Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
All the great images on this thread made me bring the K-1 and both the 645 LS 75 and the FA35 on todays hike. Usually I leave this camera at home because of the Aspect ratio, but it was a nice change.

Those two lenses appear to be living up to their stellar reputations. Nice landscapes.

01-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Those two lenses appear to be living up to their stellar reputations. Nice landscapes.
Thankyou. They are definitely a couple of great lenses, especially the 75 LS.
01-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Thankyou. They are definitely a couple of great lenses, especially the 75 LS.
Interesting that you feel the LS version is especially good. I note that all three 75s (LS, A, and FA) have the same construction formula--6 elements in 5 groups. I have always assumed that their optical performance would be the same, but I have never checked on it. I agee that the LS is indeed a great standard lens even though it is less convenient to use as a standard lens than the A or FA versions because of lack of an A ring or autofocus.
01-12-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some captures on K-1 with Pentax 67 55mm f 4

The Pentax 67 55mm f 4 is one of my favorite medium format lenses. Here I am capturing a few winter scenes and a flower from a bouquet. In gardening season, I use it for flowers on both the K-1 and the 645D. The lens looks a little like one of those big old-fashioned syrup buckets hanging off the K-1 and it is a little heavy, but the image quality makes the effort worthwhile for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-16-2018, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one from a different 55, the Pentax-A 645 55/2.8:

I had inadvertently left the camera on ISO 1600 from an earlier session, but the extra noise isn't a problem.
01-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Here's one from a different 55, the Pentax-A 645 55/2.8:

I had inadvertently left the camera on ISO 1600 from an earlier session, but the extra noise isn't a problem.
Something must have gone wrong--cannot see a photo. Oops, ok, your photo finally popped to life but I am not sure what I am looking at--leaf, timber or something else. Any way, very interesting texture and color.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 01-16-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added information.
01-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am not sure what I am looking at--leaf, timber or something else. Any way, very interesting texture and color.
It's the weathered sandstone surface of Checkerboard Mesa, with a few sticks scattered about.

01-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the weathered sandstone surface of Checkerboard Mesa, with a few sticks scattered about.
Nice, this closeup it becomes somewhat abstract.
01-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #84

Hello all,
I am shooting with the K-S2 and K1, mostly older lenses. M's, A's and just started with the M42's. Was wondering if there was an advantage in the 645 A's on the K-1? I have to be pretty thrifty and noticed decent pricing on some of the 645 A's I've come across. I shoot because I love it and to make a few extra dollars. In particular I'm trying to find the best lens for shooting old structures in good light and then portrait's as a secondary. Is there an advantage with pairing the 645 lenses to the K-1 or just stick with the K and M42? I love a lot of the photos shared here and figured if anyone knew I'd find an educated answer here.
01-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stark Raving Mad Quote
Hello all,
I am shooting with the K-S2 and K1, mostly older lenses. M's, A's and just started with the M42's. Was wondering if there was an advantage in the 645 A's on the K-1? I have to be pretty thrifty and noticed decent pricing on some of the 645 A's I've come across. I shoot because I love it and to make a few extra dollars. In particular I'm trying to find the best lens for shooting old structures in good light and then portrait's as a secondary. Is there an advantage with pairing the 645 lenses to the K-1 or just stick with the K and M42? I love a lot of the photos shared here and figured if anyone knew I'd find an educated answer here.

Very good question. Price, value, and image quality are advantages with many of the lenses. Disadvantages may include lack of auto-focus, greater size and weight, and lack of shooting modes. With 645 and 67 lenses on your K-1 and S2, you will only be able to shoot in M and AV modes. Image quality is generally quite good as you are only using the center of the larger lens where image quality is always at its best. One thing to bear in mind is field of view (FOV), which will be different for a medium format lens when mounted on full frame or crop sensor cameras. Take the 645/55mm, for example. Its FOV on the 645D or Z is approximately equivalent to that of a 34mm wide-angle K-1 lens. However, if you mount the 645/55mm on the K-1, the FOV constricts to approximately 88mm, which is short telephoto territory. This means obviously that you have to select the 645 or 67 lens based on what FOV you wish to attain.

In my experience, the 67/55mm is a great lens for my flower photography, as is the 645/120mm macro lens. For portraiture there are lots of choices--the 45mm, 55mm, 75mm all ought to work on the K-1 or S2, though they would be a little longer on the S2.

Shooting structures may be more difficult because you need a wide angle lens, and very few of these lenses will remain wide angle when mounted on the K-1 or the S2. The excellent 645/35mm, for example, becomes a normal lens equivalent at something like 55mm. A better alternative would be something like the Penax-DA 10-17mm f 3.5-4.5 fisheye, which is almost rectalinear at around 15-17mm and can be defished in post processing if desired. It is a crop sensor lens, but still can be used on the K-1 in the 14-17mm range with hardly any vignetting.You can also use it in crop mode on the K-1, of course, or shoot in square format if you have updated the K-1 firmware.

I hope these comments will be helpful.
01-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the advantages of pairing Pentax 645 lenses and the K-1 are that I already own the lenses, that I gain tilt/shift function with the Mirex adapater, and that I can easily carry a mixed film/digital kit (645 film, K-mount digital) sharing lenses. But, other than the 120 macro, I see no advantage to the 645 lenses per se. They work well, but so do the old K-mount lenses, which are smaller and lighter (and, in most cases, faster max aperture), and easier to use on the K-1.
01-17-2018, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For me the advantages of pairing Pentax 645 lenses and the K-1 are that I already own the lenses, that I gain tilt/shift function with the Mirex adapater, and that I can easily carry a mixed film/digital kit (645 film, K-mount digital) sharing lenses. But, other than the 120 macro, I see no advantage to the 645 lenses per se. They work well, but so do the old K-mount lenses, which are smaller and lighter (and, in most cases, faster max aperture), and easier to use on the K-1.
My experience is pretty much the same as yours. If I could only use one 645 lens on the K-1, it would be the 120mm macro, which is a fantastic match up. I like it as a macro better than several other K-mount macros in my collection.

I will just add one other point about using 645/67 lenses on the K-1, and that is the fact that you gain all the great K-1 capabilities that are missing on the Pentax 645D and Pentax 67--SR, for example.

I should confess that much of my use of these lenses on the K-1 and K-3 is simply experimental playing around, more equipment curiosity than improved image quality.
01-17-2018, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Slight crop from the FA 645 75/2.8:

01-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #89

Thank you for all the feedback! I greatly appreciate the information and assistance. One day I hope to get into the 645 digitals. So I'll just keep plugging away with my old primes for now, but as the occasion permits I'll be picking up some of the old 645 and 67 lenses!
01-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I love using the 645 75mm on the k-1, but has anyone compared the 645 75 mm and the fa 77mm limited on the k-1? Im curious on how similar they are image quality wise to each other.