Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 323 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a Lensbaby shot taken at different apertures.

It might be used on the cover of a CD, but this is still up in the air.

The point of focus is the white highlight line between the glass and the selector switch.

f8.0 This almost looks as though it was taken with a regular lens.

f5.6 You can see the Lensbaby effect strongly here. What a difference between f8.0 and f5.6.

f4.0 Now serious moosh is setting in.

f2.0 This is the Lensbaby wide open. Super moosh.

I like the overall shot, but I'm going to re-do for a few reasons:

1.) I don't like the beer cases in the background.
2.) I feel the bottle in the photo is too tall and distracting; I might use a shorter bottle or remove it altogether.
3.) You can see the reflections of Christmas lights just below the highlight line.
4.) I may move the point of focus somewhere else.
5.) I may move the guitar so that it's more southwest to northeast in the shot.

So, which aperture do you like best?

Any ideas to improve on this picture are appreciated.

Don't be shy.

Mike

12-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful images Mike Bokeh! Hard to pick a favorite. Think I like F4 or 5.6 best. If I were putting it on cd maybe F4. Smaller amount of enlargement can be a little "mooshier" and still be fine. On an enlargement it could be too much. Sometimes you can get an interesting effect by doing multiple exposure with two different aperture discs (w/o changing camera position).

The tall bottle bothers me a little. Don't think a short one would be any better. Don't like the way the bottle bisects the guitar neck - ruins some of the Lensbaby's gradual move to blur. Not sure the bottle adds anything compositionally.

Christmas tree lights didn't bother me. Could be taken out in ps. Unless you are reshooting any way.

Like your concept and image. What cd are you shooting for?

Have you seen the video on Lensbaby website named "Snake Farm"? Great blues song set to incredible LB video. Can't even imagine being able to do this video with LB! Check it out.

Thanks for the kind comments about "Swingers".
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #36 in compact camera forum. Enter #37. B&W landscape. Any brand camera. Enter now!
12-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Here are two of the re-done shots.

Pentax DA70mm @ f2.4 @ 1/20 second.

Lensbaby with 1.5 teleconverter @ f4.0 @ 1/8 second.

Barondla, I took out the bottle altogether and framed the shot much more tightly.

When I re-shot, I made sure the Christmas lights were off. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist.

I used the DA70mm at a friend's suggestion.

Nothing said this shot had to be done with a Lensbaby, but that's what I had in my head. I'm going to try some shots with my 100mm macro, and see what I get with that.

I'm going to put this project on hold for a couple of weeks, because it's getting hectic with Christmas coming, and I want a little time for new ideas to build up.

As for the CD, it's for a friend's band, but it's not even definite if they're going to record the CD. They just asked me, because they know I'm into photography, and I liked the challenge. Even if they never record the CD, I have some nice pictures of one of my guitars, and another shot for my portfolio.

I'll check out that video at the Lensbaby site.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mike
12-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Damn! i had managed to shut up that little voice in my head that was urging me to get a lensbaby (had a crush on it since i discovered it in flickr in some really good shots..)..had managed to silence it and started saving money for a 8mm fisheye or a pack of three taks i saw on a craiglist...and then i started surfing this damn thread! There i got the little voice again!
The lensbaby seems so fun! and that two photos with the lensbaby and the 70mm DA limited didn't help much:P (the lensbaby sweet spot sure is sharp!).
Now i'm again in the turmoil of doubt..think that if the three taks are sold before i get the money the decision won't be much easier.. Don't know if i have to thank you all or swear at you !

12-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Coeurdechene! The Taks would be nice. So would the 70 DA (I have the 77) or the 8mm fisheye ( have the Pentax 10-17FE). This isn't going to help your decision. I use the LB Composer as much, probably more than both those lenses put together! The LB now allows so many different effects (not so true in its beginning). It really makes you think about images and their construction.

In the US you can return one for a refund in 30 days if not satisfied. Not sure if that works in your country. Check with the importer.

If you work with the LB you will be amazed at the images. It does take some work (similar to a fisheye). It is worth it.
thanks
barondla

Ps there is now a LB "how to book". Can't wait to get it. So much creativity.
12-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Here's another welcome too, Coeurdechene.

The Taks would be nice, as barondla said, but a Lensbaby will challenge your imagination.

Which version to get is up to you, but a Lensbaby will challenge your imagination every time you mount it on your camera.

I've had mine almost three years, and it's never boring when I use it.

I recommend a Lensbaby to everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Mike
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #202
Veteran Member

I'm looking into a composer (cheaper than the control freak and in wich you can put all the litle addons..), maybe the macro or the ultra wide angle adapters...there are so many interesting things besides of the lens itself (OMG LBA sneaking there too!!)..
thanks for the welcomes..we'll see if those taks still there when i get the money.

12-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Pentax K20D
Lens Baby 2.0 @ f4

12-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool image Mike Cash. Interesting use of selective focus to direct attention at magazine. Never saw a Japanese magazine before. Neat.
thanks
barondla
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Barondla - great eye for the composition on the swing!

Mike - very interesting to see all the effects of the apertures side by side! Kinda like f4 personally. And with TC, I find that both, 2.0 and Composer work exceptionally well!

Coeurdechene - imo, composer is an excellent choice, and I much prefer it to control freak, so much easier to use, and still very versatile.

Our first major snow started to fall last night, and still falling... Went for a walk in the snowy forest this morning. Composer/Plastic/f4:

Regards,
D
12-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind words Duh Vinci.

Your winter walk images are heavenly. Landscapes are tough to pull off with a lensbaby. Have seen very few I like - no matter who the photographer. Your last 4 images are absolute magic. The best LB landscapes I have ever seen. I am in awe. Wow. Go out and walk some more in the snow.
thanks
barondla

Agree that the Composer is the easiest LB to use. Tried the previous incarnation of the Control Freak (3G) and it was difficult to use. Sometimes it would let go when locked in at extreme angles. Like using Frankenstein's camera.
12-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Barondla - great eye for the composition on the swing!

Mike - very interesting to see all the effects of the apertures side by side! Kinda like f4 personally. And with TC, I find that both, 2.0 and Composer work exceptionally well!

Coeurdechene - imo, composer is an excellent choice, and I much prefer it to control freak, so much easier to use, and still very versatile.

Our first major snow started to fall last night, and still falling... Went for a walk in the snowy forest this morning. Composer/Plastic/f4:

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci, all your images are nice, but the two above should be on Christmas cards.

And while I've never used a composer, I can tell everyone that the 3-G, and its new incarnation, the Control Freak are difficult to use until you get used to them.

It took me a while to be able to know with any certainty that the image in the viewfinder would match the image I would later see on the computer screen.

This lens is a wild stallion that will throw you if you don't take your time focusing and placing the sweet spot just where you want it.

Since I bought my Lensbaby 3-G almost three years ago, I feel it's made me a better photographer, because this lens really slows you down and makes you make sure that everything in the viewfinder is as close to perfect as can be.

Lensbay - good cracker, GOOD CRACKER!

Mike
P.S. Opps; the two images did not come through in the quote.
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Barondla - thank you! You are too kind, Sir! That morning was enough cold for me, worth frozen fingers and few cups of Theraflu Specially in #4, standing directly in the bed of the stream in the freezing water, but still, worth it!

Mike, thank you! I do enjoy using this lens a great deal. There are times where I feel no other lens can convey what I'm seeing/feeling at the moment.

And you are right indeed, it took some time to get use to the "feel" for lensbaby in terms of what I was going to get as a final result vs. view finder, and each of the lenses and their inserts provide extremely unique appearance... But when you get use to them, I'm sure you both agree, what a joy!

And indeed, I can certainly agree with a level of appreciation for "slowing down" process these lenses force you to follow. What comes with this process is ability to look around, explore the scene/subject to a greater detail, and really think of the composition for the photo intended.

Controversial lenses indeed, some consider it as a toy, some love it, some hate it... Love for this lens in my heart indeed!

Regards,
D
12-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Damn curse you all!! you convinced me XD..
Now i know i NEED a composer and 1 or 2 accessories..
Those snow landscapes with plastic optic have a ghostly feel i just love.
i'm sure only the "sharp as a ceramic knife in all the image" and the "i need to see your pores" will hate this little marvel.
I personally think of all my photo equipment as a toy, something that is fun and i really enjoy using (a very expensive and fragile toy though:P)..
Now i have to scheme a way to convince my partner..she isn't too much into photography...damn! (there had to be some catch eh?).
01-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #210
Veteran Member

LOL Glad with can help to "support" your LBA, good luck with convincing part

This guy was a character... Composer with x2TC and CPL:

Regards,
D