Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Pentax-A 120mm f 4.0 on the K-1

Here are a few shots on the K-1 and Pentax-A 120mm f 4.0. I traded away my Pentax-FA 120mm to get the Pentax-D FA 645 90mm, but kept the A version, which I like just about as well since I generally use manual focus on macro lenses any way. Also, the A version of this lens seems easier than most to achieve a quick and accurate manual focus--just one of the reasons this lens is absolutely one of my favorite for adaptation to the K-1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoying this thread, although it's a dangerous thread to follow, given your impressive collection of Pentax 645 lenses and my LBA, slumbering now but ever ready to awaken. My Mirex adapter arrived in the mail a couple of days ago, and I'll get to try it out when I get home tomorrow.

One thing I've long been curious about is how the A and FA 200/4 lenses compare; hard to find much info. I have the A and am happy with it, but the FA is a different formula. Do you have the FA?
11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Enjoying this thread, although it's a dangerous thread to follow, given your impressive collection of Pentax 645 lenses and my LBA, slumbering now but ever ready to awaken. My Mirex adapter arrived in the mail a couple of days ago, and I'll get to try it out when I get home tomorrow.

One thing I've long been curious about is how the A and FA 200/4 lenses compare; hard to find much info. I have the A and am happy with it, but the FA is a different formula. Do you have the FA?

I had the FA 120mm, but traded it in for the Pentax-D FA 645 90mm lens,but still have the 120mm/A version. The A version suits me just fine for sharpness and manual focus. It seems to focus easily. I cannot detect any significant differences in image qulity between the A and the FA versions.
11-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the A120 too. Was wondering about the 200mm lenses. I gather that the FA and A versions of the 120 macro are optically the same (or nearly), whereas the 200mm cousins are definitely based on different optical formulae, 4 elements in 4 groups for the A; 6 elements in 5 groups for the FA. The FA has a shorter MFD. The A is lighter, and has a built-in hood. I like the A 200, but am curious about the FA.

11-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax-A 200mm vs Pentax-FA 200mm

I have the A120 too. Was wondering about the 200mm lenses. I gather that the FA and A versions of the 120 macro are optically the same (or nearly), whereas the 200mm cousins are definitely based on different optical formulae, 4 elements in 4 groups for the A; 6 elements in 5 groups for the FA. The FA has a shorter MFD. The A is lighter, and has a built-in hood. I like the A 200, but am curious about the FA.
You make a very good point. The A-120mm is very similar to the FA-200mm, and I am happy to own the A version over the FA version. In fact, I just gave up the FA-120 as a part of a trade in order to acquire the D FA 90mm.

The A-200mm and FA-200mm is a different situation. The A-200 has received a good deal of negative attention, as seen in the Forum lens reviews. However, the FA--200mm is quite different and much better than the A version. The differences are pretty well documented in the Forum lens reviews, and need not be repeated here. I would just add that I have both of these lenses, and much prefer the FA version. In fact, it is an outstanding lens, but for me a bit of an awkward focal length--fairly long for a portrait lens and somewhat short for the usual long lens uses such as bird photography. I do find it a useful lens for capturing images in inside events such as graduations, concerts, and other large-scale events.

Hope these comments will be helpful to you.
11-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Hope these comments will be helpful to you.
Helpful to my LBA, certainly.

The FA 200 is pretty reasonably priced and I might just pick one up. I like the 200mm field of view on full-frame 645; I can see it would be in-between for a lot of things on a D or Z.
11-23-2017, 03:00 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the Mirex adapter; I don't have a K-1 (quite) yet so just the gear shots for now, with a K-5 standing in for the K-1:

Lens-facing side on left. The spring puzzled me for a bit; it's to catch the diaphragm actuator and stop down the lens (unlike with K-mount lenses, the Pentax 645 actuator defaults to open). The bronze-colored flange at left is the lens release lever.
Camera-facing side on right. The shift mechanism is at top; press on the lever and slide the lens or camera to the side. The toothed flanges on either side are for rotating the lens to change the tilt and shift axes. They are a challenge to operate when the adapter is on the camera and a lens is attached.

Side view showing the tilt dovetail mechanism. On the other side there's a set screw to lock down the tilt, and another screw for setting the tension. The set screw gets in the way of rotating the adapter (it can hit the grip and/or the flash/prism hump, depending on the camera) so it's good there's the tension adjustment; you don't really need the set screw. Note the tripod foot, with Arca/Swiss-compatible dovetail.

FA 75 adapted to the K-5, fully tilted (top) and fully tilted and shifted (bottom)

11-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Here's the Mirex adapter; I don't have a K-1 (quite) yet so just the gear shots for now, with a K-5 standing in for the K-1:

Lens-facing side on left. The spring puzzled me for a bit; it's to catch the diaphragm actuator and stop down the lens (unlike with K-mount lenses, the Pentax 645 actuator defaults to open). The bronze-colored flange at left is the lens release lever.
Camera-facing side on right. The shift mechanism is at top; press on the lever and slide the lens or camera to the side. The toothed flanges on either side are for rotating the lens to change the tilt and shift axes. They are a challenge to operate when the adapter is on the camera and a lens is attached.

Side view showing the tilt dovetail mechanism. On the other side there's a set screw to lock down the tilt, and another screw for setting the tension. The set screw gets in the way of rotating the adapter (it can hit the grip and/or the flash/prism hump, depending on the camera) so it's good there's the tension adjustment; you don't really need the set screw. Note the tripod foot, with Arca/Swiss-compatible dovetail.

FA 75 adapted to the K-5, fully tilted (top) and fully tilted and shifted (bottom)

That one looks nice, looks tempting for a tilt shift

11-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Great photos and explanations, very helpful.
11-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-1 with Pentax 67 75mm f 4.5.

Couple of early morning shots with K-1 and Pentax 67 75mm f 4.5 with adapter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-01-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-1 with adapted Pentax 67 200mm f 4.0

From frosty early December morning . . .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 with adapted Pentax 67 200mm f 4.0
From frosty early December morning . . .
Nice! The lens certainly shows well here. Fair bit of longitudinal CA with the wide open shots but that is to be expected. How do you find this lens to stack up next to the FA 645 200?
12-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice! The lens certainly shows well here. Fair bit of longitudinal CA with the wide open shots but that is to be expected. How do you find this lens to stack up next to the FA 645 200?
Thanks for the comments. I have not used the 645/200 very much, just the A version which is not among my favorites. I have only recently acquired the FA version, with a different optical formuation, and have not yet taken the opportunity to put it through its paces. It does get excellent reports, however, and I am looking forward to seeing for myselfd.
12-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Few shots on rainy morning with 150mm

Here are a few rainy morning photos with the K-1 and the A version of the 150mm. I do not yet own the FA version, but plan to get it one day soon.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a few rainy morning photos with the K-1 and the A version of the 150mm. I do not yet own the FA version, but plan to get it one day soon.
Nice work with what might be my most used lens on 645. I especially admire #2 from this set.