windows of the high rise buildings of downtown Indianapolis.

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 12:55 PM ----------

Another couple of views taken on the same two days- using the Zuiko 50mm Macro F3.5 from the same location as the previous 300mm shots.

I recall that the Zuiko 50mm Macro F3.5 lens was reported by the manufacturer to be optimized for an image ratio 1:10. I'm going to test a bit further, but based on the above images I'm certain I'll lean toward using my Pentax FA Limiteds and Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 zoom for infinity focus images (better performance). And saving the 50mm Macro for a bit closer work where it is better optimized.