Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Should I get the Lens Baby 2 or 3...The 3 is much more expensive.
Version 1.0 doesn't have MC or something like that, 2.0 does have MC and 3.0 has MC and can be locked into position. If you can afford it, get 3.0 or the next best would be 2.0

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Does anyone have either the telephoto or the macro kit for these?
I have the macro kit with 2.0 and works pretty well but it's a little more sensitive than usual. I'll post some images with the macro attachment soon.

08-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had Mike's foresight, I'd have bought the screw mount version... and I could use the tele extender & extension tubes.

Apart from the optical difference, 1.0 has friction fit aperture and 2.0/3.0 have magnetic aperture rings.
08-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The version 1.0 isn't as sharp optically as the version 2.0.
Secondly, changing aperture disks with the version 1.0 is kinda fiddly whereas the version 2.0 & 3.0 are better in this regard. I'd like the version 3.0 but it seems a little too much money compared to the version 2.0 that I already own.
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Lensbaby 2.0 macro kit, all at f/2.8

4x
View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP3025.jpg
Views: 15710
Size:  230.2 KB

10x
View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP3035.jpg
Views: 7779
Size:  219.8 KB

08-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots of pinhead! Wow.
Original LB has single element non coated lens. Very soft wide open and sharp at 5.6-8.
Model 2.0 & 3G are same exact optics. Both 2 element multicoated. Without aperture disk they are f2 vs 2.4 for original. 2.0 & 3G give very sharp sweet spot and soft remaining area. 3G can be used unlocked exactly like 2.0. Locked works good on tripod or if trying to shoot action/ repeatable shots. 3G also comes with more apertures (up to 22).

first shot with LBO (original). No aperture disk f2.4. Second with 3G at f4. Many benders want both lenses (or sub 2.0 for 3G).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
Attached Images

Last edited by barondla; 08-21-2008 at 12:18 PM.
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, I could see a 3G in my future... Excellent illustrations by the way, in addition to being interesting photos. And thanks for clearing up my confusion about the 3G - you can indeed use it the unlocked way, that's a great thing!
08-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Pentax K20D
Lens Baby 2.0

08-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yokohama's Central Grill

Pentax K20D
Lens Baby 2.0

08-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Should I get the Lens Baby 2 or 3...The 3 is much more expensive.

Ben
Benji, get the 3, you won't regret it.

As you know, a Lensbaby snaps back into its original position (closest focus) the moment you let go of it.

I don't know how people with the original Lensbaby or the LB2 hold the lens in place and release the shutter at the same time without the camera being on a tripod.

I know I couldn't do it.

I do like the look of the original; I wish they made a locking version of that one.

I would recommend this lens to anyone, it's very unique.
Lensbaby 3G @ f2.0

f2.8

f4.0

f4.0

Mike
08-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It occurred to me that another advantage of the 3G would be the ability to do long exposures, since both the bend and the focus can be locked into position. Don't know how one would go about focusing the shot in low light to begin with, but at least the option would be there.

Pentax K20D
Lens Baby 2.0

Roadside condom vending machine.
08-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It occurred to me that another advantage of the 3G would be the ability to do long exposures, since both the bend and the focus can be locked into position. Don't know how one would go about focusing the shot in low light to begin with, but at least the option would be there.
Mike, that's the main reason I bought the 3G; long exposures are something I do a lot of, and there's no way I could keep an orignal Lensbaby or LB2 steady during a long exposure.

This, and the fact that you can get repeatable, predictable results (a point they make in their 3G sales pitch) made the 3G the only LB I would consider.

I was a little disappointed with my first 50 or so Lensbaby shots, but then I got used to how to focus it and place the sweet spot where you want it.

I'm still not done testing it completely, as it gives a different look at f8.0 and higher, but I am so glad I bought this lens.

f4.0 @ 4 seconds

For this shot, I focused on the lights under the canopy instead of the people, as I thought they would probably move during a long exposure. They did.

Everyone buy a Lensbaby.

Mike
08-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I used to use tilt shift lenses a lot. I had the Canon 45 TS and the 90 TS. My only concern is re-focussing on each shot, as I would use the 3G for Fashion and Beauty shoots. Can the Lens Baby be used in this manner? Is re-focussing on each shot a problem i.e. time? Is it functionally similar to a MF lens once you have determined the focus point i.e. the eye for example. If I can adjust the focus relatively quickly on the focus point chosen, no problem. You see, the model will move slightly between shots and so would I by virtue of just changing my orientation slightly.

Thanks
Ben
08-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 3G in addition to the ability to lock the tilt and the (rough) focus into place also includes a fine focus feature which would probably be a necessity for the use you foresee for it, Ben. I think the other models, while fun to play with, would drive you a bit nuts in professional fashion shoots.
08-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm back again with more examples.

OK, here we have your standard, plastic, orange ice bucket.

I'll go backwards from f8.0 to f2.0 to demonstrate the magic of this lens.

The point of focus is the front top of the lid.
f8.0. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Ice bucket is in focus, pint glass is playing the supporting role.

f5.6 Mush is first detected.

f4.0 Now you can tell it's a Lensbaby. Hey, what's happening to the pint glass?

f2.8 Look at the image now - the pint glass is all but invisible!

f2.0 - wide open. Look at that beautiful, yet strange bokeh! The pint glass is reduced to a few rings! Even the point of focus isn't sharp. I think f2.0 should be used with extreme care, but unusual images are what this lens is all about.

Enjoy.

Mike
08-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I used to use tilt shift lenses a lot. I had the Canon 45 TS and the 90 TS. My only concern is re-focussing on each shot, as I would use the 3G for Fashion and Beauty shoots. Can the Lens Baby be used in this manner? Is re-focussing on each shot a problem i.e. time? Is it functionally similar to a MF lens once you have determined the focus point i.e. the eye for example. If I can adjust the focus relatively quickly on the focus point chosen, no problem. You see, the model will move slightly between shots and so would I by virtue of just changing my orientation slightly.

Thanks
Ben
Ben, I haven't used my Lensbaby for portraits/glamour yet, but I don't think it would be too much of a concern.

Once you have the focus set it's easy to see if your model's eyes have gone out of focus, and I would say that re-focusing shouldn't be that much of a problem, but then again if you have a fast-moving, lively model, it could be a problem.

If you buy a Lensbaby, you'll find that it's very different from all other lenses, and quickly adapt your shooting style/speed to its limitations, but I think you'll see that the results are well worth it.

I can't wait to get a nice portrait with mine, but I haven't been able to line up a model shoot so far this summer. I do have a 40th birthday party coming up, and there will be some attractive women there. It starts at 6pm, so here in New York in late August I'll have just about an hour to drag people outside before the light fades.

Wish me luck.

Mike