Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Some very interesting shots on this page.

Barondla - I love that - it looks like a drawing out of a child's story book.

07-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Klaus, very cool so see someone actually using 6x7!!!

Barondla - extremely atmospheric photo, almost as "someone's dream" I've been promising myself to learn the zone plate/pinhole optic, by using the set for a week or two, but somehow never got around it. Your results indeed inspiring, imagination can run wild, so some day soon I will mount it on!

As for LB on Olympus, I've been using PK adapted composer, and it is such great fit for my hands on that little camera! And indeed, good catch, I do use +4 Hoya diopters very often, not a true macro, but close enough.

Regards,
D
10-11-2012, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #348

fall shot

Haven't taken much time with my LB this summer so took it out for a walk the other day. I'm still trying to figure out whether a shot is 'good' or 'garbage', so comments would be helpful to me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Haven't taken much time with my LB this summer so took it out for a walk the other day. I'm still trying to figure out whether a shot is 'good' or 'garbage', so comments would be helpful to me.
This is definitely a good shot, canajuneh.

It looks like a painting, and photographs that look like paintings are among my favorites.

The background is fantastic.

Mike

10-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #350
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's great! Yes, really cool, painterly background- is that the Sweet 35? I love that lens. I can't seem to get in the groove with my Edge 80, though.
10-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #351

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. It is so useful to hear feedback from others.

I'm not absolutely sure what I used for this shot - my K 20 plus??????? I was out for quite a while and experimenting all the time. If I was more disciplned I guess I'd write down the accesories used for each shot! It was either the composer pro with a magnifying filter or the sweet 35.

I'll try to attach another shot from the same delightful part of the Sk forest. This is just a leaf that was curled up and reinded me of a canoe. I used a close up filter for this shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #352

Oooops - chose the wrong thumbnail. This is quite plainly a rose hip! Oh well - I'll try again.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #353
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. It is so useful to hear feedback from others.

I'm not absolutely sure what I used for this shot - my K 20 plus??????? I was out for quite a while and experimenting all the time. If I was more disciplned I guess I'd write down the accesories used for each shot! It was either the composer pro with a magnifying filter or the sweet 35.

I'll try to attach another shot from the same delightful part of the Sk forest. This is just a leaf that was curled up and reinded me of a canoe. I used a close up filter for this shot.
Canajuneh, I really love the backgrounds in the photos in posts 348 and 352.

They're so different-looking; almost semi-liquid in appearance.

If you could jot down the lens/accessory and aperture info on your next outing, I'd appreciate it very much.

Keep shooting.

Mike

10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #354

I have been thinking about the equipment used for the images I posted. #348 was deliberately shot towards the direction of the sun using Sweet 35.
I used a macro filter and a creative filter for #352. You can see what shape it had to the left of the leaf. The light was coming mainly from the left.

I am curious how much thought other people put into their Lensbaby images. Do you know ahead of time how each shot will look or do you count on luck?
10-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #355
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about the equipment used for the images I posted. #348 was deliberately shot towards the direction of the sun using Sweet 35.
I used a macro filter and a creative filter for #352. You can see what shape it had to the left of the leaf. The light was coming mainly from the left.

I am curious how much thought other people put into their Lensbaby images. Do you know ahead of time how each shot will look or do you count on luck?
Canajuneh, I'm an old school photographer.

I learned photography from a few books, and my father's 1950s era Konica rangefinder, and a hand-held meter.

Whenever I took photos, other than at a party, I would write down the frame number along with the aperture, shutter speed and flash settings if flash was used. I did this on the advice in one of the photography books I read.

It was a slow way to learn, but I'm glad I did this, because this method showed me which results I would get by using certain aperture/shutter speed combinations. This was the time when you would take a roll of photos, and then mail it away to be developed; you wouldn't see the results for at least a week, sometimes two. By doing this, I was able to form an image in my mind what a particular subject would look like when photographed at a particular aperture.

When I first used my Lensbaby 3G, I used it at maximum aperture.

When I saw how different the results looked using the various aperture disks, I shot a few hundred images of many subjects, and wrote down the exposure info to get an idea in my head what the image of a certain subject would look like taken at a certain aperture.

It took me about three months to get to like and appreciate what a Lensbaby could do.

When it comes to photography, I try to leave as little to chance as possible.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 10-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Ive been neglecting my lensbaby quite a lot. These are a couple i took using it this summer however they are not really using the lensbaby effect to the max but i was fairly happy with them.

10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Very nice indeed!
10-13-2012, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my Composer when it first came out. It seemed like the first model that made shooting "efficient". Used it extensively the first year and a half of having it, but have also been neglecting it since. Saw this thread and it made me want to get it out for a round or two.

Shot wide open, on K10d.

10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #359

Suddenly there is lots of action on this forum! I'm looking forward to seeing more. We can learn a lot from each other.

Discipline is definitely a weak spot for me - I KNOW I SHOULD write down what I do for each image - but the only times I actually done that I have lost the piece of paper.
10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From my days with B&W film and developing myself I learned to carry a little black notebook to take notes and exposure information down. I don't use it much any more, but I still have one in one of my camera bags. Sometimes that little notebook can be the best learning device I ever had.