Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carl Zeiss Jena medium format lenses on K-1 and 645D

I have recently acquired CZJ Sonnar 180mm/2.8, Arsat 30mm/3.5, CZJ 120mm/2.8, and Practicar 500mm/5.6 with inexpensive adapters to use these lenses on both the K-1 and 645D. I would appreciate any comments, cautions, or suggestions from others who have used these lenses on the K-1 and/or 645D/Z or even smaller formats such as K-3.

02-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That 500, 180 and 30 mm look intriguing. I cant wait for the sample images especially on the 645d.

02-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #3

Sonar is very heavy and quality is not different/better compared with, let's say 135/2 from Samyang. I cam say that color and sharpness are very good, however, you need pacience to work with and nail the focus. I tested 180, 120, 90, 80, 45 mm on K1. I mostly like 90/120 and then 180.

For using them on digital medium format, cannot say. I used them on film only and they are very good.
02-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #4

I have a bunch of Pentacon Six mount lenses that I've tried on the Z ...see below.

Various focal lengths
300mm lenses

Bob

02-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Arsat 30mm/3.5
I recall these are made in Ukraine - these lenses often had quality control issues. Good copies are said to deliver performance that rivals more expensive options.

CZJ Sonnar 180mm/2.8
I have heard pretty good things about this lens, the design has a solid reputation on 35mm.
02-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I recall these are made in Ukraine - these lenses often had quality control issues. Good copies are said to deliver performance that rivals more expensive options.

I have heard pretty good things about this lens, the design has a solid reputation on 35mm.
Thank you for your comment. According to my understanding, the Arsat 30s and Practicar were made in Ukraine, but the Carl Zeiss Jenas were made in the original Zeiss factory in Jena, East Germany, hence the use of "Jena" in the lens name inscription appearing on the lens. I am hoping to produce some images worth posting once our snowy winter goes away!

---------- Post added 02-07-18 at 07:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
I have a bunch of Pentacon Six mount lenses that I've tried on the Z ...see below.

Various focal lengths
300mm lenses

Bob
Thank you for sharing these images. They are encouraging even though I cannot tell exactly which image was produced by a specific lens.
02-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Photos with Pentax 645D and CZJ Sonnar 180mm f 2.8.

A few snow shots around the front yard of my country home with the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8. I think the lens offers good clarity and subject isolation, though these photos are far from conclusive of its general quality.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
02-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Thank you for sharing these images. They are encouraging even though I cannot tell exactly which image was produced by a specific lens.
The lens type and aperture info are below each image....maybe you need to scroll down a little.
02-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
300mm comparisons

Various focal lengths
300mm lenses

Bob
Thanks for sharing Bob. To my eye, the two Pentax lenses are best,the 645mm f 4, which I happen to own, and the 67 300mm, which I do not have. What say you?
02-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing Bob. To my eye, the two Pentax lenses are best,the 645mm f 4, which I happen to own, and the 67 300mm, which I do not have. What say you?
I agree. I had the 67 300/4 before the FA-300/4 and can't choose between them. The Kilfitt 300/4 has the ability to focus very close and I think it comes into its own for quasi-macro shots.
02-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
300mm comparisons

Various focal lengths
300mm lenses

Bob
Thanks for sharing Bob. I found the descriptive text.

To my eye, with the set of 300mm lenses the two Pentax lenses are best,the 645mm f 4, which I happen to own, and the 67 300mm, which I do not have. What do you think?

On the various CZJ lenses, I see lots of fine images, but my eyes (and discriminatory skills) are not good enough to make very many valid comparisons. I have heard the 50mm Flektagon described as sharp in center but not at the edges. However these images look sharp all the way. I have the CZJ 12mm and the 180mm, but not the others. Did you reach any specific conclusions based upon these images?
02-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #12

I like the quality from 180 and the 120 is very useful as it's not too bulky. The 50 and 65 are essentially the same design but my 65 is pretty desperate when compared to the 50....perhaps mine's a dog. The 80 Biometar is about the same size as the FA-645 75 and does a reasonable, but not overly exciting, job for what was a mass produced kit lens.
02-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 80 Biometar is about the same size as the FA-645 75 and does a reasonable, but not overly exciting, job for what was a mass produced kit lens.
Out of my 50mm 1:4, 80mm 1:2.8 and 180mm 1:2.8 (old), the 80mm still has the most distinct rendering on small formats. At f/2.8 it lacks a little contrast and CAs are fairly heavy, but at f/4 it often produces a nice accentuated in-focus rendering.
02-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Thank you for your comment. According to my understanding, the Arsat 30s and Practicar were made in Ukraine, but the Carl Zeiss Jenas were made in the original Zeiss factory in Jena, East Germany, hence the use of "Jena" .
The Arsatwas made at Arsenal Works (or following up workshops) in Kiew, Ukrainia . Prakticar is a brand of VEB Pentacon. Most Prakticars were made at Feinoptische Werke (FOW) H. Meyer, Görlitz ( Niederschlesien) . Görlitz is a town in state of Saxony near the polish Border. In late 1980ies photooptical workshops in the former GDR were concentrated in the VEB Pentacon, Dresden brand , which was part of the VEB Carl Zeiss, Jena combinate (concern). But most of the Prakticar lenses were manucfactured in Görlitz and were Meyer constructions, some in Bukarest at FOM (e.g. the Standard 1.8/50mm Prakticar for 135 Cameras). Up from 1985 only some were made at Carl Zeiss workshops in Saalfeld (Thuringia) (eg. Vario-Pancolar/Vario Prakticar 35-70mm, Vario Sonnar/ Vario Prakticar 80-200mm). In the End of the 1980ies all Prakticar -B lenses from VEB Carl Zeiss for 135 camaras were labeled as "Prakticars", till the mid 80ies these lenses had still the tradional Zeiss names (Flektogon, Biogon, Biometar, Pancolar , Tessar, Sonnar, Vario-Pancolar, Vario Sonnar) The label for medium format lenses were never merges till 1990. The labeling was Prakticar = VEB FOW Meyer, Görlitz; Flektogon, Biometar, Sonnar = VEB Carl Zeiss Jena, factory Saalfeld.
02-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Arsat 30mm fisheye on the 645D

Finally tried out the Arsat 30mm with adapter on the 645D, and here are three test shots. This appears to be a very sharp lens for a fisheye. For outside/landscape photos, it is easy to overlook the distortion effect one expects with a fisheye; if you see the scene and then compare the image you can tell, but if you are seeing the image without having seen the scene, you can overlook the fisheye distortion unless you are really looking for it. Indoors, however the fisheye effect becomes quite obvious. The lens ought to be useful to real estate folks needing indoor house shots. I think I am going to enjoy using this lens--nice that it focuses in the Pentax manner, turning all the way to the right for infinity, whereas most of the CZJ lenses seem to turn in the opposite direction.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
The Arsatwas made at Arsenal Works (or following up workshops) in Kiew, Ukrainia . Prakticar is a brand of VEB Pentacon. Most Prakticars were made at Feinoptische Werke (FOW) H. Meyer, Görlitz ( Niederschlesien) . Görlitz is a town in state of Saxony near the polish Border. In late 1980ies photooptical workshops in the former GDR were concentrated in the VEB Pentacon, Dresden brand , which was part of the VEB Carl Zeiss, Jena combinate (concern). But most of the Prakticar lenses were manucfactured in Görlitz and were Meyer constructions, some in Bukarest at FOM (e.g. the Standard 1.8/50mm Prakticar for 135 Cameras). Up from 1985 only some were made at Carl Zeiss workshops in Saalfeld (Thuringia) (eg. Vario-Pancolar/Vario Prakticar 35-70mm, Vario Sonnar/ Vario Prakticar 80-200mm). In the End of the 1980ies all Prakticar -B lenses from VEB Carl Zeiss for 135 camaras were labeled as "Prakticars", till the mid 80ies these lenses had still the tradional Zeiss names (Flektogon, Biogon, Biometar, Pancolar , Tessar, Sonnar, Vario-Pancolar, Vario Sonnar) The label for medium format lenses were never merges till 1990. The labeling was Prakticar = VEB FOW Meyer, Görlitz; Flektogon, Biometar, Sonnar = VEB Carl Zeiss Jena, factory Saalfeld.
Thank you for this detailed information.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 06:43 PM ----------

I am asking the moderators if they can turn this thread into a Lens Club under the name: "CZJ and Related Lenses Adapted to Full-Frame and 645 Formats"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo