Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 323 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beeldmark Quote
Thanks. Its “tilt shifty” indeed, but only a relatively small spot will be in focus. Where in the picture, you can influence yourself by moving the front element.

In the first picture, the left eye ( i mean the dogs right eye which is on the left of the picture) is in focus, while the right eye isnt, even though the distance to the lens is the same.

In the second picture a part of the mouth as well as the eye are in focus and sharp even when other areas the same distance are not.

But I like that its not so obvious in the pictures, because I dont want them to be about the lens, but about what i photograph, or try to convey. ( which is only “ nice dog isnt it” in these pictures, bythe way ;-). )
Yeah, great stuff. I think when the tilt is obvious it's not as good as when it's more subtle (like most things in life I guess, same with HDR images imo, gentle good, harsh bad).

The other lens I've quite keen on is this one, the Burnside 35; Kathleen Clemons Photography: Lensbaby's Burnside 35!

Basically like a 56 velvet but you can toggle the swirl a fair bit. Neat...

09-07-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Twilhelm, and Bruce: thank you for the compliments on my photo. It was very kind of you both.

I've been out of the loop for a week or so, and wasn't checking my e-mail.

Bruce, what is that yellow flower with the blue center?

It's very pretty.

Thanks again, guys, and sorry I was so late to reply.

Mike
09-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Twilhelm, and Bruce: thank you for the compliments on my photo. It was very kind of you both.

I've been out of the loop for a week or so, and wasn't checking my e-mail.

Bruce, what is that yellow flower with the blue center?

It's very pretty.

Thanks again, guys, and sorry I was so late to reply.

Mike
Purple one with blue centre is just a purple daisy, an Osteospermum.
09-09-2018, 03:07 AM - 2 Likes   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duos

(velvet 56)

Curls

(velvet 56 processed with VSCO Mobile Presets P3 1/2).

09-22-2018, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No one else got any shots to share? Oh well... hope you don't mind me spamming some more?

09-25-2018, 02:57 AM   #546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@BruceBanner you are really making that Velvet 56 sing. Nice work!
09-25-2018, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
@BruceBanner you are really making that Velvet 56 sing. Nice work!
Thank you! I really really like this lens. I don't know if I'm repeating myself here but there are many shots that I take that are an acceptable level without needing any post processing at all. I've rarely felt that way about any lens I've stuck on my K1! Of course I tinker and mess around in pp, but really nice results can be had straight from the camera.

I also think the reviewers of this lens don't understand at all where it's strengths lie. Far far too many f1.6 and f2 shots, when in reality I rarely dip below f2.8, with f4 and f5.6 being solid performers. I don't think I've really submitted a single f1.6 shot yet, yet this is the aperture you see most reviewers submitting images of, and the velvet softness is just too extreme for many of those situations it was used in. So the lens gets labelled as only this milky hazey effect when in reality it can do so much more than just that.

I'm looking forward to getting another lensbaby in the future, not sure what I will go for next but deciding is half the fun

Here's some more pics;

09-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #548
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I really really like this lens.
But the edge to edge sharpness, man, where's the edge to edge sharpness?!

Some really inspiring images you present here. Thanks for sharing!
09-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But the edge to edge sharpness, man, where's the edge to edge sharpness?!

Some really inspiring images you present here. Thanks for sharing!
Haha yeah, I'll have to try some more shots at f8 and f11 as I think the edges become sharper and less bokeh swirly (but where's the fun in that )
09-28-2018, 05:56 PM - 4 Likes   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-01-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes I enjoy them
hehe

----

Here's a first for me, a 5 layer stack with the Velvet 56. The centre of the flower is f5.6, and we're running various apertures towards the edges which are f1.6. The idea was to get a slow blend from sharp to velvety bokeh
The shots were also pixelshifted.
This took way too long in PS, I need to learn to mask quicker and better for a task like this which should be fairly straight forward;

10-07-2018, 01:58 AM - 4 Likes   #552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rustlings Garden;

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9
10-10-2018, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #553
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Here's a first for me, a 5 layer stack with the Velvet 56. The centre of the flower is f5.6, and we're running various apertures towards the edges which are f1.6. The idea was to get a slow blend from sharp to velvety bokeh
The shots were also pixelshifted.
This took way too long in PS, I need to learn to mask quicker and better for a task like this which should be fairly straight forward;
I can imagine stacking 5 PS images might eat some resources... You're obviously more patient than I am, but hey, it works

Always interesting to get a glimpse into people's workflow, btw, so thanks for sharing.

Here's a straight forward shot with the old Double Glass 50 in a Composer at f/2. Basic adjustments in LR, then pulled through Color Efex (Skylight filter, Detail extractor on the main subject, Pro Contrast, Tonal Contrast, Darken/Lighten Centre x 4 <- most of that is in a recipe).

10-13-2018, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #554
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rustlings Garden

Image 10
10-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Velvet 56