Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
...I'm still not sure if I would ever want to. What is the desired effect? Blurry around the edges? Please enlighten me.
Zephos,

Your question is certainly valid, but I think only you can answer it... The best way I can respond is with suggestion to take a look at the entire thread and see for your self if you would ever want to use it?

Certainly not a lens for everyone, since it does not offer the "flat field of view"

Kind regards,
D

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 09:18 AM ----------

And more on the same winter theme... Same setup + Raynox:

Regards,
D

02-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #467
Veteran Member

And colors of the winter continues... Same setup + Raynox

Regards,
D
02-08-2015, 01:12 AM   #468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Klaus, Mike - thank you for your comments, you are much too kind!

I do enjoy what Lensbaby allows me to do more than any other lens... And in all honesty, if I had to have just "one" lens, it would be Lensbaby. Still on the same setup, and more "Colors Of The Winter"

Colors Of The Winter VI
by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Thank you for looking!

Regards,
D
I agree- keep posting! I like every one of them.

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 03:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I had a class mate that used a lens-baby. I'm still not sure if I would ever want to. What is the desired effect? Blurry around the edges? Please enlighten me.
There are many different styles of photography-as-art, and selective focus covers a number of them, with LensBabies kind of in their own class. I guess you either like the dreamy bokeh-rich gems that these lenses can produce, or not...
02-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #469
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I agree- keep posting! I like every one of them.

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 03:17 AM ----------

There are many different styles of photography-as-art, and selective focus covers a number of them, with LensBabies kind of in their own class. I guess you either like the dreamy bokeh-rich gems that these lenses can produce, or not...
Well said, shiner; Lensbabies are not for everyone.

I bought mine, the old Lensbaby 3G, back in January, 2008, and I experimented with it for three months, and was not happy with the results I was getting, and was thinking of selling it.

Sometimes, procrastination pays off, as it did in this instance.

I didn't sell it, and kept playing around with it until I understood how differently a Lensbaby sees things or rather how it offers its interpretation of an image to you.

I am very glad I didn't sell mine.

The newer Lenbabies are easier to use than the one I have.

They actually have an F stop ring you turn, whereas my 3G had aperture discs which you place in front of the lens and are held in place by magnets. A very slow process, but since I mainly use my Lensbaby for still life shots, it doesn't bother me.

Adorama is having a sale on Lenbabies until 2/13/15.

Take a look. Lensbaby DSLR Lenses & Film SLR Lenses | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

Lensbabies take some getting used to, but they are well worth the effort.

Mike

02-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb images Duh_Vinci. Always inspirational. As everyone says keep posting.

Mike Bokeh, I also like the optics with the aperture inserts. They allow you to mess with the bokeh. Can't do that with my Sweet 35 lens. I need to shoot and post more LB shots.
thanks
barondla
04-19-2015, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #471
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to get this thread going again

I have thought about getting myself a 'baby for a while, and the shots in this thread helped convince me it was a good idea. This weekend I found a Composer (not Pro) for a nice price. It sure takes some time to get the hang of this lens - or rather this lens concept. I'm already getting better at placing the sweetspot, but often find it easiest to point the lens at the ground and, in live view, get the spot placed where I want it in the frame, then frame the shot and focus.

Here's one of the first shots I made on the way from the shop. The red LED traffic light is completely off in colour, but the reflection in the hood around the light is properly red. I've decided that I don't like LED lights in my photographs

04-19-2015, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #472
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The Lensbaby can also "miniaturise" with the best of tilt lenses...

Didn't quite nail the focus on this one, but I like it anyway because the path helps leading the eye.

04-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I have thought about getting myself a 'baby for a while, and the shots in this thread helped convince me it was a good idea. This weekend I found a Composer (not Pro) for a nice price. It sure takes some time to get the hang of this lens - or rather this lens concept. I'm already getting better at placing the sweetspot, but often find it easiest to point the lens at the ground and, in live view, get the spot placed where I want it in the frame, then frame the shot and focus.

Here's one of the first shots I made on the way from the shop. The red LED traffic light is completely off in colour, but the reflection in the hood around the light is properly red. I've decided that I don't like LED lights in my photographs
The Lensbaby can also "miniaturise" with the best of tilt lenses...

Didn't quite nail the focus on this one, but I like it anyway because the path helps leading the eye.
Great stuff!
04-19-2015, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #474
Veteran Member

Very nice! And congrats on the new purchase! Look forward seeing your work!

And for PRO vs. Standard Composer: pro is a little better built, but at the end, accomplishes exactly the same - allows you to create a unique photograph. Use it and enjoy it!

Regards,
D

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

Tilt Transformer (native optics)

Regards,
D
04-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #475
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Great stuff!
Thanks! This baby's got a learning curve.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Very nice! And congrats on the new purchase! Look forward seeing your work!

And for PRO vs. Standard Composer: pro is a little better built, but at the end, accomplishes exactly the same - allows you to create a unique photograph. Use it and enjoy it!

Regards,
D

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

Tilt Transformer (native optics)

Regards,
D
Beautiful colours! I try to learn from your ability to find gorgeous light.

And yeah, I did consider the Pro, but couldn't see that the slightly smoother controls was worth double the price.

Now I need to find the right tools to get out the double glass optics and see if I can make use of different optics in the LB...
04-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #476
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A different approach to cat pictures

04-20-2015, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #477
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

And a few tree shots, putting me in danger of defining myself as artsy

04-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #478
Veteran Member

A different approach to cat pictures
Certainly a different animal =) Great focus and bokeh!
And a few tree shots, putting me in danger of defining myself as artsy

Very nice B&W, looks like the "learning curve" you mentioned earlier is not as steep for some people

Regards,
D
04-20-2015, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #479
Pentaxian

baby moon

Composer Pro, Sweet35, K-S2
04-22-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #480
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Composer Pro, Sweet35, K-S2
Nice, so the Swett35 knows how to flare as well Might be a bit too close to summer for me to try any real night shots in a while, but looks tempting.

Having a flip-out must be perfect for using the LB at awkward angles, such as down low. But no, I won't buy a K-S2

More lens flare!

Double Glass at f/2